Thread: House of Commons Committee want your views on accessibility of public transport

House of Commons Committee want your views on accessibility of public transport

Do you want to have your say on access to transport for people with disabilities?

The House of Commons Transport Committee have launched a web forum seeking views for its current inquiry on the accessibility of public transport.

It is intended to provide another way of hearing the experiences and ideas of users, carers and providers of transport.

It will inform the Committee members and support their questioning of the Minister, Norman Baker MP, when he appears to give oral evidence on 3 June 2013, so please ensure your comments are posted before then.

The Committee would particularly like to hear of your experiences and views on three key areas:

• physical accessibility
    • travel information
    • staff assistance

If you would like to have your say visit www.parliament.uk/access-to-transport-forum

Thank you.

Houses of Parliament Outreach Service
    www.parliament.uk/outreach

Access to buses and trains for all classes of mobility scooters not just 'Carry ons'.
    Lets be real here most people who use mobility scooters do so for a reason and they use them mainly without someone accompanying them. So, expecting a scooter user to disassemble their own scooter and then carry it on the bus/train is impossible.
    Trains although you are required to register yourself for a scooter permit to travel with your mobility scooter - you are limited to the make, model and class of scooter/electric wheelchair that you can travel with. Make this so all classes of electric Scooters and wheelchairs can travel. We have no choice but to use these forms of equipment but we should have a choice to travel further than 'Our garden gate' too.
    Whilst I can't fault the trains and in particular FGW for their dedicated Assisted Travel Team and Service, something needs to be done to broaden accessibility to All disabled people.
    I believe each bus operator should have at least ONE bus on each main route that can accommodate one wheelchair space and one scooter space - I for one am fed up of having to argue with parents with pushchairs who think its their god given right to not fold it down when asked to give up their seat for a disabled person. (Personally think the bus operators should impose penalty fares to those that do refuse!)
    I am being forced into learning to drive to maintain my independence and get back to the work place but as a user of a class 3 mobility scooter, I need to purchase a medium sized wheelchair accessible vehicle just for me and my mobility scooter. No chance of me reducing my carbon footprint!

I have proudly used public transport for most of my life but rather like my life those are in days of old, a bygone era.
    Last edited by Tigerlily; 10-05-13 at 16:30.

The thing that makes me mad is when people on the bus who are using the disabled seats when they clearly have no need of them. Then when a disabled person gets on the bus, they sit there, refusing to look at the disabled person or give up the seat. Bus drivers should say something to these people to make them give up the disabled seat if they do not need it. I do not use the bus anymore, partly because of this and partly because I almost always have to use my wheelchair when going out. As Tigerlily said, pushchairs have more priority than wheelchairs.
    Out of interest has anyone been to the web forum mentioned?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

My car broke down a while back and i had trouble finding a competent mechanic to fix it, as soon as i told them it was a Citroen C5, most just told me they weren't interested.
    3 months it was off the road for, but in that time i had to use the bus a few times, but was largely housebound. My own personal experience was painful, but i bumped into a woman in an electric wheelchair a couple of times and got talking with her. She had nothing nice to say about local taxi companies, around here they are supposed to be wheelchair accessible, but she told me there was just one single taxi in the whole region that was able to accommodate her wheelchair.
    She also told me of the difficulties she had with the buses, many weren't able to take her chair, often leaving her waiting at a bus stop for as much as an hour.
    And whilst on the bus with her, there were two occasions where the bus could not admit a young mum with a baby in a pram (because the space was taken up by the wheelchair) and another occasion where another wheelchair user couldn't get on.

I'm no expert, having used the bus on just a handful of occasions in many years, but in just those few times i could see the problems people with wheelchairs and prams would have to face on a regular basis.

CL, what's this TV programme? I noticed you making reference to it in another post somewhere along the line... is it due to air any time soon?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

UPDATE: Having your say to MPs on access to transport for people with disabilities

Just wanted to post a quick message of thanks to all users of the YoureAble forum who have contributed so far to the House of Commons Transport Committee’s web forum on the accessibility of public transport.

As mentioned in the earlier post above, the forum is another way for the Committee to hear the experiences and ideas of users, carers and providers of transport. Your comments will support the Committee members’ questioning of the Minister, Norman Baker MP when he appears before them on Monday 3 June 2013.

For those who have not yet had their say, the Committee’s forum is on the Parliament website at www.parliament.uk/access-to-transport-forum.

Thank you once again.

UPDATE: Having your say to MPs on access to transport for people with disabilities

Thanks again to those users of the YoureAble forum who contributed to the House of Commons Transport Committee’s web forum on the accessibility of public transport.

For those interested in this inquiry, the Minister, Norman Baker MP, appeared before the Transport Committee on Monday 3 June 2013.

Video of the Transport Minister's evidence to the Committee is available on the Parliament website.

Thank you again.