Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Council Property Kitchen Needs Remodelling

Council Property Kitchen Needs Remodelling

Hi all.

Can anyone advise me on how to go about getting my kitchen remodelled by the council to make it more suitable for my needs?
    I currently am not receiving ANY help from social services other than equipment loans to 'service my independence'. (really I need a carer for 20 - 25 hours per week but doubt that will ever happen!)
    I am unable to stand for longer than three minutes without becoming unsteady on my feet and in pain. I refuse to use a wheelchair as I can ambulate short distances with crutches.
    I am struggling with the day to day management of my home and live alone. Despite three OT assessments, they just keep dishing out 'equipment to aid daily living'.
    As I can't stand for very long periods ( any thing over 3 minutes is a long period to me) and struggle to reach the cupboards above shoulder height, can't wash up pots, haven't been able to prepare a home cooked meal in two years (takeaways are my lifeline and its beginning to show too!), I am looking to ask the council to adapt my kitchen to better accommodate my needs. My bungalow is a shoe box at best, I desperately need a dishwasher and accessible cupboards that don't require me to wait until friends come to visit to wash up, or kneel down to fetch a cup out of the cupboard or a tupperware pot.
    I don't have a full cooker through choice - what's the point, I can't use it safely without falling over. I only use a tabletop oven when I have my friends visit.
    How and where do I start?

Hi Tigerlily
    I sympathise totally as I have the same problems. Despite being on HRC and HRM, I have been turned down for the adaptations I need. I hope you have better luck and wish you all the best.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffLady View Post
    Hi Tigerlily, just had a new kitchen - compliments of my local Council. Waiting on my new bathroom.

Ok first off you can 'self refer' to Occupational Therapist Department. After 18 months waiting after a GP referral - gave up and self referred and within 3 weeks they came out to see me.

Discussed what was required etc...

Sorted out paperwork to see if I was eligible i.e. Benefits etc. Signed paperwork for them to choose their own builders etc within about 4 weeks a Surveyor will be out to see me to discuss the new bathroom layout (for my needs). Since first signing the paperwork, had a confirmation letter to say they (Council) have agreed free of charge to me, to employ a surveyor, builder and rip out bathroom and start all over again.

This is now 3 weeks. So not much longer. After the surveyor has been, been told it is then down to the availability of the builder (when they are free) etc.

So the basics are you must be in receipt of Benefits - little or no savings etc.
    thanks CardiffLady

I am under Social Services adult and community team, if I get my friends to all call the careline and ask for a reassessment maybe they will stand up and pay attention - as I have previously asked for a new assessment of my needs myself but was refused, despite not having been assessed for over 16 months!
    Ho hum, will move forward with the phone calls to ACTSS then wait and see what happens next, fingers crossed x

Brilliant advice Cardiff . I am going to ask for my ( stops to laugh ) minuscule kitchen to be redesigned ( oh dear , my ' kitchen' is all of 6ft by 4ft) Only 2 worktops , each one is abut 2ft long

Quote Originally Posted by goosegog View Post
    Brilliant advice Cardiff . I am going to ask for my ( stops to laugh ) minuscule kitchen to be redesigned ( oh dear , my ' kitchen' is all of 6ft by 4ft) Only 2 worktops , each one is abut 2ft long
    yes definately speak to OT, ask about something called a disabled facilities grant

Thanks xx so much... o happy dayz maybe

I'm in same position as you my council have said they are very sorry but they don't have the funds to alter my kitchen i don't use the cupboards on the wall, i couldn't afford take outs i have ready meals just put them in a small plug in oven, so i never have more than a dish or plate to wash up no pans, i have a table thing on wheels i sometimes put a small bowl on it put it by sink use jug to put water in it then sit on chair to us that to wash up in. Kitchen here is very narrow my last one was square so there i got a walker with a seat on and used to use that around the kitchen, only moved here as it had a wet room as i could no longer use a bath. I have rang round different places but if council say have no funds then there is nothing you can do. I hope in your case you can get something sorted good luck

It sounds like you need to apply for a DFG - disabled facilities grant. Though to be honest I think a dishwasher is pushing it. DASC - dept of adult social care don't care what state your house is in and I'm guessing they've supplied you with a perching stool - useless I know !

So if you haven't already done so, like everyone has said before you need to self refer to your housing OT

GOOD LUCK TL

It's not economical for the Council to pop a new kitchen in here and there. They usually have a rolling programme of works for refurbishment street by street.

I'm surprised if your home hasn't had a new kitchen or bathroom put in over the last four years to have met with the decent homes standard.

Strange as it may seem I've to two dishwashes - one built in the kitchen and a boxed up new one in the bedroom - you could have had it but it's being collected after the bank holiday! I still do the dish washing by hand as there's only me here at the moment

Hi Tigerlily. I phoned the Disabled Facilities Team (DFT)of Adult Social Services, they came out to assess, and I was granted a new wetroom, once they had funds, I received a phone call to say when work would be starting. This was last year. My bungalow is not Council, so I don't think it matters whether private or Council, simply based upon your needs.

Therefore, in view of your difficulties in the kitchen, I would hope the DFT will push through for you.

I have the usual in my kitchen, perching stool, swivel taps, and various small aids e.g ring pull thingymyjig, rubber screwy wotsit for jars etc. My point is, I manage like that, but some, like yourself cannot, and need help. Or maybe you could receive home visits from Social Care for meals etc.