Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else agree with this? antibiotic cure back pain.

Post Anyone else agree with this? antibiotic cure back pain.

found an interesting article regarding the use of antibiotics to cure 40% back pain but for me not sure why this would work and there are lots of risks from the over use of such medications including host of side affects, sickness to mouth problems etc.

i am diagnosed with chronic pain, have to use antibiotics for a condition i have when it flares up but never have they got rid of my chronic pain so would be interesting hearing views from others.

there were other news articles with concerns to the over use of antibiotics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...-patients.html

In my scientific opinion, I'd like more information.
    The study sample of 162 patients isn't exactly massive, and the Telegraph seems to think that 40% of chronic back pain is caused by herniated discs - which is the only thing that this will treat, and then possibly only 80% of those.

There needs to be a larger study.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

yes a larger study is needed and as you say paul if it only treats herniated discs many others with chronic back pain may not benefit. I also have chronic pain in my back as well as wide spread pain and have lots of anti biotic treatments (suppressed immune system) but have never felt any pain reduction but I hope it will work for some

Like you i have antibiotics for another condition that i take when i have a flare up but doesn't help my back probs. But I think i know how they have come up with this view, several years ago i woke up and could hardly walk for 3 days i had to crawl around and that was even painful in my back i was taken to hospital they did tests and said i had some type of virus and since my spine was my weak point that it was attacking that area they gave me high dose antibiotics and after a few days this new pain had gone and i was back to normal. It's happened a few times since straight away they give me antibiotics without tests and it works. It was explained to me that when you have problems with your bones, joints, muscles anywhere in your body it was believed that certain viruses that would make most people just feel achey and rough etc on someone with problems that had been there a long time the virus focuses mainly on that part and in my case having metal in my back made it my weakest point.
    So there you go that's my experience mikey and how i think these findings have come about.

I'm not disagreeing with the findings, and I hope they used double-blind procedures but the article in the Telegraph is very misleading.

Up to 40% of the 5 million people with back problems could be cured = 2 million people, I doubt that 40% of chronic conditions are caused by herniated discs.

Also if there are 2 million people with herniated discs, then surely they have enough people to do a larger study.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    In my scientific opinion, I'd like more information.
    The study sample of 162 patients isn't exactly massive, and the Telegraph seems to think that 40% of chronic back pain is caused by herniated discs - which is the only thing that this will treat, and then possibly only 80% of those.

There needs to be a larger study.
    162 not big? about right for 2nd stage.............you would be worried if you knew the size of some trials and the long term affects on people when the MMR panic started that was based on 11 children, some who did not even know they where giving blood at a childrens party.

1st stage given to 20 80 people

2nd stage 100 to 300

3rd stage 1,000 to 3,000

I have taken part in many trials and not for pay I wont take it, I do it to give back and of course I get extra checking of my health problems and reports from top experts but the average pay is £1,300 a bash !
    Last edited by davewhit; 12-05-13 at 10:49.

The cynical side of me thinks the government will find a way to use this to stop people with back pain from claiming benefits...
    Illegitimi non carborundum

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by googlybear View Post
    The cynical side of me thinks the government will find a way to use this to stop people with back pain from claiming benefits...
    It is an area they have always had there sights on in fact its one area when MPs speak they seem to pick on with comments like
    "been on IB for ten years just with back pain" I am sure I have heard IDS use this comment more than once

SOOOO interesting, I always shed fluid when on Abs, leading to a reduction of my chronic backpain, literally just started with my fourth chest infection of the winter and in four days have lost half a stone in weight and am def more able, only problem is about 3 days after i finish the course i put the fluid back on 2lbs a day and mobility reduces back down to 1 metre an hour with a rest every 2 mins! Just think how marvellous it'll be for all those people with this grinding pain (a lot of us can't take or tolerate pain meds) to have relief. And at least it'd explain the fluid loss for me. Woo-hoo I hope its true!