Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Kitchen for a few days, not sure how I will manage.

No Kitchen for a few days, not sure how I will manage.

Council have been out today about the kitchen floor. I need a new floor laid. This will take 3 or 4 days to do. They have to remove the old tiles and latex layer. Then redo the latex layer, wait for it to dry before laying new tiles. We have to completely clear the kitchen for them to do this. This means we will have the fridge and freezer in the (very small) lounge. Everything else , table and chairs etc will have to be moved into the spare room. This means my partner would not be able to use this room, he often has to use the room as my pain etc keeps me awake and restless. We are drafting in help from his Dad to help move everything, the cooker is electric and connected to a wall socket. We cannot afford an electrician to disconnect then reconnect it, so have been told to "put it on the worktop" by the council worker! On top of all this we will not be able to use the kitchen, so no washing machine, ( I have some bladder and bowel incontinence) which is a problem. My partner will be unable to prepare/cook meals. I cannot eat takeaway food due to IBD and other digestive problems. I am already getting so stressed out about all this and don't know how I am going to cope.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I sympathise having just had workmen in the house doing a list of jobs... and I have anxiety issues. We moved into this new build over a year ago (its housing association) and the builders have just got round to the snagging lists. A neighbours foot went straight through a stair step and on subsequent inspection many of the the stairs in the street had been badly installed. So we have all had floor boards and carpets ripped up. Holes cut in walls and ceilings for access and finally plasterers and decorators making good. At least it has jarred them into dealing with the snagging lists ... to keep the peace no doubt.

My point is, although the disruption was traumatic, the result is worth it and will be the same for you

oh babyblu64 i'm so sorry understand totally about you're washing needs and diet but try not to get stressed it's the worst thing for IBD's as you'll know you need to ask them when they plan to start the work you really don't want it to be close to the weekend . i know microwave meals arn't great but if you could arrange when the work starts maybe you're husband could cook some meals that could be stored then reheated good luck with it all and i'll be thinking of you but please don't get stressed

Thank you for the replies guys. Tatty, I hope it will be worth all the stress and upheaval, at least I will not be tripping on loose tiles anymore.
    acheron, I don't normally get this stressed, I am just feeling very poorly atm, so things are getting to me more than usual. We have a date for the work being done. I thought about the microwave idea myself, but not sure where we could put it. The lounge is really small and we are already going to have to move the fridge and freezer into there. We will not be able to get into the kitchen for at least 24 hrs, possibly 48hrs, so we could not even pop into the kitchen to use the microwave.
    To be honest, I just wish I could move out for a couple of days while the work is done, lol. I am sure, once I get my "sensible head" back on, I will be more organised and less stressed. I have just over a week before work starts so hopefully I will get things sorted.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    Thank you for the replies guys. Tatty, I hope it will be worth all the stress and upheaval, at least I will not be tripping on loose tiles anymore.
    Well I never - just coming nearer to the completion of a new kitchen.

This is the usual sequence of events.

I guess they are project managing and fitting doors and tops you selected and lighting.

Day 1 - kitchen ripped out - plumbing first fix
    Day 2 - kitchen flooring tiles ripped out and water based scread laid - this takes 8 hours to dry but they will
    Day 3 - electrics first fix - where ever you have single sockets ask if they will replace with double ones - also ask if they can lower the light switch fittings - it's the only chance you get
    Day 4,5 and 6 - plasterer moves in and patches up them adds two skims - one person
    Day 7 and 8 - plasterwork drying
    Day 9 ideally they should paint all new plasterwork with watered down emulsion while the kitchen is empty
    Day 10, 11, 12 13 - kitchen units being fitted together with worktops, appliances, final fix plumbing
    Day 14 Final fix electric lights, sockets, spots, under wall unit lights
    Day 15 refit new flooring - I went for Flotex as it's waterproof, non-slip and as it's textured it's warm under foot.
    Day 15 First coat of emulsion, wood primer on slirting boards
    Day 16 - Final coat of emulsion on ceiling and walls plus gloss doors, skirting.

I don't envy you - the dust gets everywhere!
    Food wise - I took my fridge into dining area together with microwave, kettle, mugs, plates, cereal etc - Had to use bathroom to wash pots in sink.

I had two skips here blocking the driveway - it is stressful but you'll be pleased with the end result.

I know of someone who lived in a Housing Association House who refused to have workmen in her home - so they agreed and had to keep her old kitchen. I reckon your HA will be putting in new kitchens in 20 houses or flats local to you. It's more cost effective to have them renewed in bulk than individually.

Don't forget to invite us around when it's ready.

I'll be putting a spread on next week when the dust has settled - you're all welcome :O)

I am a bit like you CardiffLady. I lived on my own for quite a while. Although I am now in a happy, stable relationship, I still like my own company and time on my own. I am not good at handling face to face situations, especially with strangers. Also I have OCD issues, so having people in my house is a huge stress. Luckily my OCD is not so much the cleaning side of things, but people in my space, touching my things etc. (I have been known to chuck a mug in the dustbin after a workman has drunk from it!). I am going to write a list of what needs to be done and organised before the work is started, (another OCD thing) and hope it makes me feel better about it all.

Talking of electrics - in my experience you won't be able to use the kitchen as the electrician disables all electricity in their - your plasterer will bring his own lamps if it's a dull day.

I put my microwave on top of the fridge with my kettle. You'll need an extension cable too.

Lighttouch I am not in your situation, thank goodness. Mine is just a new floor. The kitchen was done 3 yrs ago, so I am told anyway, (I have been here just under 2 yrs). Why the floor was not done then, or maybe it was and they did an appalling job, nobody seems to know if the floor was done or not! I don't have a choice of flooring, I would prefer lino tbh, but I have to have the tiles.
    I hope you are all sorted soon and able to enjoy your lovely new kitchen. Best of luck with it all.

babyblu64 writing a list will help you put things into order i know what you mean about having strangers in you're home i panic even when somethings being delivered and they have to bring it into the house i hope you've got someone with you when the work starts and buy some cheap mugs for the workmen then you can throw them when their done

On another note, we will have to move the washing mashine as well. I know we will have to turn water off while machine is disconnected. I have been told there should be a red and a green switch, to disconnect the machine without having to leave the water off while the work is done. If these switches are not there, would this mean having to leave the water off for 3 or 4 days? This can't be right, surely? Sorry, I am not very clued up with things like plumbing. The machine was here when I moved here, I did a mutual exchange and we agreed to swap machines, so I don't know how this one has been fitted.