Thread: ESA and doctor's report

Unhappy ESA and doctor's report

I have just sent back my ESA claim form, it took me a week to fill it in, and I was so stressed about it. There was a piece of info I wanted to send as an attachment, but I couldn't find it, so I asked the Dept for Work and Pensions if they could find a copy for me. They couldn't as it happens, but what they did do is send me everything they had a copy of.

This included an IB/ESA113 form filled in by my doctor in 2009. I am alarmed to note that on this form my doc wrote by painkillers 'on Tramadol - no effect on employment; at the 'walking, rising from sitting, picking up objects and reaching'bit - he had written possibly mild limitation, and the last question: Would your patient travel to an examintion centre by public transport of tax - he had put yes!

Well thanks, Doc.

I see him only when I have to. He only sees me walking in through his door to his desk. I don't moan about pain, but I have spinal injuries from a car accident which mean I cannot sit, stand, lie or walk very far without pain. As to waiting for a bus, I cannot stand waiting for a bus as it causes pain, and also sitting on a hard bus seat and being banged about causes even more.

Should I go and see him and explain that he doesn't know the half of it? I was awarded IB after this application when I had seen an NHS doctor at an ATOS medical! Or would this make him even more awkward in his responses? I assume that the latest ESA form will require another form from him - as the critera has changed, will something similar be taken note of to my detriment? He actually said that I didn't need a walking stick one time I visited using it - how would he know! I was having a really bad day that day - and I had gone to see him about vertigo caused by a blood pressure medication, it was the only thing keeping me upright!.

Should I send him a copy of the ESA form I've just filled in, so that he can note what he cannot see sitting at a desk when looking at me for five minutes?

Oh I don't know. Perhaps someone can advise.

i had the same thing done by my previous doctors and a form they filled in had not even been fully completed so this then triggered a review and a request for a medical, it was at that stage that i then got a second doctors report and was then told no medical was needed.

i have since changed doctors as i felt there was little support from them and my new doctors some 4 years now is very supportive and has produce an excellent report although not sure if it will do any good for the new ESA but one can only try.

To be fair to GP's, if you don't see them on a regular basis because of your disability etc, how are they supposed to really know the full extent of how anyones disability/condition affects them on a day to day basis?

it is a bit like a lottery game in which many will get good supporting doctors and then others will find a doctor who offer no support, there was an article about this calling them rigid doctors.

i had a very good example of this in which the doctor was very un-supportive and this in the end nearly cost me my life, a fresh start and a 5 minute examination plus ultrasound revealed the nature of the problem and thankfully the organ was removed.

the problem we do get is that we only have 5 to 10 mins to try and describe stuff which is very hard and people including me find describing the problem very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    To be fair to GP's, if you don't see them on a regular basis because of your disability etc, how are they supposed to really know the full extent of how anyone's disability/condition affects them on a day to day basis?
    I agree with you Rich. I rarely see my doctor for more than five minutes.... So why don't they bother to ask, instead of just filling the forms in like they do? From observing me walking into his room, and sitting down for five minutes, he wouldn't be aware of how much pain I am in on a constant basis.

Should I send him a note to explain? Would it make any difference? I'm presently awaiting the results of a transfer from IB to ESA, I know they will ask him to complete a form regarding my condition. If it's the same as the last one, I just don't think it will be supportive in the least.

I think a probelm with a lot of us is, we do not bother our GPs, we just get on with it. In my case, there is nothing my GP can do except prescribe meds. So I very rarely see him. Unless I get a bad infection or one of my conditions gets so bad I can't cope. I see my ashtma nurse for check ups and consultants at the hospital for several conditions, but the consultants also can do nothing, so you get to a stage of, " I may as well make the best of it".
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

What annoyed me about the report my Doc had sent in is that he had assumed I had 'mild' problems with walking, etc... and that I could get on a bus to get somewhere! I have a blue badge and an automatic car - no way can I use a bus to get anywhere, it would be too painful for me. However he doesn't know this, as he has never asked. You wouldn't get time to tell him either. Like you say BabyBlu, we don't bother our GP's as all they can do is prescribe meds. Mine sent me for hydrotherapy, and to the Pain Management clinic for treatment including painful lumbar injections. He never mentioned this in his report, but he could have.

So should I send him a letter and let him know what he doesn't see? I have a copy of the Atos report from the NHS doctor from back then, which is more favourable than my own doctor's report!

Maybe you could make an appt to see your GP and ask to discuss him updating your notes to include all the relevant info? Explain that things have changed with your illness/conditions. It would also be a good time to discuss meds, help available to you etc. Hopefully he/she would be understanding and willing to do what needs to be done to update your records. It does not have to be done because of ATOS, DWP etc, but to make sure all info is up to date for if you need hospital treatment or if a locum is standing in for your GP.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    Maybe you could make an appt to see your GP and ask to discuss him updating your notes to include all the relevant info? Explain that things have changed with your illness/conditions. It would also be a good time to discuss meds, help available to you etc. Hopefully he/she would be understanding and willing to do what needs to be done to update your records. It does not have to be done because of ATOS, DWP etc, but to make sure all info is up to date for if you need hospital treatment or if a locum is standing in for your GP.
    I would definitely ask for a face to face meeting with your GP if you have not seen them for a while, I had to go through a similar procedure this morning about a useless blunt and wrong initial letter from him, but only because he had referred me to see the dedicated GP's for my condition and his records were not up to date, but a quick call this morning to my Health Centre had him calling me back before mid day and he is helping much more.

I know its all very stressfully my friend, and only in the middle of it myself, but hang in there, help here is brilliant.