Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is responsible for repairing drains?

Who is responsible for repairing drains?

Not sure if anyone has any info on this, but here goes.

I have an access drain in my back garden, with the standard grey metal cover. The problem is that the concrete around it has been very poorly laid. It is very uneven, cracking and bits breaking off. As I have bad mobility/walking problems, this is in my opinion a risk to my safety. I have tripped several times on the uneven surface. I have emailed my water company today to try and find out who is responsible to maintain/repair the area.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any info on this while I am waiting for them to reply. I have looked on their website, but the information is very basic and confusing. I don't want to telphone them if I can avoid it as I get very flustered and stressed talking to people on the phone.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    Not sure if anyone has any info on this, but here goes.

I have an access drain in my back garden, with the standard grey metal cover. The problem is that the concrete around it has been very poorly laid. It is very uneven, cracking and bits breaking off. As I have bad mobility/walking problems, this is in my opinion a risk to my safety. I have tripped several times on the uneven surface. I have emailed my water company today to try and find out who is responsible to maintain/repair the area.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any info on this while I am waiting for them to reply. I have looked on their website, but the information is very basic and confusing. I don't want to telphone them if I can avoid it as I get very flustered and stressed talking to people on the phone.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.
    AFAIK if it is on your property it is your responsibility, especially as it is the cover, as this will have been done by the builder of the property not the water company.

So would that mean the council are responsible?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    So would that mean the council are responsible?
    If it is a council property then most definetly.

If you own the property then you are responsible for water services back to the spur for the mains supply and main sewer connection. Most water companies have been trying to sell a monthly "insurance" for repairs to theseconnections for the last few years.

If its a rented property your issue is with the landlord.

Thank you very much wobble. I will contact the council then. Although, I don't hold out much hope with my council tbh. We had a decent homes survey carried out on behalf of the council last year, which found several problems with the property and so far the council have done nothing. I have written to them about it, but they cite "budget restraints".l

yes i use to work as a bricklayer and we use to repair alot of manholes the surrounding concrete should be removed and repaired and it may need a new cover and frame this is you're councils duty

If you feel it is a real danger then they have a duty. Tell them you are going to contact the ombudsman.

I will get in touch with them today. I do believe it is dangerous, like I say, I have had a few trips and almost fallen. Also, the fact it is breaking up makes me have visions of disappearing down the sewers, lol.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatty_Tat View Post
    If you own the property then you are responsible for water services back to the spur for the mains supply and main sewer connection. Most water companies have been trying to sell a monthly "insurance" for repairs to theseconnections for the last few years.

If its a rented property your issue is with the landlord.
    the law changed this year and in many cases even drains on your own property are now the problem of the water company in your area they should have on there web site a picture of each type of house and how the new rules affect you we own our house and because of how the regulations use to work we where resonsable for our house and a feeder block from2 other houses for which we did have insurance the law changed water company now take over from where the first length of pipe leaves our house and they still try and sell insurance

this is the pages our company put up when the law changed even a film on drains

http://www.southernwater.co.uk/at-ho...rship-changes/