Thread: Pension Credit claim gets closed down

Pension Credit claim gets closed down

Hello, I hope you deal with the older person.

I claimed Pension Credit in May 2012 at the same time that my wife made a claim for Attendance Allowance. The Pension Credit claim was refused as our income was just over the limit by £8.

So we waited until we had my wife's Attendance Allowance award which came through in January 2013. I put another Pension credit claim in on the 13th January 2013 knowing that the amount we are entitled to would have gone up because of the Attendance Allowance claim and the Carers claim. The Turn2us website and the Pension Credit calculator both said that we should get just over £117 a week.

They closed that claim down on the because we were too slow in getting the evidence from the insurance companies for the Pension Credit people - they only gave us until the 27th February 2013 to supply everything.

Waited a a few weeks and put in another Pension Credit claim - 18th March 2013.
    Just had a letter today that that claim has been closed down due lack of evidence. They did say in the letter not to make another claim until we are certain that all of the evidence they may need is with us as they will only allow 31 days from the date it is made.

When can we put in another claim? Can it be backdated to May 2012?

They keep asking for different bits of information. We don't know what they want.

I did ask them when I rang them up if they would send someone round which they refused as we have been able to fill in three claims so far and don't need any help.

Quote Originally Posted by tenpete View Post
    Hello, I hope you deal with the older person.

I claimed Pension Credit in May 2012 at the same time that my wife made a claim for Attendance Allowance. The Pension Credit claim was refused as our income was just over the limit by £8.

So we waited until we had my wife's Attendance Allowance award which came through in January 2013. I put another Pension credit claim in on the 13th January 2013 knowing that the amount we are entitled to would have gone up because of the Attendance Allowance claim and the Carers claim. The Turn2us website and the Pension Credit calculator both said that we should get just over £117 a week.

They closed that claim down on the because we were too slow in getting the evidence from the insurance companies for the Pension Credit people - they only gave us until the 27th February 2013 to supply everything.

Waited a a few weeks and put in another Pension Credit claim - 18th March 2013.
    Just had a letter today that that claim has been closed down due lack of evidence. They did say in the letter not to make another claim until we are certain that all of the evidence they may need is with us as they will only allow 31 days from the date it is made.

When can we put in another claim? Can it be backdated to May 2012?

They keep asking for different bits of information. We don't know what they want.

I did ask them when I rang them up if they would send someone round which they refused as we have been able to fill in three claims so far and don't need any help.
    I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you better than i can but i would say go to CAB (citizens advice) for advice as they are really good at helping you sort out paper work for benefits sorry i cant be more help

Hmm, not sure about this one. If you fail to supply information or provide it late, the claim can be deemed defective and terminated. the question is, 1) were the requests reasonable and 2) did they give you enough time to get them? Get some advice from a benefits adviser who hopefully can get the info together and quote legislation where appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Unruhe View Post
    Hmm, not sure about this one. If you fail to supply information or provide it late, the claim can be deemed defective and terminated. the question is, 1) were the requests reasonable and 2) did they give you enough time to get them? Get some advice from a benefits adviser who hopefully can get the info together and quote legislation where appropriate.
    1. I would say so. They wanted evidence about all of my pensions, bank accounts (wanted to go back 12 months worth), and self employment.
    The list was endless and having to obtain the vast majority of it direct from the third parties involved, I was at there mercy when they would send it to me.

2. Time? Obviously not. But they stated that I was required by law to send all of the info in within the 31 day period from when I completed the form.

Quote Originally Posted by MUD View Post
    The same happened to me 2011, received request the day before the bank Holiday and the Royal Wedding, even had a 3 way conversation between Prnsion Credit and my Pension Company, waited from February when I put in the claim and they told me no in June, even now their calculator tells me I am entitled to £48 per week even yhe Pension Credit employee who filled in the form 2 weeks ago said I was entitled only to ring back and say No I'm not entitled, after 30 mins.

Pension Credit can be backdated 3 months from the day you claim, if you was entitled for those 3 months.

Contact Age UK, and ask for someone to come and help you fill in any forms for you. I rang them and they sent someone out.

Good Luck
    Thanks. I have been in touch already with AgeUK and they have a 7 week waiting list to make an appointment to help filling out the form. I asked if they could help get the evidence together, they said no.

Filling the form out isn't a problem, it's having to get updated figures from all of my pensions relevant to the date when I complete the form. The Pension Service would not accept the evidence I got together for the second claim of Januray 2013 when I claimed again in March 2013. They wanted 'new and updated' evidence even though most of what I had was only a week or two old. So I gathered this 'new' evidence but once again it was too late.

I should have told the Pension Service that I need help filling out the form and they would have sent someone out.

Putting in a new claim now will mean I will have to once again get 'new' evidence from everyone and just hope that it arrives within the 31 day period.

So far I have the evidence (two lots of it) to back everything up dated February/March 2013 (second claim) and April 2013 (third claim).

The only way I can see this working is if I ask again for the evidence and when it comes in, put in a new claim - which means that the time for backdating keeps on rolling on.

Yes - the only way is to get the evidence first. For pensions you should now have all the April 2013 updated figures to hand. Banks can take a while to issue statements, but they will tell you how long they will take to arrive so you can try to time your next PC claim request.
    I am a bit surprised that you are experiencing these problems with the Pensions Service. Usually they are very helpful. And for them to say that 'new' evidence means something less than a couple of weeks old seems quite ludicrous. Pension increases are normally always applied in April, and that one increase notice is accepted for Housing and Council Tax benefit purposes so I can't understand why the PC people are being so prescriptive.