Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blog: Would you park in a disabled bay?

Blog: Would you park in a disabled bay?

Would you park in a disabled bay when you have no right? Motoring writer Maria McCarthy explains why selfish parking of this sort gets her goat.

I'm fairly even-tempered, but there are a few things guaranteed to send me off the deep end.

One of them is when able-bodied people park in disabled bays.

So when I heard that George Osborne's driver parked in one while the Chancellor popped into a motorway service station to buy his lunch I was furious.

My late father had MS so I am very familiar with the problems faced by wheelchair users and those with limited mobility.

Read more: http://www.confused.com/news-views/b...#ixzz2REXVYw7k
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

It appears that more and more able bodied people park in disabled bays. It seems prevalent at supermarkets where the number of bays are restricted. I was asking myself how these are policed. Our local supermarket has a parking attendant who is there to police those that park and don't shop - but does he vet the disabled bays for badge holders?

Equally when we shop in MK there are a huge amount of bays but always seem taken. I have seen many cars that display no badge.

How can this be stopped? What can we do?

Quote Originally Posted by ironica View Post
    It appears that more and more able bodied people park in disabled bays. It seems prevalent at supermarkets where the number of bays are restricted. I was asking myself how these are policed. Our local supermarket has a parking attendant who is there to police those that park and don't shop - but does he vet the disabled bays for badge holders?

Equally when we shop in MK there are a huge amount of bays but always seem taken. I have seen many cars that display no badge.

How can this be stopped? What can we do?
    Unless a supermarket car park is being run by or on behalf of your local council, then markings have no legal standing.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhxu View Post
    Unless a supermarket car park is being run by or on behalf of your local council, then markings have no legal standing.
    They don't, but there is a moral issue.

The article has some interesting points, especially regarding too many bays in some areas - a reason I here all the time by the able-bodied for parking in the bays. And they are right, in some places there are far too many bays, the planners need to do research before painting too many bays.

There must be a way of stopping the abuse not with FPNs or other non-enforceable tickets, but with teaching people - perhaps courses similar to the speed awareness course you get if caught speeding, a disability awareness course!

With the way that disabled people are portrayed as benefit cheats in the media it's no wonder the bays are held with such contempt.
    Motability Car History
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

So who is to stop them, they do what they like with YOU, does anyone actually believe they can be held accountable, if so tell me "By Who".
    As for moral issue, take a look around, do you see any of these government Leeches adhering to any morals at all in their world or yours, i am afraid they do not even know you exist.

I think there has been a big problem in the past with BB abuse which the general public still have issue with.
    The other problem is that when you give certain rights to certain people, then others feel their rights are ignored.
    People feel they have the right to park where they want.
    I sometimes wonder, what do BB holders do when all the BB parking is full.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    I think there has been a big problem in the past with BB abuse which the general public still have issue with.
    The other problem is that when you give certain rights to certain people, then others feel their rights are ignored.
    People feel they have the right to park where they want.
    I sometimes wonder, what do BB holders do when all the BB parking is full.
    Most BB holders park in parent and child bays when disabled bays, myself included but i have young children aswell.

I don't, I tend to either go home and try to park another day or if it's urgent I'll park across two standard bays at the back of the carpark.
    Motability Car History

Unfortunately there is a lot of BB mis use in our area and as such the designated bays get taken up so this results in having to park in normal or parent and child bays, makes shopping on a friday morning interesting, got to the point now we wait and go on a monday.

For the same reason we go at 7 ish on a Saturday night and can always get a spot.