Thread: DLA and PIP

DLA and PIP

Why are people rushing to get DLA before PIP comes in. DLA will stop and the new benefit PIP will replace it. It has a completely dif criteriea and getting DLA is not going to help, you will go through all the stress of applying for DLA and have to go through the same proceedure again in a couple years time, am I right or wrong . Stu

The whole idea of PIP is that, allegedly, it's going to be harder to get than DLA. I've too have read stories that some are rushing to get a few quid from DLA before it ends - probably knowing that they'll more than likely get nothing from the harsher PIP scheme. Bizarre.

Is there really a rush on or is it propaganda to make DLA claimants look like coniving scroungers to Daily Mail readers?

Quote Originally Posted by StueyR View Post
    Why are people rushing to get DLA before PIP comes in. DLA will stop and the new benefit PIP will replace it. It has a completely dif criteriea and getting DLA is not going to help, you will go through all the stress of applying for DLA and have to go through the same proceedure again in a couple years time, am I right or wrong . Stu
    I think you'll find all your questions answered under similar threads in the motoring section.

Just to clarify

- PIP has started in pilot areas. And you can't apply for DLA in these pilot areas.
    - If your DLA expires you will be asked to apply for PIP. If you don't DLA won't carry on paying money it just stops
    - the government isn't targeting under 16s or over 65s - yet
    - people in receipt of DLA 'indefinitely' won't be asked to apply for a few years yet
    - if you get DLA and your health gets worse while on 'indefinite' in a pilot area you'll be tested using the new PIP benefit descriptors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatty_Tat View Post
    Is there really a rush on or is it propaganda to make DLA claimants look like coniving scroungers to Daily Mail readers?
    its all propaganda.i cant remember where i read it but the government have just fiddled the figures round to suit themselves and DM readers.its a load of rubbish but some people WILL believe it

Hi Stuey and ors, You may find the following interesting:

'An influential Commons committee could be set to investigate the use of misleading statistics on disability benefits by Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) ministers.

Work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith and his colleague Esther McVey, the minister for disabled people, have been criticised in the last month for using misleading statistics on disability living allowance (DLA) to try to justify their welfare reforms.

They were the latest in a long list of examples of Conservative DWP ministers being criticised for misusing figures about disability benefits.

Now a Labour member of the work and pensions select committee has said enough is enough.

Sheila Gilmore told Disability News Service that the practice “has to stop”.

She said: “This is just the latest example of Tory ministers knowingly misusing figures on benefits that disabled people rely on.

“This is part of a campaign to undermine public trust in the UK’s welfare system, which has afforded the government cover. In its attempts to reduce the deficit, cutting benefits is seen as more of a priority than taxing the richest.

“So we have to fight back. As a member of the work and pensions select committee, I will now push for an inquiry into the misuse of statistics by ministers. This would send a message that this practice has to stop.”

The committee – which is chaired by the disabled Labour MP Dame Anne Begg – is due to decide in the next few weeks which new inquiries it plans to tackle.

Tracey Lazard, chief executive of Inclusion London, said her organisation would “very much welcome” a decision by the committee to investigate the issue.

She said: “It is ongoing and we think it is contributing to the whole hostile climate against disabled people, as well as misleading the public. We would welcome some scrutiny.”

You can find the full article below:

http://rosecrystal.blog.co.uk/2013/0...tats-15774397/

This also gives many examples of where IDS and McVey have used spin and lies to get the public to ask themselves they very same question raised in the 1st post.

So, katrina451 is correct. It is all complete propoganda and a few other choice descript words too!