Thread: Who to vote for

iron legs

Who to vote for

In the letter pages of the sunday papers this morning
    a reader writes about who would you like to vote for
    and should we change the system of political party's
    i think he has a very good point here is the the letter
    what are your opinions on this subject

At the last UK general election, 47% of those eligible to vote chose not to. That's a lot of lost votes.
    One has to ask, why? A small proportion may have just been too idle to get up, switch off the TV and venture out to a polling station but I fancy that the vast majority didn't vote because they could not identify with anyone on the ballot paper. There was no-one who, they felt, could truly represent them at Westminster.
    I would submit that the problem lies with "political parties" and that it's time to do away with them altogether.
    Next time, identify the best INDEPENDENT candidate for your constituency - someone who is really going to look after the needs of ALL the constituents and not just those who voted for them.
    A parliament made up of a majority of independent MP's - sidelining once and for all the established political parties will stand Britain on her head and for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by iron legs View Post
    In the letter pages of the sunday papers this morning
    a reader writes about who would you like to vote for
    and should we change the system of political party's
    i think he has a very good point here is the the letter
    what are your opinions on this subject

At the last UK general election, 47% of those eligible to vote chose not to. That's a lot of lost votes.
    One has to ask, why? A small proportion may have just been too idle to get up, switch off the TV and venture out to a polling station but I fancy that the vast majority didn't vote because they could not identify with anyone on the ballot paper. There was no-one who, they felt, could truly represent them at Westminster.
    I would submit that the problem lies with "political parties" and that it's time to do away with them altogether.
    Next time, identify the best INDEPENDENT candidate for your constituency - someone who is really going to look after the needs of ALL the constituents and not just those who voted for them.
    A parliament made up of a majority of independent MP's - sidelining once and for all the established political parties will stand Britain on her head and for the better.
    Coalition of resistance.

I have to admit, I am one of those "non voters". At the age of 49 now, I have only voted twice. Both times in local elections. For me it has always been a matter of not identifying with any one party or their policies. Also the cynic in me never believes a word that any of them say. Parliament and government are supposed to be "by the people, for the people", (not sure I have the phrase 100% correct, but along those lines). Unfortunately, this is not the case, all parties have their own agenda and are not in touch with the majority. They pander to niche groups and turn people against each other to cover up their own shortcomings. Worst of all is the loss of national pride. It should not be about obeying Europe, setting one group of people against another or begging for a particular groups vote. It should be about being proud of who we are, standing against Europe and others who want to dictate to us, take our money and give nothing in return. I am afraid that at some point in the near future this country will spontaneously self combust due to mismanagement, financial ruin and a complete lack of trust of those in power, whoever they may be.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I think the percentage of people who can not be bothered to vote is higher than you suggest. I know a number of people who have never voted, be it in general or local elections. I always vote, I even took the time in the police commissioner election recently to review the candidates and vote. I feel it is my duty to vote.

However, I do understand you point about the party system. I likd the theory of totally independent MPs but find it hard to believe such a body of people would agree about anything, except their expenses perhaps!

I would like to see voting a legal requirement, but with the option of 'none of the above' on the ballot paper. I would also like to see few MPs, perhaps 300+ rather than 600+, and the removal of the party whip system to increase independance within the party system.

I would also like to see MPs how have done jobs before they stand, maybe make it a requirement.

I know who I will be voting for at least in the local elections, but that is down to what that party have done for us locally. They distribute monthly newsletters that tell us residents about the plans of the local government and what they have managed to do on our behalf.
    This party aren't in power and yet give us far more information than the party that is.

I won't be voting for this party in the national elections though, so maybe it is down to the actual MPs that you trust.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

iron legs
    Oh boy i agree with all the post on here every one of you has some brilliant points to make about politics and the voting system to be honest i would like it if we /i could integrate the system of a general election with local election and like paul says there are organisations that are not in power that make things happen at local level perhaps this could be a pointer in the right direction

I've always said that you can't have democracy in a party political system. I'd like to see all MPs as Independents.