Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husband being made redundant

Husband being made redundant

Hi ,

Hoping to get some advise.Im claiming ESA in support group,get DLA high rate and Mobility High rate.Have 2 dependant children.age 15 and 17 in full time education.My husband age 52 is about to be made redundant,got told the bomb shell yesterday.Tried looking on the gov benefit check to see what to do and what we can claim,but its not very clear.Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Is he caring for you? If he claims Carers Allowance, he can also claim Income Support. You could claim ESA as a couple, but you'll be better off with your husband being the claimant for IS and you down as the partner. This can include help with mortgage interest after 13 weeks so make sure you ask to fill in a form for that. If you're in rented accommodation, you can get Housing Benefit. Either way, you can get Council Tax Reduction too. The last two are applied for through the Local Authority and IS comes from Jobcentreplus.

If your kids are in education, you may be able to get free school meals and help with the cost of uniforms too. If you're on IS, you should also get free NHS healthcare - dentists, optical vouchers, prescriptions etc.

I'm assuming you have joint capital under £16,000 except for possibly the house you live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Unruhe View Post
    Is he caring for you? If he claims Carers Allowance, he can also claim Income Support. You could claim ESA as a couple, but you'll be better off with your husband being the claimant for IS and you down as the partner. This can include help with mortgage interest after 13 weeks so make sure you ask to fill in a form for that. If you're in rented accommodation, you can get Housing Benefit. Either way, you can get Council Tax Reduction too. The last two are applied for through the Local Authority and IS comes from Jobcentreplus.

If your kids are in education, you may be able to get free school meals and help with the cost of uniforms too. If you're on IS, you should also get free NHS healthcare - dentists, optical vouchers, prescriptions etc.

I'm assuming you have joint capital under £16,000 except for possibly the house you live in.
    Trouble is she gets Contribution Based ESA at the support group rate and her husband cannot claim Income Support while her ESA claim is current. Her husband can certainly claim Carers Allowance which would allow her to get the Income Based Carers Premium along with the Income Based Couple rate on her CBESA and after 13 weeks she will also get income based mortgage interest paid.

It would not be a good move for her to cancel her CBESA claim in favour of her husband claiming Income Support as a Carer as when he goes back to work she is unlikely to be able to re-claim CBESA.

The best option is the husband claiming Carers Allowance as he could get part time work and earn up to £100 a week take home while keeping the Carers Allowance.

Her husband can claim Income Support for both of them as a carer. She does not need to make a claim for income-related ESA for both of them. The premiums only come with means-tested benefits. The amount of cbESA would stay the same throughout.

Message me if you want some more help on understanding the interaction between ESA and IS/CA.

Her husband can claim Income Support for both of them as a carer. She does not need to make a claim for income-related ESA for both of them. The premiums only come with means-tested benefits. The amount of cbESA would stay the same throughout.

Message me if you want some more help on understanding the interaction between ESA and IS/CA.
    She gets ESA already which will be Contribution Based as it is being paid prior to her husband being made redundant. Therefore she can claim income based ESA. Income Support will not allow the Husband to claim as she can claim income based ESA.

What's to stop Income Support refusing the husbands carers claim on the grounds the wife can claim income based ESA?

IS is only interested in whether the claimant is eligible to claim. People who get CA are one of these categories. Nowhere in legislation or department guidance does it state that irESA trumps IS in terms of which should be paid. The couple can choose and IS pays more.

I helped a couple do just this a while ago and it went through smoothly.

That's interesting to know. They would then be a few quid better of by claiming income support.

Hi all ,thankyou all for your replies.Ive been ill and not been able to reply.Well my husband was made redundant on Friday,But he has managed to get 15 hours work ,with a view to getting full time in the future.I have contacted DSS and im still struggling to decide which way to claim. As its been said on here I am on contribution based ESA.If my husband claims I will likely to loose the CB ESA,and get income based.Now he has this job at 15 hours paying £109.wondering if we should go down the route of Carers? we have 2 children,18 and 15.My son who 18 enrolled for the 3rd year in college on Friday for his NVQ level 3,to be told it is a part time course this year.So now im in a pickle over that too. I phoned the tax credit line they said as it is NVQ level 3 we can still claim CTC for him but im unsure if this is the right advise.So all in all had a terrible Friday.My husband has worked for 37 years and never claimed from benefits so he hasn't a clue where to start.He will be receiving approx. 12,000 redundancy too .He also has a private pension of £75.00 per week.Sorry to waffle on .Im dreading filling the forms in,and worrying if we gunna be able to make ends meet
    Thanks in advance

Thanks for advice.My son has said its only a one day per week course, but its definitely NVQ level 3 ,he has completed levels 1 and 2 previously.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    IF your son is doing an NVQ level 3 you can claim CTC till the day of his 20th Birthday NVQ are not normaly part time

'Full-time' means they're taught or supervised for more than an average of 12 hours a week during term time.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/ke...e/child-16.htm