Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pension help please!

Pension help please!

Hi all

I'm a new poster so apologies if this has previously been covered. I have had my benefits taken off me for the second time in 3 years, despite being declared unable to work by several doctors and a judge!!!
    My question here is my husband turns 65 this month, is there any way he can claim a couples pension for the two of us so I don't have to make any more DLA claims and save the headaches and heartaches.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by pammyj View Post
    Hi all

I'm a new poster so apologies if this has previously been covered. I have had my benefits taken off me for the second time in 3 years, despite being declared unable to work by several doctors and a judge!!!
    My question here is my husband turns 65 this month, is there any way he can claim a couples pension for the two of us so I don't have to make any more DLA claims and save the headaches and heartaches.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    you need to check a few things is he getting a pension at 65 ? the age is changeing and how old are you ? he might be able to claim for you as well you need to see someone for expert advice try CAB have you appeled ? they will still be payed while you wait an appeal outcome once you supply new fit/sick note
    you talk of dla do you mean that or esa ?

Is it DLA or ESA? DLA doesn't look at whether you can work, but at your care/mobility needs.

In the past, wives of men getting their pension have been able to qualify for a category B pension if they haven't enough NIC to get their own cat A. I believe this may have been finished for a while though. Unless you are also of pensionable age (which you aren't if you're claiming ESA/IB/Income Support), it doesn't matter anyway. Do get some properly sourced advice, but that's my feeling.

If your joint income and capital is low enough, you may be entitled to Pension Credit, but state pension-wise, I don't think there is anything for you until you become pensionable in your own right.

pammyj, you also need to be at a pensionable age for your husband to be able to claim a full 'couples pension', BUT, and a big but, he can claim a 'premium' for you if he is also likely to be in receipt of Income Support while he claims State Retirement Pension, it all depends on his/your personal circumstances. I agree with Davewhit, but you need to sit down with an adviser to talk through all scenario's. I'm saddened that you have had problems with your benefits for a second time. DLA related problems?

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    you need to check a few things is he getting a pension at 65 ? the age is changeing and how old are you ? he might be able to claim for you as well you need to see someone for expert advice try CAB have you appeled ? they will still be payed while you wait an appeal outcome once you supply new fit/sick note
    you talk of dla do you mean that or esa ?
    Thanks for all the replies - yes I did miss some information off.

I receive or had received ESA not DLA and I appealed once and got my benefits back now they've been taken back off me - and my money has already been stopped.

My husband is getting his pension this month and I'm only 58 so was just wondering if there is anything we could do to prevent me having to go through the whole appeal process again

Again thanks for the replies already and anymore help will be appreciated.

davewhit
    Thanks for all the replies - yes I did miss some information off.

I receive or had received ESA not DLA and I appealed once and got my benefits back now they've been taken back off me - and my money has already been stopped.

My husband is getting his pension this month and I'm only 58 so was just wondering if there is anything we could do to prevent me having to go through the whole appeal process again

Again thanks for the replies already and anymore help will be appreciated.
    someone else will have to answer regards pension but if esa has stopped because its CB and your 365 days have run out you might be able to appeal if your sicker and manage to get in the support group then it would re start

Thanks again Dave just saw on another thread something about ESA v pension credit saying that I can drop our ESA claim and then our partner would be able to claim pension credit for a couple (217.90)?
    Does anyone know if this is right?

Thanks

davewhit
    Thanks again Dave just saw on another thread something about ESA v pension credit saying that I can drop our ESA claim and then our partner would be able to claim pension credit for a couple (217.90)?
    Does anyone know if this is right?

Thanks
    That course of action is taken by some people to get off the esa tread mill

Was your ESA contributory or income-related? To work out whether you're better off dropping your ESA claim or not, you need to add together your partner's income and your maximum income on ESA and compare it with how much you'd get on Pension Credit.

If you keep claiming ESA, you'll still get NI credits, which you won't if your partner claims Pension Credit instead. If you do keep claiming income-related ESA, it will already include a "Pensioner Premium" which makes the amount paid the same as PC.

If you don't care about NI credits and you were on income-related ESA, PC is a better bet.

Quote Originally Posted by ivb View Post
    pammyj, you also need to be at a pensionable age for your husband to be able to claim a full 'couples pension', BUT, and a big but, he can claim a 'premium' for you if he is also likely to be in receipt of Income Support while he claims State Retirement Pension, it all depends on his/your personal circumstances. I agree with Davewhit, but you need to sit down with an adviser to talk through all scenario's. I'm saddened that you have had problems with your benefits for a second time. DLA related problems?
    There is no 'couples' pension anymore, and there is no dependant addition. There is also no Income Support to top up State Pension - it is Pension Credit. But at the age of 58, dropping an ESA claim in order to be included in the husbands Pension Credit claim (if there is one) is a no go, because a woman of that age would be required to sign on if not in receipt of PC.
    What we are missing here though is the level of DLA. If it is middle rate Care or higher then that could make a difference.