Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The whole concept of Wefare Reform

The whole concept of Wefare Reform

Politicians on all sides agree, the general public agree, people here agree, the welfare bill is too high.
    Once you've taken out the tiny % of fraud claims, let's be generous and say 2%, that still leaves 98% genuine claims.
    So how can you cut that bill? Only one way, reduce the amount benefit people get, but if we are already on the minimum the Law`says we need to live off then you will make the poorest even poorer.
    Why then does everyone agree that this is a solution.
    Someone says the benefit bill is too high but then went on a protest march against the BT, and so it is with the whole concept, you can't have both.
    I'm not the cleverest fella, have I missed something?

Account removed
    Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    Politicians on all sides agree, the general public agree, people here agree, the welfare bill is too high.
    Once you've taken out the tiny % of fraud claims, let's be generous and say 2%, that still leaves 98% genuine claims.
    So how can you cut that bill? Only one way, reduce the amount benefit people get, but if we are already on the minimum the Law`says we need to live off then you will make the poorest even poorer.
    Why then does everyone agree that this is a solution.
    Someone says the benefit bill is too high but then went on a protest march against the BT, and so it is with the whole concept, you can't have both.
    I'm not the cleverest fella, have I missed something?

They are not saying your cheating or that in fact we have people who are scroungers, what they are saying is that you can work. This is what was said at my last Labour party meeting before I gave up.

We are not saying a person with no legs is not disabled what we are saying is with help he/she could work, we are not saying somebody who has cancer should work while they are ill but once they are in recovery they can do something.

Ok they said somebody who is in a wheelchair can and should be expect to do something even if the job is not real because a company has a social conscientious.

Now then why should a person with a lost foot end up on benefits for a life time, why should a person who has lost his leg not work, why should somebody who has an illness not work just because they are bad for one or two days yet can go shopping and don the house work.

Do not shout at me, that's what they said and how they see disability, and look to help them the disabled even did a para games.

This is about cuts nothing else, they all know dam well we would not get jobs and we cannot get JSA

treborc I do believe I agree with you . Could you expand tho ? How do they expect the people with severe mental disorders to do work of some kind ? Unfortunately on medication for the rest of their lives . Does taking an anti psychotic every day of your life denote that you have enough concentation and focus to be fit to go into any workplace on any given day without perhaps endangering yourself or another person ?

In reality, I know someone who was working in a supervisory position but was then beset with health issues. She wanted to carry on working, and struggled through her pain and limitations. However, work colleagues rolled their eyes, and made comments - that they shouldn't be expected to "carry" her. She needed help e.g lifting down equipment from shelves, a trolley to carry files around the office and to use her own wheelchair to work from. My friend was met with barriers from colleagues - they insisted there wasn't room to accommodate the wheelchair, but they would provide a better seat for her, and said the office layout/lack of space meant she could not use a trolley. Granted, it was a very old building so there would have been difficulties. But, do you see my point? Sometimes we are unable to work because it isn't simply a matter of leaving the house, carrying out a job for a wage and returning home. More often than not, the whole day is beset with problems eg how long it would take in the morning to get up and prepare for the day; travel to and from work; carrying out the tasks etc.

In respect of myself, I would be asleep after my shower in the morning, drive to work would be ok, arriving at the office ok, providing there are no stairs of course, and providing I wouldn't have to stand, or walk around. When I look at a file and need to action a task, within a few minutes I would not remember what the file relates to, and by this time, I would probably be needing to sleep again due to fatigue and foggy brain. I could go on and on (as if I haven't already) but I am sure you get what I am saying. For a lot of us, we simply would not be able to function in a working environment. It's difficult enough just to take care of ourselves.

Account removed
    "Not my view", you asked a question and I gave you the politicians view, I was actually in meeting within the Labour party over welfare reforms, and it was pointed out if a person can only work one day a week then it proves you can work.

Not my view I think many people could work if given the help and assistance, sadly most employers would not touch us with a barge pole, but government would say to you so what, you can work you should.

Quote Originally Posted by treborc View Post

Not my view I think many people could work if given the help and assistance, sadly most employers would not touch us with a barge pole, but government would say to you so what, you can work you should.
    I'm not sure what the numbers are to quantify who is or isn't available to do some work.
    It shouldn't be called welfare reform as the changes are specifically aimed at the sick and disabled.
    My view is that almost all genuine people would give their right arm (pardon pun) to be able to work and therefore this is nothing to do with work capability for sick and disabled people it's about how to justify reducing their benefit.
    WRAG is just JSA.

Hear hear you got it spot on wobble1

iron legs
    This always gets my goat most threads or replies to to threads implies that everyone works or worked in --- the office or inside a building
    at a desk or had internal duties. what about and i was one sorry the outside workers builders,electricians,joiners,roofers,plumbers,uti lity
    workers,farm operatives,fishermen,general labour operatives, ambulance workers,steel workers miners and many more trades that are never mentioned when all this scrounger theme starts its always the office or i can do a day or two in the office any subject you listen to or watch is always at the office tv is great at this they think all the uk works or worked in offices but mention ho i used to work outside and there it comes --- have you got a bad back then or is this why your on benefits there is a two tier system still in this country that is against former outside workers or should i say --- the majority of claimants

Account removed
    Quote Originally Posted by iron legs View Post
    This always gets my goat most threads or replies to to threads implies that everyone works or worked in --- the office or inside a building
    at a desk or had internal duties. what about and i was one sorry the outside workers builders,electricians,joiners,roofers,plumbers,uti lity
    workers,farm operatives,fishermen,general labour operatives, ambulance workers,steel workers miners and many more trades that are never mentioned when all this scrounger theme starts its always the office or i can do a day or two in the office any subject you listen to or watch is always at the office tv is great at this they think all the uk works or worked in offices but mention ho i used to work outside and there it comes --- have you got a bad back then or is this why your on benefits there is a two tier system still in this country that is against former outside workers or should i say --- the majority of claimants

The question was the Concept of Welfare.

If anyone works in welfare getting people back to work will know dam well this has nothing to do with getting people back into their jobs or professions .

Or whether your able to do what they use to do, the concept used if you can work then you should, they do not state working back in the job you use to do.

Today if you have no legs or one leg or one hand or no hands, you cannot expect to get benefits.

Here this comes from my ESA report.

The claimant has spinal cord injury he's battling to walk using crutches, he's without doubt Paraplegia this claimant has to use a wheelchair he would then have no further issues and could return to work....

Anyone and everyone knows what the concept is.

Now ask me if I believe in it.

Quote Originally Posted by treborc View Post

Now ask me if I believe in it.
    You always believed in it till now.