Thread: Has the government broken the law over disability benefit changes?

Question Has the government broken the law over disability benefit changes?

Yes, it's a law firm in Birmingham handling the case. It will be interesting to see how it goes. IF proved, it will have a big impact on the whole PIP policy.

I will try and follow this and see what happens. The courts will probably uphold the government policy on this though. The government already seem to have set their targets as to the number they want to see lose benefits. This PIP criteria of 20 metres will ensure the targets are met. It would be wonderful if the courts found in favour of the people challenging though. It might force the government to take it back to 50 metres, but I daresay they will come up with more ideas and policies to penalise us.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

If the courts rule in favour of the disabled people challanging, then I think all it would do would delay the timetable for indefinate awards to be reassessed, maybe two further years. I am sure the DWP will find a sneaky round it.

Quote Originally Posted by CTCELT88 View Post
    If the courts rule in favour of the disabled people challanging, then I think all it would do would delay the timetable for indefinate awards to be reassessed, maybe two further years. I am sure the DWP will find a sneaky round it.
    You could well be right. The fact that they sneaked the rule in shows their true colours, sneaky seems to be their ace card in everything.

as with the work programe result they will just lay down emergency regs to cover it

Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
    The old IB rules were changed in 1996, they modified various questions in the questionnaire, making it more difficult to qualify.
    Someone by the name Howker challenged the changes to the rules at the high court, arguing that Parliament had been misled into believing the changes were neutral.
    He won his case and all those modified questions had to be removed.

It's been a while since i've looked at those regulations, but i seem to remember they were introduced by William Hague.
    Illegitimi non carborundum