Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is the best time to get valuation from Motability?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

When is the best time to get valuation from Motability?

I'm thinking of buying our car from Motability when the tern is up and I understand you have a three month window to buy it. Would it be better to ask of a valuation at the start of the three months or towards the end as it will be three months older and have a few more thousand miles on it. Mines due back in October so it falls in a reg change over when prices do fall (so I've been told). It could be that all this is taken into consideration if the price is requested at the start of the three months..anyone know?

Also if the tyres and service need doing in this three month period will Motability do it without question?

I just obtained a vehicle valuation for my car. I rang up in March, my new car earliest order date was 30th March. They told me I could get a valuation from 23rd. Thy take your current mileage and pro rata that for the remaining 3 months. I don't think the valuation will change by leaving it later though. Takes about 3 weeks to arrive though, only came today. Motability will continue to provide the service until you hand it back. You will need to have the car serviced where they will verify the mileage and will charge for any excess mileage over 60,000 miles, even if you buy the car! You get a 1 year warranty, but have to tax and insure the car. They will also ensure 12 months MOT. You have to pay for the car about a week before the handover date. If you order another car on the scheme and it's delayed they won't extend the lease. Also be aware that they charge dealer forecourt prices! Our Zafira will cover around 58,000 miles and they quoted £8125 to buy the car. Although we have looked after it and its unmarked thats top book price. We won't be taking that up!

Quote Originally Posted by ironica View Post
    I just obtained a vehicle valuation for my car. I rang up in March, my new car earliest order date was 30th March. They told me I could get a valuation from 23rd. Thy take your current mileage and pro rata that for the remaining 3 months. I don't think the valuation will change by leaving it later though. Takes about 3 weeks to arrive though, only came today. Motability will continue to provide the service until you hand it back. You will need to have the car serviced where they will verify the mileage and will charge for any excess mileage over 60,000 miles, even if you buy the car! You get a 1 year warranty, but have to tax and insure the car. They will also ensure 12 months MOT. You have to pay for the car about a week before the handover date. If you order another car on the scheme and it's delayed they won't extend the lease. Also be aware that they charge dealer forecourt prices! Our Zafira will cover around 58,000 miles and they quoted £8125 to buy the car. Although we have looked after it and its unmarked thats top book price. We won't be taking that up!
    Is it yours that is a auto 1.9cdti elite, If so then that price isn't too bad as parkers reckon about £9500 good condition, but that was for average of 30,000 miles.

The car will only be serviced in the 3rd year if it needs it. My last car was not serviced, only had the mot done.

The tyres will only be replaced when they are at the legal limit.

Motability tend to ask above book value for their cars. What most people do is find out what will happen to their car when they return it. Majority of the cars are sent to auction. Find out which auction and when you car will be there and buy it cheaply.

Thanks for the info, I'll just get a quote as soon as possible as by the sound of it it's going to be too expensive.

Ironia, yours does sound quite a lot, was it a particular high spec model? Mine is also a Vauxhall and partly chosen because they depreciate quite heavily. I knew Motability did sell off cheap but I wasn't expecting full retail and above!

Mines an 60 plate Insignia 2.0 CDTI 160 Auto Nav 25k miles with Dab radio, Bluetooth and large wheels and is unmarked so might fetch reasonable money, I don't think it will reach auction as a dealer will snap it up, I've heard stuff which is not bought by dealers ends up at auction and some cars can be a bit rough (not all). I was hoping about £10k would buy it but looks more like £12k which is full retail.

I would order another one but my Daughter uses the car a lot, in fact mostly as me and the wife can't really drive anymore, my daughter takes us everywhere. We are spending more and more time with her as we help with the kids and I struggle looking after the wife on my own, problem is this 5 mile rule, they live 20 miles away!

If I follow the car to auction, then it could still go for quite a bit, plus I won't get the warranty and the buyers charges at auctions is massive for non trade, £500 to £600 is typical,travel costs on top and I'm not sure the saving will be worth it.

A quick point, the 5 mile rule isn't definitive.

If you're daughter lives 20miles away, then just call Motability and they will sort it out.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    A quick point, the 5 mile rule isn't definitive.

If you're daughter lives 20miles away, then just call Motability and they will sort it out.
    Cheers, thanks for the info and pricing, I would think £10500 would be a fair price and all I can afford really.

I've not spoken to Motability but I read on the website that they would probably fit a tracker and the car would have to stay at our house in which case she would have to buy another car anyway (making the Motability car useless) or get public transport to my place and back which would take about 3 hours each way!

With all the hassle with Motability rules and a total cost of £10800 or £300/month for a similar replacement car I'm thinking I'm better off just buying the car for my daughter at £10.5k and she's free to do whatever she wants with it, they can run it and pay for insurance, service etc and I don't think it will cost anymore than a motability car, plus it will still probably be worth £5 or £6k in another 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Glover1862 View Post
    Mines an 60 plate Insignia 2.0 CDTI 160 Auto Nav 25k miles with Dab radio, Bluetooth and large wheels and is unmarked so might fetch reasonable money, I don't think it will reach auction as a dealer will snap it up, I've heard stuff which is not bought by dealers ends up at auction and some cars can be a bit rough (not all). I was hoping about £10k would buy it but looks more like £12k which is full retail.
    £10500 seems around the right price http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/u...to_3_years_old
    Motability Car History
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I do have the top spec elite, 1.7eco 110ps. However with 60k on the clock I thought it might come in below 7k. It's a manual too.

Quote Originally Posted by ironica View Post
    I do have the top spec elite, 1.7eco 110ps. However with 60k on the clock I thought it might come in below 7k. It's a manual too.
    If this link works, Autotrader suggests that the value is a minimum of £8500 http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/u...mission/manual

(not my postcode )
    Motability Car History