Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: looking for help on housing, complicated , can anyone help

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11

    looking for help on housing, complicated , can anyone help

    I left a violent husband over the new year and have recently moved in to a house that a friend owns, he is renting me a room , he is my carer, I put in a claim for housing benefit and I was called in to an informal interview yesterday and was asked lots of questions which led me to believe that they think we're a couple, he helps me with my mobility and dressing etc and they seem to think we are in a relationship and they said they might not award me H/B, how in the hell am I going to pay my rent if this happens, they also mentioned something about a arms length agreement, now I've looked this up and this is a point of law and I'm already suffering PTSD and anxiety and have Lupus and Fibro and many other problems with my health and mobility.
    Can anyone help I am at my wits end

  2. #2
    Deleted
    Guest
    Hi Wullfi, sorry to hear life is conspiring against you

    The Shelter organisation should be your first port of call :

    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...dvice_helpline

    Good luck

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Gel View Post
    Hi Wullfi, sorry to hear life is conspiring against you

    The Shelter organisation should be your first port of call :

    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...dvice_helpline

    Good luck
    I'm in Wales btw thanks

  4. #4
    davewhit
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wulfii View Post
    I left a violent husband over the new year and have recently moved in to a house that a friend owns, he is renting me a room , he is my carer, I put in a claim for housing benefit and I was called in to an informal interview yesterday and was asked lots of questions which led me to believe that they think we're a couple, he helps me with my mobility and dressing etc and they seem to think we are in a relationship and they said they might not award me H/B, how in the hell am I going to pay my rent if this happens, they also mentioned something about a arms length agreement, now I've looked this up and this is a point of law and I'm already suffering PTSD and anxiety and have Lupus and Fibro and many other problems with my health and mobility.
    Can anyone help I am at my wits end
    to add to the good advice given shelter and CAB are a good place to start also in this case I would think http://www.womensaid.org.uk/?gclid=C...FaHHtAod_hUAnw give them a call its free

    there are ways to set up the renting of the room so that HB know its not a relationship people have posted on forums in the past about the hoops they jump through to get the award but it can be done

  5. #5
    Deleted
    Guest
    I'd still urge you to contact the English Shelter folk.....they may target local assistance for you

    Lots of good info at this link :

    http://www.gardencourtchambers.co.uk...ngtogether.pdf

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Gel View Post
    I'd still urge you to contact the English Shelter folk.....they may target local assistance for you

    Lots of good info at this link :

    http://www.gardencourtchambers.co.uk...ngtogether.pdf
    Goodness me thank you that link is so useful.

  7. #7
    Senior Member susieboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sleaford, Lincs
    Posts
    733
    Wishing you lots of luck in sorting this out. the stress will not be good for you. Very best wishes.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by susieboots View Post
    Wishing you lots of luck in sorting this out. the stress will not be good for you. Very best wishes.
    thanks for all your help

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    170
    Best of luck. The authorities love treating people as couples. The burden of proof is on them, but they use a measly scale to determine it, like HMRC using credit reference checks. You seem to have chdecked Shelter, but benefits-wise, appeal it, provide supporting evidence, get a representative if necessary and tell them where to go.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,803
    LA's have changed and no longer just accept claimants version of things and they do far more in checking over claims.
    I think it's understandable that they have questioned your claim, however, it is up to them to find "justifiable and reasonable" doubt to dismiss your claim.
    I'm not sure what an "informal interview" is but it's only when you actually put in a claim form and it's processed will you have an answer.

Similar Threads

  1. Another, (complicated) question about carers allowance.
    By babyblu64 in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-10-14, 08:58
  2. housing/CT benefit.
    By Kate25 in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-05-14, 18:17
  3. housing
    By saaj in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-14, 16:56
  4. housing
    By michellec in forum Health - help & advice on health issues for disabled people
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-01-13, 15:18
  5. housing form
    By meme374 in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-12, 16:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •