Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for help on housing, complicated , can anyone help

looking for help on housing, complicated , can anyone help

I left a violent husband over the new year and have recently moved in to a house that a friend owns, he is renting me a room , he is my carer, I put in a claim for housing benefit and I was called in to an informal interview yesterday and was asked lots of questions which led me to believe that they think we're a couple, he helps me with my mobility and dressing etc and they seem to think we are in a relationship and they said they might not award me H/B, how in the hell am I going to pay my rent if this happens, they also mentioned something about a arms length agreement, now I've looked this up and this is a point of law and I'm already suffering PTSD and anxiety and have Lupus and Fibro and many other problems with my health and mobility.
    Can anyone help I am at my wits end

Deleted
    Hi Wullfi, sorry to hear life is conspiring against you

The Shelter organisation should be your first port of call :

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...dvice_helpline

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Gel View Post
    Hi Wullfi, sorry to hear life is conspiring against you

The Shelter organisation should be your first port of call :

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...dvice_helpline

Good luck
    I'm in Wales btw thanks

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by wulfii View Post
    I left a violent husband over the new year and have recently moved in to a house that a friend owns, he is renting me a room , he is my carer, I put in a claim for housing benefit and I was called in to an informal interview yesterday and was asked lots of questions which led me to believe that they think we're a couple, he helps me with my mobility and dressing etc and they seem to think we are in a relationship and they said they might not award me H/B, how in the hell am I going to pay my rent if this happens, they also mentioned something about a arms length agreement, now I've looked this up and this is a point of law and I'm already suffering PTSD and anxiety and have Lupus and Fibro and many other problems with my health and mobility.
    Can anyone help I am at my wits end
    to add to the good advice given shelter and CAB are a good place to start also in this case I would think http://www.womensaid.org.uk/?gclid=C...FaHHtAod_hUAnw give them a call its free

there are ways to set up the renting of the room so that HB know its not a relationship people have posted on forums in the past about the hoops they jump through to get the award but it can be done

Deleted
    I'd still urge you to contact the English Shelter folk.....they may target local assistance for you

Lots of good info at this link :

http://www.gardencourtchambers.co.uk...ngtogether.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Gel View Post
    I'd still urge you to contact the English Shelter folk.....they may target local assistance for you

Lots of good info at this link :

http://www.gardencourtchambers.co.uk...ngtogether.pdf
    Goodness me thank you that link is so useful.

Wishing you lots of luck in sorting this out. the stress will not be good for you. Very best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by susieboots View Post
    Wishing you lots of luck in sorting this out. the stress will not be good for you. Very best wishes.
    thanks for all your help

Best of luck. The authorities love treating people as couples. The burden of proof is on them, but they use a measly scale to determine it, like HMRC using credit reference checks. You seem to have chdecked Shelter, but benefits-wise, appeal it, provide supporting evidence, get a representative if necessary and tell them where to go.

LA's have changed and no longer just accept claimants version of things and they do far more in checking over claims.
    I think it's understandable that they have questioned your claim, however, it is up to them to find "justifiable and reasonable" doubt to dismiss your claim.
    I'm not sure what an "informal interview" is but it's only when you actually put in a claim form and it's processed will you have an answer.