Challenging your 'bedroom tax' decision

If you have been issued with a 'bedroom tax' decision by your local council you only have one month to challenge it. You can only appeal later than this if you have a good reason for the delay, such as illness. Govan Law Centre (GLC) has developed a toolkit guide which explains how you can challenge the cut in your housing benefit from the bedroom tax.

Our toolkit contains a number of untested legal arguments which you can select and insert into your 'Dispute Form'. Some of these relate to court challenges taking place in England, and if these are successful you can only benefit from them for past deductions if you have lodged a 'Dispute Form' with your council.

GLC's toolkit provides step by step guidance and illustrations on how to complete a 'Dispute Form' - what to say, where to send it to, where you can get further advice, what will happen next. We hope the toolkit will be of assistance to tenants and advisors alike.

If you would like a copy of GLC's toolkit guide please fill in the form below and we will e-mail it to you by return. We are asking for the first part of your postcode (e.g. G51 or PH12) so that we can work out the level of take up across the country.

or view the pdf here