Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 4x4?

Which 4x4?

My current Motability vehicle (a Landrover Discovery Auto) is due for change in early July but it is no longer available on the scheme since the changes last year, nor are any of the larger 4x4's which used to be on the scheme. I need a 4x4 as I live up in the Yorkshire Dales and often get snowed in during the winter but need to get to work near Skipton every day. Motability won’t extend the lease on the Discovery as I have covered over 47,000 miles since new.

I could buy my current Discovery but my time with it hasn’t been trouble free and there has been a nagging intermittent problem which has never been fully sorted despite being into different Landrover dealers a number of times. Hence I would prefer to lease a new vehicle via the scheme.

Now the problem is what 4x4 to go for. I need an automatic and with my mileage a diesel is more economical.

I had a test drive in the new Kuga on Saturday and I was quite impressed with it. However fitting my powered wheelchair and hoist into the rear will be very tight although I am not bothered if the back seats are more or less permanently folded down. The advance price is pretty good as well for me at £1109 for the Titanium X or £809 for the Titanium. However I have a little query as to what this vehicle will be like in the snow etc as it doesn’t seem to have the diff locks etc that the Discovery had.

The VW Tiguan SE is another possibility, albeit it is more expensive at £1314 and a diff lock is an available extra, however things such as cruise control etc which are standard on the Kuga are payable options on the Tiguan which would push up the price considerably versus the Kuga. Also trying to get an auto to test drive seems an impossibility. Has anyone knowledge of this vehicle?

I suppose the only other alternatives would be the Honda CRV however that is petrol powered in auto guise and again more expensive at £1514 AP before options. I am not really familiar with the BMW X1 but the boot does seem very small, possibly too small for a powerchair folded? Has anyone tried any of the other 4x4’s available on the scheme?

Thanks
    Colin

Hi Colin,
    I just ordered a Tiguan SE 3 weeks ago, as i was afraid the prices would go up in April.
    When the new list appeared the Audi Q3 became available, i was gutted.
    Maybe worth a look at that.

The vauxhall antara's are quite a nice car, apparntly the chevrolet captiva is based on the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJ View Post
    My current Motability vehicle (a Landrover Discovery Auto) is due for change in early July but it is no longer available on the scheme since the changes last year, nor are any of the larger 4x4's which used to be on the scheme. I need a 4x4 as I live up in the Yorkshire Dales and often get snowed in during the winter but need to get to work near Skipton every day. Motability won’t extend the lease on the Discovery as I have covered over 47,000 miles since new.

I could buy my current Discovery but my time with it hasn’t been trouble free and there has been a nagging intermittent problem which has never been fully sorted despite being into different Landrover dealers a number of times. Hence I would prefer to lease a new vehicle via the scheme.

Now the problem is what 4x4 to go for. I need an automatic and with my mileage a diesel is more economical.

I had a test drive in the new Kuga on Saturday and I was quite impressed with it. However fitting my powered wheelchair and hoist into the rear will be very tight although I am not bothered if the back seats are more or less permanently folded down. The advance price is pretty good as well for me at £1109 for the Titanium X or £809 for the Titanium. However I have a little query as to what this vehicle will be like in the snow etc as it doesn’t seem to have the diff locks etc that the Discovery had.

The VW Tiguan SE is another possibility, albeit it is more expensive at £1314 and a diff lock is an available extra, however things such as cruise control etc which are standard on the Kuga are payable options on the Tiguan which would push up the price considerably versus the Kuga. Also trying to get an auto to test drive seems an impossibility. Has anyone knowledge of this vehicle?

I suppose the only other alternatives would be the Honda CRV however that is petrol powered in auto guise and again more expensive at £1514 AP before options. I am not really familiar with the BMW X1 but the boot does seem very small, possibly too small for a powerchair folded? Has anyone tried any of the other 4x4’s available on the scheme?

Thanks
    Colin
    I have been driving Antara vauxhall very nice car it is diesel auto and | paid 1250 a.p I had c.r.v was very good on m.p.g (36) was manual diesel though.
    Antara m.p.g is 25 in town and motorway m.p.g is around 29/30

Land Rover did start their own scheme. It follows the same structure, i.e. servicing, insurance etc.

I enquired about an Evoque, the AP was over £10k.

I don't know if its still going, maybe worth asking the dealer

Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    Land Rover did start their own scheme. It follows the same structure, i.e. servicing, insurance etc.

I enquired about an Evoque, the AP was over £10k.

I don't know if its still going, maybe worth asking the dealer
    The Evoque has a very small boot. I took one look at it and knew my wheelchair wouldn't fit so I didn't even bother to sit in. Not sure I really like the look of it anyway :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Ransman View Post
    The Evoque has a very small boot. I took one look at it and knew my wheelchair wouldn't fit so I didn't even bother to sit in. Not sure I really like the look of it anyway :-(
    The looks do split opinion. I rather like it, but does depend on the colour. I've looked at a used Discovery but the thought of it going wrong!!

Audi q3 quattro is probably the best 4x4 on the list.
    But I heard that the boot is smaller than some of it's rivals

Yes, the Q3 has a smaller boot and the rear seats are a bit restricted for height and access but sitting in the driving seat it looks good.

I did not look at the Antara due to the mpg. (Although they may be more open and honest with their mpg compared to other car manufacturers).

I currently have a 2.0tdi S manual Tiguan and get over 40mpg and thats with my wife driving everywhere in 4th gear
    I test drove a 2.0tdi auto SE and the 7 speed DSG gearbox is a dream. So i ordered it with the winter pack (I really like heated seats for my back). Granted a lot of the extras you have to pay for but the SE model seems to have most. I didnt bother with cruise on this car as the wife never uses it. It does have park assist which could be handy.

I would say have a look at the Q3 quattro and if the size is OK for you thats the one I would have.
    Last edited by dunk; 09-04-13 at 09:03.

There is the Hyundai ix35 2.0TD Premium 5dr, it looks good I think but the AP is £2,999. Quite expensive but perhaps you could find a dealer who will bargain with you.