Thread: ESA and Pension credit.

ESA and Pension credit.

Hi all,I am sure I just read that you are not allowed ESA if your spouse/partner is on pension credit???
    Have I got it wrong?Thanks Maz x

Quote Originally Posted by Fibrogal1955 View Post
    Hi all,I am sure I just read that you are not allowed ESA if your spouse/partner is on pension credit???
    Have I got it wrong?Thanks Maz x
    Pension Credit is means tested and any ESA would be taken into account. So a partner could still claim ESA. It would be simpler to drop the ESA claim in favour of Pension Credit as then there is no ned to attend the ESA medical or work focused interviews.

If it's income-related ESA, correct, a couple cannot get 2 means-tested earnings replacement benefits like irESA and Pension Credit at the same time. If it's contributory ESA, you can get it when your partner gets PC, but it would be treated as income, i.e. a deduction would be made from the PC award.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Pension Credit is means tested and any ESA would be taken into account. So a partner could still claim ESA. It would be simpler to drop the ESA claim in favour of Pension Credit as then there is no ned to attend the ESA medical or work focused interviews.
    Hi Duncan sorry to take over someone else's thread but I think I'm in the same boat here, are you saying that I (or Maz) can drop our ESA claim and then our partner would be able to claim pension credit for a couple (217.90)?
    If so I think your absolutely right and the loss of money would be made up for by the lack of hassle.
    Thanks

You can get contributory ESA while your partner is on Pension Credit (always a joint claim when the claimant has a partner), but it's counted as income, deducted from the 217.90 per week figure. cESA is good because you can still get it when your partner has too much income to get means-tested benefits.

A couple can't get income-related ESA as well as PC though. The amounts of money paid would be the same though.

Quote Originally Posted by pammyj View Post
    Hi Duncan sorry to take over someone else's thread but I think I'm in the same boat here, are you saying that I (or Maz) can drop our ESA claim and then our partner would be able to claim pension credit for a couple (217.90)?
    If so I think your absolutely right and the loss of money would be made up for by the lack of hassle.
    Thanks
    Thats the experience I have had where a couple claimed Pension Credit and dropped the ESA claim. Pension Credit did not have any problem with the ESA claim being dropped in favour of the pension credit. Pension Credit is now £222.05 a week couple rate. Ring 0800 991234 the Pension Credit claim line.