Thread: PIP descriptor points allocation

PIP descriptor points allocation

I recently read a part of the governments response to the consultation concerning PIP assessment critera and regulations. I was particularly concerned about the apparent disparity in the amount of points awarded where dressing and undressing were concerned. What i couldn't understand was that 4 points were awarded for dressing/undressing the upper body and 2 points were awarded for dressing/undressing the lower body. In my opinion i considered that dressing/undressing the lower body would be a somewhat more difficult activity to undertake for someone who is physically disabled. I saw my local MP regarding my concerns, who in turn wrote to Ian Duncan Smith regarding this matter. My MP received a reply from Esther McVey MP who is the parliamentary Under Secretary of State and Minister for Disabled People. (But what's in a title) I quote in part from that reply:
    (quote) It is generally an easier task to dress and undress the upper body than one's lower body. Claimants that cannot dress and undress their upper body are therefore likely to have greater functional limitation than those who have difficulty dressing and undressing their lower body, and will likely face greater barriers in their everyday life. (unquote)
    Seems to me that here's another highly trained ATOS Health Care Professional who has a complete understanding of interpreting the regulations. I would welcome any thoughts that anyone has as I don't intend to let this matter drop, if this point allocation is wrong, what else is lurking out there?

I discussed the PIP points system with my welfare advice team yesterday. Someone said "they haven't thought this through, have they?" more than once. My bet is it'll be a shambles, like when DLA came in. Caselaw will creep in in a year or so and then we can judge PIP for what it is.

davewhit
    Its a hard call depending on your own health problems, thats going to be what defines what you find harder.

Putting aside ones own problems I have to agree the lowers harder for most people, you will never come up with regulations that make everyone happy and when the idea is to come up with regulations that cut spending your going to make few people happy

Quote Originally Posted by Unruhe View Post
    I discussed the PIP points system with my welfare advice team yesterday. Someone said "they haven't thought this through, have they?" more than once. My bet is it'll be a shambles, like when DLA came in. Caselaw will creep in in a year or so and then we can judge PIP for what it is.
    It seems to me is that this government are pushing so much legislation through in such a short time soley to save money, that this concerted attack on the genuine disabled of this country means that any semblence of the right or wrongs of this approach has been thrown out of the window. ESA was put in place to help those that had a geniune illness who wanted to work could have the opportunity if they so wished. This shambles of a government have in my opinion taken that premise and turned it on it's head and are now trying to get everyone into work no matter what, using ATOS, highly selective descriptors and public opinion describing anyone on IB or ESA as 'scroungers' End of rant.

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    Its a hard call depending on your own health problems, thats going to be what defines what you find harder.

Putting aside ones own problems I have to agree the lowers harder for most people, you will never come up with regulations that make everyone happy and when the idea is to come up with regulations that cut spending your going to make few people happy
    What gets me going is the fact in one sentence it says something is easy and the next because it's considerd easier it's worth more. What sort of cock-eyed reasoning is that, it's like saying if you can only walk 20 metres we'll assess you as getting 6 points, but if you can walk 200 metres we'll give you 12 points, i fail to see where there's sense in that.

FWIW i can actually see the rationale in their points system.
    Dressing/undressing the lower half of my body is more difficult for me too than the upper half, but there are other health problems that would make top half just as difficult.
    The cynical side (and probably right too) of me thinks that this is simply about numbers. More people will have trouble with bottom half than top half, the government is simply making it harder to qualify, like they have raised the threshold of qualification for other benefits...
    Illegitimi non carborundum

It's possible, just vaguely possible that the PIP system might just work. Well, it has to 'cus if not we are all doomed.

that all depends on whether you mean work for the disabled, or work for the government...
    Illegitimi non carborundum

lol. Good point. Hadn't thought of it like that.