Thread: Benefit help

fhsgb

Benefit help

Hi Can anyone suggest,any organization,group etc that can offer personal help in applying,filling in claim forms and understanding and replying to correspondence.
    My adult son,was on sickness benefit,but has been passed fit.He cannot sign on for job seekers allowance,as he is not fit to work.He cannot use a computer and he does not want us to help,for obvious reasons.
    He phones Belfast daily,but gets conflicting advice and is told to go on line.
    It means that he has not had any benefits,for several months and as we are retired,we have to support him.

I went to my local Citizens Advice Bureau for help. They were excellent.

I agree, CAB are great. 5 Years ago I had trouble getting DLA as I kept getting refused. I was advised to Phone CAB which I did. They arranged a home visit from one of their advisers. He was so friendly and knowledgeable. He had a claim form with him and he went through it with me and explained what each section meant. He stayed a good 2 hours and by the end my new application was filled in and all I had to do was to sign it.

He took it away with him and said he would see to everything. About 1 week later I received an acknowledgement that my claim had been received, then 3 weeks later I received an award letter. High Rate for both components and backdated for 6 months. It was also an Indefinite award as well.

So yes give CAB a call you will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by fhsgb View Post
    Hi Can anyone suggest,any organization,group etc that can offer personal help in applying,filling in claim forms and understanding and replying to correspondence.
    My adult son,was on sickness benefit,but has been passed fit.He cannot sign on for job seekers allowance,as he is not fit to work.He cannot use a computer and he does not want us to help,for obvious reasons.
    He phones Belfast daily,but gets conflicting advice and is told to go on line.
    It means that he has not had any benefits,for several months and as we are retired,we have to support him.
    There are organisations that help those with a particular illness.
    I'm not sure why you say he can't claim JSA, has he been told that by the JC?
    I'm guessing that he is appealing the decision and wants help with these forms. He will also need the help of medical professionals to back up his claim.

If he's been found fit for work as part of the ESA assessment, Jobcentreplus has issued an internal memo saying someone must not be found to fail to meet labour market conditions on health grounds if they've been found fit for work by an ESA assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Unruhe View Post
    If he's been found fit for work as part of the ESA assessment, Jobcentreplus has issued an internal memo saying someone must not be found to fail to meet labour market conditions on health grounds if they've been found fit for work by an ESA assessment.
    Is this new information following on from other threads discussing this scenario?
    Illegitimi non carborundum