Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPAP Mask and restless sleep

CPAP Mask and restless sleep

Hi

Amongst my issues is sleep apneoa so I wear a CPAP mask to help with sleep breathing. However due to anxiety I have restless sleep and toss an turn all night. This causes the mask to move and break the seal (and therefore make a lot of noise).

Has anyone experienced the same and found a pillow of something that helps. I am weary with this

yes i too have moving mask problems i tightened the straps and its more or less cured it but i do have lines on face from straps that take hours to dissapear
    i think maybe you need to get the pressure adjusted my first two machines were useless and didnt really help me to sleep unless i was exhausted not sure if that was me or machine doing it though then i got present one tried it took it back so clinic could read results they knew staight away what pressure to use and ive had no problems since i am asleep soundly within minutes and now get between 7-9 hours sleep most nights
    maybe you could try another size of mask or a nasal tube contact sleep clinic and ask for advice

Thanks. I think you are right. Back to the clinic.

Hi Tatty. I have the same problem. I have had my machine adjusted, tried lots of different masks etc, but still have the problems. I am a very restless sleeper, moving a lot when I sleep. It gets to the point where I remove my mask sometimes, which is not the ideal thing to do. I have been on CPAP for 3 years or so now and still have problems, but have to say, I still feel better using CPAP than not using it. I have a humidifier unit with mine as I suffer badly with Asthma, this has helped in that I do not wake coughing etc like I used to. Even with the problems of moving around and the mask becoming dislodged, the benefits are still there, as your body usually tells you that something is not right and you move into a better position. Have a chat at your clinic and see if there is something they can do, but you may still have problems as you are a restless sleeper. I had a sleep study and they found that even when I was in deep sleep, I still fidgetted and moved around.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Thanks babyblue . Oh I definitley agree the pros overcome the cons. At least I'm not blacking out during the day like I used too and with the treatment I have my driving licence back.

I've ordered a horseshoe pillow that seats around the neck during sleep. Maybe a pillow that travels with me during my sleep acrobatics will help Worth a try.

Hope the pillow helps, as you say its worth a try. Good luck.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Hi Tatty, i have been on a vpap now for over 5 years and like you have struggled to sleep with the mask moving and blowing air in my eyes etc, so i tightened straps up so no leaks but like Slipmaster i suffered the all day long strap marks on my face and because im bald it looked like a motorway on my head lol, but after years of different masks and machine settings ive found that actually loosening the straps on the lower part of the mask works great, it does allow a bit of leakage but not enough to set off the alarm, so after you get used to the air loss around your chin,which is not that much i must say i have found this to be great as i constantly move in my sleep and this way it never seems to wake me up now, not saying it will suit you but you never know.

Should of added that 5% leekage from mask is acceptable. this was stated by respiritory consultant as i was worried over leekage.

Thanks David. It's worth a try. Also, daft as it sounds, I've found that the mask seats better after a clean shave. Kinda logical really.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatty_Tat View Post
    Thanks David. It's worth a try. Also, daft as it sounds, I've found that the mask seats better after a clean shave. Kinda logical really.
    yes i too find it better after shave i also use facial wipes to get rid of all grease etc also keeping mask clean every 2 days instead of weekly is a big help
    as for moving about i was a very restless sleeper but since i had pressure corrected i now get into bed and stay in that position all night until i wake its great