Thread: Universal Credits will you be able to manage?

Post Universal Credits will you be able to manage?

Just been watching the news where the new Universal Credits is been launched but there are deep concerns that many won't be able to manage as most benefits will all be paid monthly, ESA, JSA, H.B, TAX CREDITS etc.

there are all ready problems looming as the only way to claim is online and in a pilot it is estimated that many in one area don't even have access to internet.

Don't have much more info on this but would be interesting to hear other people's views and concerns, like Housing benefit not going to be paid directly to landlords, the local councils are all ready very concerned about this new system been rolled out.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeydt1 View Post
    Just been watching the news where the new Universal Credits is been launched but there are deep concerns that many won't be able to manage as most benefits will all be paid monthly, ESA, JSA, H.B, TAX CREDITS etc.

there are all ready problems looming as the only way to claim is online and in a pilot it is estimated that many in one area don't even have access to internet.

Don't have much more info on this but would be interesting to hear other people's views and concerns, like Housing benefit not going to be paid directly to landlords, the local councils are all ready very concerned about this new system been rolled out.
    I saw it also.
    I don't think it is a problem for most to manage their money monthly and those who will struggle are probably those who don't manage money well already.
    I do have reservations about it all having to be done on line. Firstly it will involve the cost of a land line and internet, the only other choice is regular trips to the local Library. It seems unfair to ask people to become IT literate and some will struggle with that.

that was one of my concerns as well with internet access as i know of many rural areas where they can't even get broadband and like you say many are simply not literate with I.T.

guess when the pilot starts then we will see it filtering through on here with the problems.

one thing just wondering if that was one reason why they were offering those on benefits cheap computer systems the other year to get as many online?

Account removed
    I just had a letter now telling me the cuts to my benefits and that I will be paid monthly, had another letter from the housing association saying are you disabled if not would you please vacate your disability bungalow.

Then had the DWP asking for my banking record for three months.

Do you now love these political parties.

Phoned up my MP who stated both Labour and the Tories have no choice but to cut down on crime within benefits, this lady has twice had to repay expenses.

Just saw my GP to get an ESA medical and evidence put together for a grand total of £150....it will be the same letter I sent to them under the IB medical, sent the DWP photographs of my legs and my scars on my back to be told the ATOS doctor did not point these out.

What a scam,

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    I saw it also.
    I don't think it is a problem for most to manage their money monthly and those who will struggle are probably those who don't manage money well already.
    I do have reservations about it all having to be done on line. Firstly it will involve the cost of a land line and internet, the only other choice is regular trips to the local Library. It seems unfair to ask people to become IT literate and some will struggle with that.
    I get my IS weekly, though most people get it fortnightly,this is because of my short term memory problems,and I get a bit muddled sometimes so knowing that this goes in every Wednesday helps. If this changes I shall struggle with it.

I am just wondering about the whole online thing. As others have stated, some people do not have access to the internet, are not computer minded etc. A lot of people find the whole internet thing confusing and scary.
    My other concern is that, given the amount of fraud that already exisits online in other areas, ie; bank fraud etc, does this system not open up a whole new world for fraudsters? If it is all done online, how is proof of ID, address etc provided for claimants?
    As we all know, there are enough problems with the DWP as it is, how much worse will it get when everything is done online via the internet with no paperwork?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

yeah its pretty stupid that the only way it can be accessed is online. that is bound to cause thousands of problems but then... thats what they want right?

i also dont like the fact that its only one payment per household, if this is right it means that my money will be going into my dads bank account, stealing what little independence i have left. i'm sorry but i just liked the fact that me, and only me had access to my money when it was coming into MY account!

is this because of Tory? or would the changes still be the same if Labour was in power? anyone know...?