Thread: bedroom tax . i dont understand it...can someone help in my case

bedroom tax . i dont understand it...can someone help in my case

i am receiving esa in the support group and dla high care and low mobility.

i live in a 3 bedroom house on my own .

i found out today that i can apply for a discretionary housing payment from the council to help with the bedroom tax . i,m hoping i,m not to late as it starts in april....i,m worried that they may have already given out all of their budget by now.

what i want to know is , am i exempt from paying for one of the bedrooms as i should be having a carer sleeping over to care for me?.......i don,t have any one sleeping over at the moment as i,m not sure how it would affect my money.......
    if a carer slept over at night will i lose some of my benefits?
    i am struggling at night on my own and very scared as well.
    thankyou

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by dearme View Post

i found out today that i can apply for a discretionary housing payment from the council to help with the bedroom tax . i,m hoping i,m not to late as it starts in april....i,m worried that they may have already given out all of their budget by now.

what i want to know is , am i exempt from paying for one of the bedrooms as i should be having a carer sleeping over to care for me?.......i don,t have any one sleeping over at the moment as i,m not sure how it would affect my money.......
    thankyou
    to get bedroom tax discount I would expect the council to want to see that the carer is being paid to do the job
    as your on higher rate care they could be paid by getting carers allowance but that would i think cut one of your premiums, each council will make its own rule on evidance needed to prove your using a carer.

you also could use some of the dla care to pay towards a carer as thats what its for.

the discretionary housing payment should not all be spent yet, as the system is new and just starting be warned they might not cover all your loss and getting it once does not mean you will get it again

thankyou
    I agree with DW, if you are getting HRC then something will have to give somewhere else.
    The best thing is to use an online calculator and run the options through.
    However, if you are struggling then there has to be only one option best for you.

thanks.
    do you mean i cannot get the decretionary housing payment if i don,t have a carer staying overnight?
    can i not get it just because i am disabled on dla etc? thankyou

thanks.
    do you mean i cannot get the decretionary housing payment if i don,t have a carer staying overnight?
    Because not all disabled people need an extra bedroom.

The council will ask these questions from everyone... Do you live alone? Do you need an extra 1 or 2 bedrooms? How often has a carer stayed overnight? Do you really need them to? etc...

You may as well call them and ask about the descretionary payment, you've nothing to lose but don't just presume you'll get it as you have a disability.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

davewhit
    thanks.
    given how little money is in the pot for DHP then unless you have a very good case and are really using and can prove your spending money and are backed up by drs you need night care then I see little chance of getting it read the 44 page book in the thread I have started on the subject and of course put in a claim for it and see what they say.

i would suggest to all like dave says see your doctors then get them to backup if you need a spare bedroom based on medical grounds, i have done this and been told i don't have to pay.

one thing all areas will have different crtiera so some might not accept this method but at least it is worth a try.

i spoke to my council yesterday and they are struggling with the new system which has come in to place so make sure to contact them if you think a mistake has been made.