Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walk in shower/Wet Room and draughts!

Walk in shower/Wet Room and draughts!

Hi

Having finally managed to get a bungalow (after waiting 12 years!) it's rapidly becoming a bad choice

It's a lot colder than our previous 3 bed semi, windows although double glazed are draughty and both the front and rear doors are very badly fitted and even with curtains hung in front of them are letting freezing cold air in. The housing association have been out and looked at the windows and said they can't do anything, supposedly are getting a new upvc back door, which due to the layout is actually right next to my bed in the rear bedroom, but they say they now used a sub-contractor (Nationwide) in Bradford (92 miles away) who will have to come out, measure up, go back to Bradford, make the door and return and fit it.

The main problem is with the bathroom, there's no bath just a shower cubicle which had an electric shower the electrician described as only being suitable for washing your hands, they did come out and replace it as it was leaking but refused to fit a larger mains cable so it's only 8.3Kw and doesn't have the power to heat sufficient water for a decent flow at higher temperatures, it may be better in the summer when the incoming water isn't as cold. However, the shower has a pump for draining the water which is horrendously noisy, it's bad enough for me but it causes major distress to my autistic son and he now has to be forced to shower.

The other problem with it are the half height doors which seal with a magnetic strip, they offer no support for me at all and I have fallen almost every time I've used the shower, there's also not enough room to use my chair so I have to stand (which almost guarantees I will fall).

We had a similar shower unit in our previous house and the housing associations own occupational therapist took one look at it and immediately had it removed and replaced with a flat floor wet room. The new housing association say they don't have an occupational therapist and I have to get my GP to sort it out, GP says nothing to do with him and to ask the council, council says they may do the work and it may or may not give me a grant but I need to have OT assessment and permission from housing association.

I've been going round in circles for 2 months and am getting nowhere, if I could afford it I'd get someone in to do it but with having to find 2 months rent while we moved (don't ask!) it's wiped out what little savings we had as well as meaning I had to take out a social fund loan.

Sorry for rambling on
    Last edited by phaedra; 04-03-13 at 20:46.

Did you visit and inspect the bungalow before accepting it? If so, a lot of Councils/Housing associations would take the view that you willingly moved into the property as it was. It's a favourite "get out" clause. If you were not asked to view before accepting, you may be in a position to argue the points mentioned. Even so, contact your local CAB, and ask for advice. With all the budget cuts etc to local councils, the amount of money for adapting/repairing properties for disabled people is getting smaller. You could try applying for a Disabled Facilities grant. I am not sure how all these things work, so maybe others can give you better advice?

your local adult services should be able to help with an O.T ask at local council housing office

I know exactly where you are coming from I moved from a 1 bed flat to a bungalow like you after a 13year wait, i viewed it in the summer and it seemed ok but ever since moved in especially when weather turned so bad its freezing everyroom theres drafts you block the vents and the doors but its still the same. My shower is one of the ones that have no doors on you have to pull curtain so far but it leaks over and the tiles are as slippy as hell. When i spoke to the housing they said they are double glazed so nothing can be done i got some stick on draught excluder stuff from the pound shop and put it around the windows which as helped a bit. Then in summer you get terrible time with flying ants if you have the old boiler behind wall as mine. They told me that bungalows usually got less spent on them, especially the older ones. I'm afraid we are stuck we them and the high fuel bills that come with them. I have tried looking for grants but so far all i've been told is to see if i could find a charity that would help with new doors, flooring and shower maybe you could try that you might have more luck where you are good luck

I only had a few minutes to see it, we were offered it out of the blue and had to decide and sign for it there and then as there were a lot of others wanting it.

The windows and doors are double glazed but are wood and about 20 to 30 years old. I rang the housing ass. on Monday to confirm there was a new back door being fitted, nothing showing on the system and they promised to ring back (and haven't). I also rang Social Care Direct this morning and they promised to get an OT to ring me to discuss the bathroom, surprisingly they haven't rang back either

I'm still waiting for a care assessment for my needs, the only one I've (sort of) had is with regard to my extra needs as a full time carer looking after my son 24/7/365, that took over 4 years and a formal complaint 15 months ago, took them 9 months to come out and then nothing for almost 6 months until I complained again and again, they passed it on to my sons care coordinator to look at!. So basically the same old cr@p as usual, nothing gets done and we just carry on getting worse as we go.
    Last edited by phaedra; 06-03-13 at 17:04.

ggoodman
    Hi Phaedra, I happened to stumble upon your thread concerning Direct Payments (its now closed so I am contacting you over this thread. I hope you don't mind.) I am a trainee journalist and I have been doing research into the personalisation of care - especially focusing on direct payments. I have been looking at the possible shortfalls of this service. Your story (what I read of it in that thread) is really interesting and I would be really keen to talk to you about you and your sons circumstances. Social care is an important subject to me and I really want to raise awareness to the problems people are facing. Would you be interested in talking to me?

Gemma
    [phone no. deleted]

Update, after several more calls to the council, my housing association and SCD I have an OT coming out on Wednesday morning to look at the bathroom

Of course it will come down to funding so even if she says I need a wet room it could be a very long time before I get one! (looking on the dark side as usual!).

Waste of time

Basically, as I have a shower that (just) works and I can get into (with a great deal of difficulty and pain) it's not urgent so there's nothing going to be done. Even if it was urgent there may not be any money for a grant and even if there was it could take months.

So, next time I fall trying to get in or out or when I'm trying to stand up in it (as there's barely enough room for a small stool and the grab rail is on the wrong side and height) I'll just have to remember how lucky I am that it works at all.

I can however have a raised toilet seat if that would help

Hi Phaedra, I only waited 5 months for my bathroom to be converted to a wetroom. I contacted Adult Social Care at my local Council, OT came out to assess, and it was granted. The only reason for waiting was simply awaiting the contractor to fit me in. Having the wetroom has transformed my life, at a cost to the Council of approx £3,800 to whom I am eternally grateful.

So was is your update?

Just a small update to this thread.

We've now been here for 13 months, front and back doors have been replaced by Nationwide, back door has been "adjusted" 3 times and now seals all round apart from the bottom so I've still got to put extra draught excluder on it. The front porch/entrance is still freezing even with the new door, from what the fitter told me it's because there's no cavity wall insulation in the house.

Still got the old windows which even with the vents wide open turn black with mould very quickly.

Shower is still the same, next door neighbour has made several complaints about the noise as my son will only get showered when I'm in bed out of the way so usually about 12:30am. I've told the housing association that as far as I'm concerned the noise is their problem, the shower drain pump is supposed to be speed controlled by the amount of water going through the shower, apparently nobody fitted the controller when the shower was originally installed so it runs at full speed. If they can't be bothered to fix it the neighbours will just have to put up with the noise the same as we have to

Other than that, it's a nice quiet area, a bit further "out in the sticks" than we were before which makes getting places more of a problem but I suppose you can't have the quiet location without that.

It's still costing more to heat than the previous house but the electricity usage is around 25% less for some reason!.

I'm still saving up to get a few things done, loft access and flooring (as we are very short of storage space), a silent shower pump! and at some point a wet room would be ideal but as it's new car time I'm having to use what we've managed to save and borrow the rest for the AP on the car.