View Poll Results: Using the forum from a mobile

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use the site from a mobile and would appreciate a new mobile version of the site

5 8.77%
  • I am already using it from a mobile and find it usable as it is

2 3.51%
  • I do not plan to use the site from a mobile

44 77.19%
  • I regularly use a smartphone to view webpages,I would visit a mobile version of youreable more often

6 10.53%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updating the Youreable forum

Updating the Youreable forum

We are currently in the process of updating the Youreable forum template that controls how the forum looks and works. The new template will update security and usability issues and have additional links to further information, however the design should stay the same. The service may be disrupted for a number of hours but please let us know if the change causes any usability issues. Thank you for your patience.

The upgraded template has an option that could be used to optimise the site when you are viewing it from a Smartphone. However before we decide whether to use this (it would take some time for us to design and test it) we would like to know how many of you would use it. Please take a moment to complete the poll:
    • Would you use the site from a mobile?
    • If you are already using it from a mobile do you find it usable as it is or would you appreciate a mobile version of the site?

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    We are currently in the process of updating the Youreable forum template that controls how the forum looks and works. The new template will update security and usability issues and have additional links to further information, however the design should stay the same. The service may be disrupted for a number of hours but please let us know if the change causes any usability issues. Thank you for your patience.

The upgraded template has an option that could be used to optimise the site when you are viewing it from a Smartphone. However before we decide whether to use this (it would take some time for us to design and test it) we would like to know how many of you would use it. Please take a moment to complete the poll:
    • Would you use the site from a mobile?
    • If you are already using it from a mobile do you find it usable as it is or would you appreciate a mobile version of the site?
    That's interesting. I've never bothered to view the site via a smartphone. However I do have about 90 Apps to access all sorts of things from retailers, banks, games to news, facebook Twitter etc.

Presently I use an Iphone5 and I designed a website for a voluntary group specifically so it worked across different mobile devices. However I don't know too much about HTML so I used WordPress responsive theme.

As to how many people own a smartphone and have access to fast broadband is another matter. I'm using the 4G wi-fi network so download etc is especially quick.

A lot of disabled people rely on the internet for cheap social interaction. nIn your shoes I'd invest in future technology and create a mobile friendly version that doesn't time out quickly!

Good luck.

I agree with Lighttouch.

You missed an answer on your poll though "I us my smartphone to view webpages all the time and would view youreable more often if there was a mobile version".

You may find that the answer "I do not plan to use the site from a mobile" is the most popular choice as smartphones are still very pricy and most on low incomes won't see the benefits, but investing in creating a mobile version will open Youreable up to more users, especially those who embrace new technology.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Thank you both, and thank you to everyone who voted. We have added the extra option to the poll (had to change the wording slightly as there is a 100 character limit).
    Yes we need to invest in new technology and open Youreable up to more users so we will add the mobile version but taking into account the poll results so far we will do some other work (on www.dlf.org.uk and www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk) first and come back to it (within six months). We have already made a mobile version of www.asksara.org.uk (using html5) and would welcome any feedback.

Thanks again

Admin

I have a basic mobile which i can use for calls and texts, nothing else.
    I once tried to use a friends Blackberry(?) to check on the football scores, couldn't figure it out...
    Illegitimi non carborundum

This is quite interesting.

There is a trend that people prefer to use tablets/ipads to a desktop PC.

I use an Apple Imac as it's the best platform for creatives. I also use a smartphone as stated before.

More and more companies are going digital and unless retailers get on board with an online presence they'll soon go bust.

One massive area of growth is 'Apps' for tablets and smartphones - they are brilliant! I can check my bank account, shop at Debhenhams, check Metrolink times, hourly weather, facebook, twitter, BBC News/Sports, youTube, email accounts, SMS Text etc in fact I have over 100 Apps on my phone which means I don't need to be stuck indoors to access information.

But be warned! I deliberately bought a phone that was 4G enabled. And I used the network supplier EE on their 4GEE network - the fastest mobile 4G network in the country - it works 5 times quicker than the 3G network.

Hopefully by the end of this year 97% of the country will be covered by wireless broadband.

From Youreable's point of view it should think in terms of producing an Apple and Android App initially for tablets as more people are buying these and connecting to their home wireless broadband router.

You can still gain acess to free wi-fi hotspots in your area at places like Tesco and coffee shops.

Smartphone technology isn't cheap - you may think you only need a mobile for calls and texting but they open a whole new world of experienes and I couldn't do without mine.

Also the not insignificant factors of a smartphone is STILL small screen and if you have visual problems or if your hands shake, it is STILL easier to use a pc keyboard. and personally, I can't txt while moving. I have to sit down and even on a train the vibrations will make me mis-type.

I use my phone to view webpages a lot of the time. If I go out anywhere I have to stop and sit down a lot so I tend to get my phone out and use that time to go online. I also tend to use it in the evenings because it's to hand when often my laptop isn't. I currently have an iphone 4s. I thought I didn't need and couldn't afford a smartphone. Now I don't know how anyone manages without one!

I have a Nokia Windows Smart Phone and I can and do view this site on my phone.

The only problem is for some reason I cant use my phone to reply to threads. As soon as I click on the window to make a reply it jumps straight off it. The keyboard doesn't come up on the phone.

I have no problem with the other sites I use and can reply to threads on them, its just this site that I'm having problems with.

Don't know if there's anything I can do.

Its a shame as I use my phone to use this site nearly as much as I use my laptop and sometimes when I want to reply to a thread that I've seen on my phone. I don't end up doing so when I use my laptop.

Is there another browser you can install on your phone? I don't use Windows Phone (my phone is Android, as are all the other tablets and mobile phones in the family), but there may be an alternative browser in the app store.

I use Firefox on my laptop, and Firefox on my phone. I find Firefox much better than the built-in Android browser. Chrome is another good option on Android.