Thread: benefits and state pension

benefits and state pension help

hi there just doing my sister a favour as she cant use computers. She is due to receive her state pension in march 2015.she has been on sda and income support for years also dla mob both higher rate . she has been divorced for about ten years .i have been told she will not receive a full state pension because above benefits do not give nat ins credits. but went in gateway and input her nat ins number and states she will get full state pension plus little bit of 2nd state pension .confused as to which is right. can anyone please advise.

many thanks
    Last edited by happylad; 25-02-13 at 18:11.

Quote Originally Posted by happylad View Post
    hi there just doing my sister a favour as she cant use computers. She is due to receive her state pension in march 2015.she has been on sda and income support for years also dla mob both higher rate . she has been divorced for about ten years .i have been told she will not receive a full state pension because above benefits do not give nat ins credits. but went in gateway and input her nat ins number and states she will get full state pension plus little bit of 2nd state pension .confused as to which is right. can anyone please advise.

many thanks
    If she has not remarried, and doesn't remarry before she gets her State Pension, any potential shortfall for years when she might have been paying the old married womens' reduced NI stamp would be made up by using her ex husbands' contribution record.
    Also the years of full contributions needed now to qualify for full basic state pension have reduced to 30.
    Either or both of these things might explain it.
    DLA certainly doesn't qualify for NI credits. SDA - I'm not sure. Replies to the same question on another thread differ, and it's something I need to check out. SDA has certainly changed over the years and is now being merged with ESA. It is possible that in it's early days it did give credits, but please don't take my word for it!

1. You can check NI records with the HMRC NIC office in Newcastle

2. The SDA can be traded for the SRP but you can keep receiving the SDA instead of claiming your SRP. This can be a good idea if either your SRP is lower than your SDA or you have other income. The SDA is not taxable, so you can be better off if you have occupational pensions in payment.

pouwanny
    State pension age is the age when people can choose to start getting their State Pension. State pension age used to always be 60 for a woman and 65 for a man. However, state pension age is changing for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by happylad View Post

many thanks
    The SDA - severe disablement allowance - allows her national insurance credits that cover her state pension entitlement and makes sure she does not lose out on her pension by not having worked due to disability. DLA and income support do not give you national insurance credits. The Gateway info would be correct.