Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel in London

I havent looked into this just read the thread. Where on earth do you guys live to be charged these prices for trains?
    I live in Essex and on TV they have been advertising fares to Edinborough from here for as little as £17 each way. Those prices are outrageous.
    Also, I used to be a taxi driver in London many moons ago. I don't see any reason why you cannot get from Euston to Westminster on the tube. I know for a fact Westminster is a disbaled access station because i have used it. I will go check on Euston. I am almost certain it will be.
    Plus when you come out of Westminster station Big ben is literally the other side of the road, you are looking righ at it, so the walk to Houseof Lords is about 2 or 3 mins walk.

Go to this website and phone them. http://www.transportforall.org.uk/services/
    They are very helpful. Don't be daunted by using the tube. It is very easy even though very busy and there is always a member of staff around to help. They even have special ramps to get you on and off trains if needed.

Thank you but I went yesterday. Used a taxi from Euston to Westminster; good job too as it would have taken too long by tube. £15 or so each way. That was the train fare from Lancashire to London that I mentioned. booked in advance because i didn't dare leave it till last minute. Remember that was return fare for two people. Night before they were advertising single fares for £19!!!!!! But if you have to book in advance which of course you do with a wheelchair, it's cheapest £82 return for one person and at rush hour (6.30pm) it's £689 for the return journey for 2 people. Note the other poster's comments too on fares. Virgin rail used ramps for the train but we sat for 10 minutes at Euston before anyone arrived to get me off.

Popski, I hope your day in London went well.

Do you have a Disabled Railcard? You get a 33% discount on tickets. I think it cost £20 a year.

No point me having a railcard as I haven't been on a train in 10 years. Northern rail will only allow my scooter IF I can take it apart, fold it up and carry it on board myself .Then if there is no free seat I have to stand which is impossible. They say I could take a wheelchair but I can't travel alone with a wheelchair as i can't propel it now. Also 3/4 local stations are inaccessible. they promise a taxi to the next one along but having tried it and taxi never turned up (twice) it's just not worth it. This was a one off to London. I had won a large Art competition and was invited to the Awards and tea at the House of Lords. Something I just couldn't miss. I doubt it will ever happen again LOL

Congratulations on your win. Tea at the House of Lords, no I would not have missed that either.

No It was rather special, especially being on the private terrace by the Thames. Thank you