Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESA changed From WRAG to Support. No Medical, No Tribunal. Surprised How Easy It Was.

ESA changed From WRAG to Support. No Medical, No Tribunal. Surprised How Easy It Was.

After waiting a few months from telling DWP that I was appealing the decision to put me in WRAG, I received a letter today telling me that they had looked again at their decision. They have changed me from WRAG to support group.

You could have knocked me down with a feather. After reading some of the horror stories on here, and asking the best way to deal with the DWP over my change to ESA from IB, I was expecting a big fight all the way through a tribunal appeal. It almost seemed too easy, compared to what I've heard. Considering I've had no medical for years, I'm suspicious that it was too easy.

My case went like this -

2003 - started on IB

2007ish - had an ATOS medical - allowed to stay on IB

July 2012 - Had the dreaded letter telling me that they were changing me over to ESA, and telling me to complete the medical questionnaire.

Aug 2012 - Sent medical questionnaire to ATOS

Sept 2012 - Informed that I am to go into WRAG on ESA

Oct 2012 - Send off GL24 appeal form

Dec 2012 - Have my first appointment with my back to work adviser at local Job Centre. She seems ill advised about my conditions, and was under the impression that I only suffered from sciatica (if only!). She seems surprised that I am there with my mobility problems and other health issues. All suggestions she has for me re. work and training are completely unsuitable and I can see that she knows this. I sense that she is going through the motions and realises that finding an employer willing to take me on would be difficult. When she asks how I am getting home, I tell her that I can get a lift from a friend, but not for 2 hours. She calls me a taxi, which the DWP pays for. Total waste of time.

Today (21st Feb 2013) - I get a shock with a letter that tells me that they have now looked at the decision again, and placed me in the support group. This is completely out of the blue. I am extremely relieved.

My questions -

As I haven't had a medical for years, and I didn't have to go through a tribunal and I haven't even spoken to my GP about my benefits, is this likely to be one those cases where after putting me in the support group - soon after they ask me in for a medical, maybe change me back to WRAG, and the whole process starts all over again?

Has the medical examination, appeals, tribunal process been relaxed? Maybe because of adverse media attention or possibly that the appeals/tribunal process is overloaded and can't cope?

Was my experience with the Job Centre adviser likely to have had an affect on the decision process?

I'm really confused by the whole thing. Knowing the DWP and ATOS, the way it turned out makes me suspicious.

Any answer to your questions would be guesses as only the DWP seem to know what the criteria is.
    There are many, as you say, who are being re-assessed 5 minutes after having their decision changed but if I was you I would be making the most of the decision as it is and worrying about anything else when or if it comes along.
    After all it's no more than you deserve.

my own migration was exactly as yours from sending gl24 to letter as yours 22 weeks

There are a lot of people having a truly torrid time trying to get where they should be. This tends to over shadow the fact that sometimes, just sometimes, the system actually works. Yours was one of those. Relax for a little while.

yeah i dont know how they come to the decision either but a lot of appeals are getting settled out of court, mine was like that too, sent off appeal and simply waited a long time until they told me i was back on it (but this was with IB, havent changed to ESA yet)

Thank you for your replies. The DWP moves in mysterious ways.

Am I right to be worried that I will soon get a letter for a medical, and find myself back in WRAG? How long am I likely to stay in SG? there was no mention of time in the change of decision letter. Will the DWP tell me how long I will be in SG, or is the term random?

It seems that although I am pleased to be changed to S G, there isn't really any more security for me than when I was in WRAG. Does anyone on here know how long their S G award is for?

Aplogies for all the questions, and thanks for any help and advice.

I think there is maybe a little bit more security as believe if you are put into WRAg and get severe disability premium - that will stop. Being in the S/G means you will still get it.
    Sea Queen

phone dwp ask them if they say dont know ask them to send you form LT54 the DM report it should say on that, and also the ESA85A

Quote Originally Posted by woodbine View Post

Am I right to be worried that I will soon get a letter for a medical, and find myself back in WRAG? How long am I likely to stay in SG? there was no mention of time in the change of decision letter. Will the DWP tell me how long I will be in SG, or is the term random?

It seems that although I am pleased to be changed to S G, there isn't really any more security for me than when I was in WRAG. Does anyone on here know how long their S G award is for?

Aplogies for all the questions, and thanks for any help and advice.
    You cannot put time periods on DWP awards, they can re-assess anytime.
    You are in SG and will stay there, if they decide to re-assess you they will send a form and possibly request you attend an ATOS examination.
    I understand people want more peace of mind in the decisions they get but you are not going to get it from this lot so you will have to accept that and make the most of your situation especially as you are better off than many.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbine View Post

There is a review date on the computer you can call and ask them but you need to take 4 months off it as they start the ball rolling to try and get you done by review date, I was told 3 years so counting that as 2 years 6 months