Thread: Boot hoists for wheelchairs

Boot hoists for wheelchairs

Hello everyone, just signed up to see if anyone can help. I drive a motability car with an electric hoist in the boot. (auto chair, 4way hoist). My three years is coming to an end and I would be interested to hear people's experiences of refitting hoists, and how many years they generally last. Feels like I've had conflicting advice so far. I work full time, and am totally reliant on this hoist.

Quote Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
    Hello everyone, just signed up to see if anyone can help. I drive a motability car with an electric hoist in the boot. (auto chair, 4way hoist). My three years is coming to an end and I would be interested to hear people's experiences of refitting hoists, and how many years they generally last. Feels like I've had conflicting advice so far. I work full time, and am totally reliant on this hoist.
    Hi,

Taken from the Motability website:

Transferring adaptations

In some cases an adaptation can be transferred from your old car, although not all adaptations are suitable for transfer, for example, hand controls. If you want to transfer an adaptation, you must check with your installer or manufacturer to ensure that it is possible. You should also inform RSAM for insurance purposes.

http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-and...-modifications

Which does seem a bit 'woolly' but it does seem to be on a case by case basis. However like yourself I am dependent on having a boot hoist for my powerchair and this is my experience:

I had to change my previous Motability car in autumn 2012. This car was fitted with the old Autochair 4 way 150kg hoist. The problem I found was that this hoist had very little adjustment available to enable it to fit into a new car.

Hence really you need to know whether your current hoist will fit/work in whatever vehicle you are looking to order. I found actually speaking with Autochair invaluable as they were able to tell me which car/hoist/chair combinations would fit and work together (or not fit/work together as the case maybe).

Hence I had to have a new hoist fitted in my new car. The new hoist is an Autochair Olympian 150kg hoist which compared to the older Autochair hoist is 'light years' better and has a lot more adjustment available which should enable it to be moved across when in the future I change my current car. Also due to its range of adjustments it should be okay for when I need to change my powerchair at the end of its life. Thus I have 'future proofed' myself as best as I can.

Fortunately I get an automatic grant to help with the costs of adaptions such as the hoist which does go a long way to help with the cost as the new hoist was in excess of £500. Like you I work, and was told it maybe worth trying to see if financial assistance from Access to Work was available. However as I was eligible for the grant I didn't need to go down this route but it maybe worth a try if a new hoist is needed.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    The new hoist is an Autochair Olympian 150kg hoist which compared to the older Autochair hoist is 'light years' better and has a lot more adjustment available which should enable it to be moved across when in the future I change my current car. Also due to its range of adjustments it should be okay for when I need to change my powerchair at the end of its life. Thus I have 'future proofed' myself as best as I can.

Paul
    Hey PaulG
    You have the same hoist as I have.
    To the OP not only is it important your hoist will physically fit into a new car and be correctly anchored on strong points, but also will it be able to correctly lift the chair into a new car and be able to lower it into a safe position in the boot from where it can be tied down. This was the problem I had in that although it fitted into my new c-max, the range of the arm high point pivot was restricted so could not lower the chair into a safe position. The new hoists seem more adaptable than the old and the high point fulcrum on the arm can be altered nowadays. As Paul said its worth speaking with a hoist manufacturer to see if your current hoist can work in your new car.
    ian

Thanks I'll speak to the company who fitted the hoist. It looks like a c-max or c-max grand might also be my best bet, sounds like i may end up with the Olympian hoist too! Ive always had the impression that motability grants wouldn't be available to people who work. I've been a motability customer for over 20 years and sometimes things have changed but I've been a bit slow to realise, so Wil certainlyntalk to them. I'll also investigate access to work although this wasn't something they could help with 3 years ago, but again things do change.