Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deteriorating Health & my Contribution Based ESA ending in the summer, help please

Deteriorating Health & my Contribution Based ESA ending in the summer, help please

I don't know what to do for a start, this may be a little long winded but I want to give you as much info as possible so that you can hopefully give me the best advice.

I've suffered with my nerves ever since my abusive (I was a battered husband) marriage broke down in 1990 and as the years have gone on I've gotten progressively worse, suffering with depression since both my parents died within three years of each other (I was my mum's unpaid carer for the last year of her life) and left my last job after attempting a prescription pain killers overdose/suicide in 2008.

I've had arthritis in my shoulder, elbow and kneck/lower back for over ten years (my doctor puts the back trouble down to the kickings I used to get of my ex-wife and putting it out at work in 2002).

I've been asthmatic since mid-1990 and although I quit smoking in 2008 my breathing has gotten worse.

After handing in my notice at work (on my doctors advise) I've been on Incapacity Benefit until last year when I was transferred to the ESA WRAG group. Since my initial Limited Capability For Work assessment by ATOS last year my health (as is the case with most claimants) has gotten worse.

I was diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder in May last year (shortly after my ATOS assessment) which at least explained why I'm so low from late October until mid-March every year, I'm just about learning to fight it which is one good thing in all the mess I'm in!

I (could) walk 100 yards when I was assessed without any pain or breathing difficulties but again since my assessment my back pain has gotten worse - physiotherapy and acupuncture sessions didn't do any good in the long term and I've been in pain daily since last summer (my physio has referred me to a chronic pain management team to determine what can be done to help me and I have my first appointment with them this coming March), sometimes the pain is so bad I can barely walk 50 yards without pain and this is really getting me down now that I've had to come off the anti-inflammatory tablets I've been on for eight years (I'll explain the reason in a bit). Because of my nerves I won't go into town on the bus on my own and rely on friends to take me shopping. I walk everywhere even though it causes me pain and breathing problems if I can't go out with a friend. I'm absolutely shattered by the time I get home if I walk into town, especially if I carry shopping home (it's an hour's walk nearly).

Breathing - as stated I've been asthmatic for over twenty years and having a chest infection nearly every winter for over ten years is really beginning to take it's toll on my lungs. I've been getting more out of breath in the past year than I've ever done in (sometimes, especially in the winter I can just about walk 100 metres before I'm breathless) the past and on Monday of this week my peak flow was down to 200 and I could barely string two words together when I phoned for an ambulance, the paramedic told me that if he'd been a few minutes slower getting here I'd have gone into respiratory arrest and would've died (I knew I was ill but I had no idea I was that bad), after three nebuliser sessions I ended up in hospital where blood tests showed I wasn't retaining oxygen in my system (my blood oxygen level was at 25% when I was admitted), suffice to say I was in dire straits. The consultant went crazy when he found out what meds I was on saying that whoever prescribed me naproxen for my arthritis shouldn't be a doctor as that was what was making my asthma worse (hence me not being on any meds for it at the moment). During my stay in hospital I was nebulised another dozen (maybe more, I lost count eventually after being done every couple of hours) times in 24 hours and was on oxygen for 20 hours to get me stablised. I've had a course of antibiotics and steroids to sort my chest out but obviously I'm still very breathless but not wheezy.

I'm at the respiratory clinic on Monday to review my inhalers etc and am hoping to see my GP the same day to sort something out for my arthritis.

Sorry for going into so much detail but I wanted (as I said) to give you as much to go on to advise me. I did do what a friend advised yesterday and filled in an online claim for DLA (but I'm not hopeful of getting it if I was put in the WRAG group by ASTOS rather than the Support Group).

Where do I stand with my ESA? I'm due to see my claimant advisor again in March and even though at my last interview with her she wasn't expecting me to look for work until I'd gotten over my winter blues and chest infection I do expect her to start nagging me to look for a job, don't get me wrong I want to work but at the moment I don't feel I want to yet after the frightening experience I had earlier this week, I know I've tried suicide and failed but I wanted to die then and on Monday knowing I was so close to going I released I'm not ready yet! Should I be making an appeal to get into the Support Group or should I wait and see if I get DLA (or at least an assessment first)? I've no savings or any other income and with bills of over £200 a month out of £420 ESA a month I get I'm gonna be in a mess if I don't get any money when my CB-ESA ends in August, please give me whatever advise that anyone can, I really don't know what to do!

Thanks

Simon

davewhit
    getting dla might help with an esa review or as they call it suppersession to get in support group

that said depending on other income after 365 days you might just get esa IR paid seek expert advise

as for being told 25%? sats someones pulling your leg below 92% good chance you would drop dead lowest recorded and lived was a dr on everest and his was 80% dr Dan Martin University College of London medical researcher

Hi Dave,

Perhaps I misunderstood about my bloodox, I've just looked at my discharge paperwork that they've also sent to my GP.

I'm quoting that here - B/o2 on admission 93.5 (no percentage showed, so I assume that's more accurate than what the nurse told me in broken english) Bloods-CRP-25 Wcc-NAD (that could be the 25 couldn't it? No idea what the Wcc-NAD means though). Still frightening what you said though along with what the paramedic said.

Would it be worth going into the Job Centre on Monday and making some enquiries as I'm in town for my respiratory clinic appointment? If I don't get DLA the only income I'll have is ESA so I'll need something to live on until I can find a job I'm able to do without it buggering me up more than I already am lol

Hello Simon,
    I'm new to all this myself having been migrated over last Sept/OCT time, but from what I've learned so far I don't think you have to worry about your ESA running out. If you have "no savings, other income" or a partner working full time you qualify for IR ESA and if, as you say your monthly income is "£420" you may well qualify now.

Go to the "turn2us" website and put your details in their benefit checker, very good help there. Hopefully somebody better qualified will be along soon to help you out.

Keep your pecker up, started posting before DW showed.
    Last edited by Jard; 16-02-13 at 14:39.

Cheers Jard,

I've done the benefit checker and apparently I outta be on IB-ESA and not paying any rent or council tax so if/when I go onto IB-ESA I'll be over £25 a week better off, not much I admit but certainly enough for me to be a bit more independent when I want to go out as I've a fellow member of my church who's a taxi driver and I'd feel comfortable travelling with him rather than the white knuckle ride that riding a bus is for me!
    I'll defo look into things once I've got a bit more advise from you guys here.
    Last edited by SimonG1967; 16-02-13 at 16:31. Reason: missed word

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonG1967 View Post
    Hi Dave,

Perhaps I misunderstood about my bloodox, I've just looked at my discharge paperwork that they've also sent to my GP.

I'm quoting that here - B/o2 on admission 93.5 (no percentage showed, so I assume that's more accurate than what the nurse told me in broken english) Bloods-CRP-25 Wcc-NAD (that could be the 25 couldn't it? No idea what the Wcc-NAD means though). Still frightening what you said though along with what the paramedic said.

Would it be worth going into the Job Centre on Monday and making some enquiries as I'm in town for my respiratory clinic appointment? If I don't get DLA the only income I'll have is ESA so I'll need something to live on until I can find a job I'm able to do without it buggering me up more than I already am lol
    I think you from your post might move to ESA IR, yes go and see them and CAB if you can

93.5% sats is not good 97 or higher normal

davewhit
    Cheers Jard,

I've done the benefit checker and apparently I outta be on IB-ESA and paying any rent or council tax so if/when I go onto IB-ESA I'll be over £25 a week better off, not much I admit but certainly enough for me to be a bit more independent when I want to go out as I've a fellow member of my church who's a taxi driver and I'd feel comfortable travelling with him rather than the white knuckle ride that riding a bus is for me!
    Income related ESA will also be your passport to other benefits example prescriptions

Cheers Jard,

I've done the benefit checker and apparently I outta be on IB-ESA and paying any rent or council tax so if/when I go onto IB-ESA I'll be over £25 a week better off, not much I admit but certainly enough for me to be a bit more independent when I want to go out as I've a fellow member of my church who's a taxi driver and I'd feel comfortable travelling with him rather than the white knuckle ride that riding a bus is for me!
    That's the spirit Si,
    If I've understood you correctly there, it looks to me you are actually losing money now - get it sorted pronto.

I think wcc is white cell count and NAD is nothing abnormal detected. White cell numbers increase when we have an infection as they are the immune army sent out to deal with foreign invaders in our bodies. Hope this helps

97 99 normal for healthy people as OP has asthma with chest infections 94 95 more normal below 94 starts getting looked at so just under normal for person with his condition