Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mind Boggled bed room tax

Angry Mind Boggled bed room tax

well if people get confused then how about this to pull your hair out.

many know that the nice or un-nice coalition are bringing in the new bedroom tax and through this just before Christmas i received a letter informing me of the new changes and also informing me that i would be paying the new bedroom tax.

i contacted my local council only to be told that it was a mistake and i wouldn't be paying, fair enough i thought.

Low and behold in January i then got yet another letter informing me of the new welfare changes and yet again i was informed that i would be paying the new bed room tax so yet again i then contacted my local council Lancaster city only to be told yet again that it was a mistake and that i wouldn't be paying the new tax.

I was told on this second occassion that they had sent out thousands of letters without checking and basically i was not on enough H.B to pay the tax.

Well guess what only a 3rd letter has arrived and you guess it, i am told that i will again be paying the new council tax!

On Monday i will be contacting my council to sort out this mess but do feel that this mind boggling saga will continue.

Well if i could i would pull my hair out but sadly not much on top, talk about total confusion here

one totally confused UK citizen

Everyone has to pay the bedroom tax if they have a bedroom more than it is deemed they need.
    It's about time your council got their act together and trained their employees in the correct legislation.

IMO this tax is like going back to the dark ages when taxes had to be paid on the number of windows. So many were bricked up. I wonder what would happen if people blocked up their extra bedroom so it was not accessable.
    Last edited by beau; 10-02-13 at 09:36.

Hi beau,

when i contact my local council in the morning i will provide an update on this total mess but in the mean time your idea does sound very good and will look around for a bricky, only joking.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Everyone has to pay the bedroom tax if they have a bedroom more than it is deemed they need.
    It's about time your council got their act together and trained their employees in the correct legislation.

IMO this tax is like going back to the dark ages when taxes had to be paid on the number of windows. So many were bricked up. I wonder what would happen if people blocked up their extra bedroom so it was not accessable.
    Not quiet every one beau. This was taken from
    HB/CTB A4/2012
    ADJUDICATION AND OPERATIONS CIRCULAR

Exempt accommodation – The size limit rules will not be applied to those in
    supported ‘exempt’ accommodation. This is a particular type of supported
    accommodation defined for Housing Benefit purposes as accommodation
    provided by a non-metropolitan county council in England, a housing
    association, a registered charity or voluntary organisation where that body or
    a person acting on its behalf also providesthe claimant with care, support or
    supervision as set out in paragraph 4 of Schedule 3 to the Consequential
    Provisions Regulations 2006.

Not quite sure what it means but thereis a littlelight in the tunnel

In other words I think they mean sheltered housing or being in assisted living.

davewhit
    http://www.housing.org.uk/policy/wel...9_penalty.aspx

All claimants who are deemed to have at least one spare bedroom will be affected. This includes:
    •Separated parents who share the care of their children and who may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children (who receives the extra benefit)
    •Couples who use their ‘spare’ bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
    •Foster carers because foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
    •Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
    •Families with disabled children
    •Disabled people including people living in adapted or specially designed properties.

My good friend who lives just down the road had lived in her mothers 2 bedroom house for nearly 40yrs, her mother had died suddenly and now she will have a spare bedroom that she will need to pay for?

Now Cameron wants people to down size if you can not afford to pay this Tax, that's easier said then done my friend is now stuck there and there is simply not enough smaller 1 bedroom properties around her area, what does Cameron want her to do now move location?

I just think its time this PM gets booted out and very soon

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomos View Post
    My good friend who lives just down the road had lived in her mothers 2 bedroom house for nearly 40yrs, her mother had died suddenly and now she will have a spare bedroom that she will need to pay for?

Now Cameron wants people to down size if you can not afford to pay this Tax, that's easier said then done my friend is now stuck there and there is simply not enough smaller 1 bedroom properties around her area, what does Cameron want her to do now move location?

I just think its time this PM gets booted out and very soon
    depends on her age ......... how old is she ?

she is 37 she had a letter saying she will need to pay for that spare room, its a no win situation she does not really want to move because of her memories of her mother, but if she stays she will have a financial burden with paying for the extra room.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomos View Post
    she is 37 she had a letter saying she will need to pay for that spare room, its a no win situation she does not really want to move because of her memories of her mother, but if she stays she will have a financial burden with paying for the extra room.
    she could take in a lodger ?