Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESA/WRAG Group

ESA/WRAG Group

I have decided that I can no longer go through the stress of claiming this and having to attend medicals and work focused interviews. I was transferred from Incapacity Benefit to ESA last month. Does anyone know the best way for me to cancel this? I'm thinking of doing it shortly to tie in with the end of the tax year so that my code is adjusted for the new financial year. I'll also need to have my Housing Benefit increased as my income will consequently be less. Has anyone had any experience of this?

Surely just make a phonecall and back it up with a letter saying you no longer wish to claim ESA as the system is so stressful for you.But this is what they will expect lots to do and save them the job of chasing you up.Afterall without us they would all be out of work!

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Indespair View Post
    I have decided that I can no longer go through the stress of claiming this and having to attend medicals and work focused interviews. I was transferred from Incapacity Benefit to ESA last month. Does anyone know the best way for me to cancel this? I'm thinking of doing it shortly to tie in with the end of the tax year so that my code is adjusted for the new financial year. I'll also need to have my Housing Benefit increased as my income will consequently be less. Has anyone had any experience of this?
    The housing benefit people might not be too happy at you dropping income, would you be able to claim JSA ?

Yes, I'm just sounding out really to see if anyone has done this before. I've been trying to get an appointment at CAB but they are inundated with queries at the moment. I've also heard that if the DWP notify the local council that you are no longer claiming ESA they automatically assume you have resumed working and stop your HB. I'm just trying to go about it so as not to cause any misunderstandings.

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    The housing benefit people might not be too happy at you dropping income, would you be able to claim JSA ?
    No as I'm medically retired by my former employers with a small pension.

What a difference from when you first joined but then I'm not sure if that's true and as such if this decision is logical.
    Are you saying that you will be able to cope financially on your pension alone?
    JSA is a far tougher regime. HB is paid on the rateable value of the property, you won't get more if you sign off. Your DLA could also be looked at again.You can't stop claiming because it is too stressfull, the loss of income will be far more stressfull.
    I confess I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    What a difference from when you first joined but then I'm not sure if that's true and as such if this decision is logical.
    Are you saying that you will be able to cope financially on your pension alone?
    JSA is a far tougher regime. HB is paid on the rateable value of the property, you won't get more if you sign off. Your DLA could also be looked at again.You can't stop claiming because it is too stressfull, the loss of income will be far more stressfull.
    I confess I am confused.

If I do this I will no longer have to pay any tax on my pension. I will be entitled to more HB as this is assessed on my earnings, not to mention council tax. There will be very little difference to my income all in all. I would never claim JSA as I'm too ill to work, which is why I was medically retired due to Rheumatoid Arthritis, a very painfull and debilitating disease, for which I was previously getting lifetime Incapacity Benefit. Unfortunately the government has now changed all the rules and I have no option but to stop claiming. I am also going bankrupt. My consolation is that they will not be able to touch my work pension. DLA hopefully will still get this as scored high on ESA and put into WRAG. ESA only lasts a year anyway. Just heartily sick of it all to be honest.

On a light hearted note I was supposed to go for WFI on the 5th February, but received a call that morning to say it was cancelled as the person at Job Centre was sick!

If I do this I will no longer have to pay any tax on my pension. I will be entitled to more HB as this is assessed on my earnings, not to mention council tax. There will be very little difference to my income all in all. I would never claim JSA as I'm too ill to work, which is why I was medically retired due to Rheumatoid Arthritis, a very painfull and debilitating disease, for which I was previously getting lifetime Incapacity Benefit. Unfortunately the government has now changed all the rules and I have no option but to stop claiming. I am also going bankrupt. My consolation is that they will not be able to touch my work pension. DLA hopefully will still get this as scored high on ESA and put into WRAG. ESA only lasts a year anyway. Just heartily sick of it all to be honest.

On a light hearted note I was supposed to go for WFI on the 5th February, but received a call that morning to say it was cancelled as the person at Job Centre was sick!
    Well you are fortunate to have this option, I think many would love to be in that situation of choice.
    All the best to you.

davewhit
    No as I'm medically retired by my former employers with a small pension.
    being medically retired and having a pension does NOT stop you working, for example many police retire due to ill health then go back as on the 999 switchboard, paramdics bad back pension go back with pension on fast response car or mototrbike and of course teachers many retire due to ill health then the next week they are back in the same classroom as a stand in War Pensioners allowed to work and can even claim an alllowance to up the pay if your earning less through being ill.

9 years ago I was medically retired on my pension after I became disabled. Pride and not being content to do nothing I started applying for positions I could have worked at. I knew that I could have only coped with part time work and it would have been a huge cut in money but I was prepared to do that.

Every position I applied for didn't want to know as soon as I revealed I was disabled, not in so many words but reading between the lines that was the reason. No one would even give me a chance. After about 3 years of numerous applications being turned down I gave up and was getting seriously depressed until a OT gave me information about a Volunteer Centre. I found something on their job sheet and have enjoyed that work on a regular basis. I still do it even though I am on my SRP.
    I find my life is now fulfilled and I am content with what I do.

So to be medically retired does not mean you are unable to work, it just means you were unable to carry on with the work you had.

I do admit that positions in this day and age are few and far between which makes life difficult for those wanting work.