Thread: WARNING!!! What happens if you miss a work related interview

Angry WARNING!!! What happens if you miss a work related interview

Just before Xmas I had to look after my granddaughter for a couple of days as my daughter had the flu and then I got the flu also. I completely forgot that I had an interview at JSP on the 20th December and I did not realise I had missed it until after xmas when my support worker called me and asked why I did not attend. I explained to her that I had the flu and it had compltely slipped my mind and also because it was the week before Xmas I was really stressed... and this was the first meeting I had ever missed and I was really sorry etc etc.

So instead of being sympathetic she placed a Sanction on my Benefit and of course this means that they take some of your benefit and you dont get it back until you comply.
    I asked her for another appointment but she said sorry can't see you until next month.
    I hadn't realised that these sanctions are very severe, they STOPPED the main living component of my benefit which was £71.00 I was horrified, I realise that if you miss an appoitment its fair that you should be penalised in some way but this is devestating for me as this is my only income.
    Now you will have people with no empathy and no consideration saying "Oh well lesson learnt, you wont miss one again" but to me that's not the point, like I said you should be penalised if you miss one. But to take the whole of your benefit is just not fair.
    After receiveing this sanction I called the JSP and asked for an emergency appointment, which I attended and was told my benefit would be re instated fully after about 3-4days. It is now 3 WEEKS and I have had no money except the £28.00 this is all down to the woman at the JSP who did not send notification to have the sanction lifted. I have called the DSS every other day for 3 weeks, you have to wait sometimes half an hour to get through and then you have to answer a series of security questions (which you already answer during the automated section of the call) and if for some reason you do not answer the questions correctly they tell you to call back again.. I did this several times as the useless woman at the JSP did not change my landline number last year.
    This is the most frustrating, dehumanising experience I have had they treat you like a leper when you do eventually get through and each person (and there are many) tells you something different .
    I called again on thursday to ask has my Benefit been re instated and was told a payment had been issued and my daughter took me to the Post off and my card was declined because there was no payment.
    Next week it will be 3 weeks since this sanction was put on my benefit.
    So a warning to anyone who misses an appointment...
    I think these sanctions are grossly unfair, even if you commit fraud you can pay back what you owe in installments and they don't take your benefit away.

It is shocking the way people are treated for either being late and genuinely forgetting appointments. My niece had an appointment at doc and notified her adviser 2 weeks before that she may be a few minutes late and adviser said it was ok. Unfortunately doc was running late and my niece was 30 mins late. JCP told her to come back in the afternoon only to tell her no other appointments were available. They stopped her JSA for 1 month.
    There was a programme on tv recently highlighting the appalling treatment of sanctioning and expecting people with mental health problems to fill in forms they have difficulty understanding.

I have it in black and white the first sanction will be £12!

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Fibrogal1955 View Post
    I have it in black and white the first sanction will be £12!
    and the rest

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/update...ction-changes/

What is the change?
    If a decision is made to sanction your benefit, the personal allowance component of your Employment and Support Allowance will be stopped until you do attend the interview, or do the work-related activity you were asked to do (or do another activity as agreed with your adviser or you come to an agreement with your adviser about complying with an activity or attending an interview at an agreed date).
    After that the sanction will continue for an additional - one week, or
    -two weeks if you have previously failed to attend or take part in a work focused interview or undertake work related activity in the last 52 weeks, or
    -four weeks if you have had your benefit reduced for those reasons more than once and the most recent of the previous failures was within 52 weeks of your current failure.
    (We will only count back as far as 3rd December 2012 when these rules begin.)

I think some of the staff at jcp make their own rules. Sadly its up to the person sanctioned to check it out. A person I know who recently became unemployed and had only attended jcp about 4 times and lost the booklet/diary she was to fill in detailing jobs she applied for. She was told she could lose her benefit for a month. But the decision maker never did. Losing benefits because a person misplaces or loses a booklet is shocking.

I missed my work focused interview once, luckily I wasn't sanction. Adviser said It was fine and made another appointment for me.

thats horrible chrissy, i did kind of guess that that is what they'd do if an interview was missed, they can call it work-related all they want but we all know they treat it exactly like JSA!

had a friend who didnt sign on for her jobseekers for one week and got sanctioned for a WHOLE MONTH! they really are a bunch of swines. any excuse to cut money from people at whatever chance they get.