Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: community care grant

community care grant

Hi
    I'm just wondering what household items can be claimed for under a community care grant as I don't want to make a claim if there's no hope of getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by wiganred View Post
    Hi
    I'm just wondering what household items can be claimed for under a community care grant as I don't want to make a claim if there's no hope of getting it.
    There isn't a list as such, most things can be claimed IF you show a genuine need, thatmeans you have to explain to them what would be the consequence of not having the item e.g. showing the need for a cooker would be easier to show than say a dishwasher. It would also depend on your circumstances in asking for the grant.
    Grants are only available when there is money left in the DWP budget.

M daughter had a community care grant to help when she moved into independance.
    We made a list of things which she still needed such as washing machine cooker etc.
    I must say we were pleasantly surprised at the amount she was awarded and were very please - in fact I sent them a thank you letter
    Sea Queen

I always got the impression that you are best writing a really detailed itemised list of everything that you need and perhaps going through an Argos catalogue to give you an idea.

Apparently, always include even small things like tea towels etc.

The only people i know who have had one, did this and they got about 2/3 of what they were asking for, but this was some years ago.

I don't know how strict they are now.

how much can you receive?

Quote Originally Posted by help_me View Post
    how much can you receive?
    I can't for the life of me remember. I'm sure it was more than £600 though, might be wrong, but this was 6 years ago.

wow thats not bad, can you also receive a community care grant if you're money get stops and you are appealing and somehow they arent allowing you to receive the assessment rate (cos they did say that this will happen to people come april)?

I will probably still have how much my daughter had filed so will have a look later and let you know.
    We had a form given by s/w (I think)
    We were told to look on the net or in catalogues and choose 3 prices putting the middle priced one down. If you are wanting curtains carpets they ask for sizes.
    I will go now and see if I still have it.
    Sea Queen

Quote Originally Posted by help_me View Post
    wow thats not bad, can you also receive a community care grant if you're money get stops and you are appealing and somehow they arent allowing you to receive the assessment rate (cos they did say that this will happen to people come april)?
    Do you have a link to where this new info is re April changes? I've not heard of this and it would be very helpful stuff to have a look at.
    I think that in the present form CG does allow for a grant when it's purely financial needs, whether that would cover loss of benefits I don't know.
    If memory serves me right these grants had a limited budget, that ran from April to April, (something like that) and so if you applied in say march you'd probably be out of luck as the budget had gone.

Hi I can't find the initial letter but have looked in her bank details and she had £1,088 paid in.
    I have checked with my daughter and she also says just over £1000. This doesn't have to be paid back by the way.
    In my daughters case she was setting up a home for the first time so that is maybe why she had that sum.
    Give them a try and good luck
    Sea Queen