Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lightweight mobility scooters

hippy

Unhappy lightweight mobility scooters

Hi all,
    Has anybody any experience with the lightweight scooters such as Auto-go 550, or any along the same line. I need one for my husband and I am the person who will have to put it in the boot of the car. He has a Sterling Pearl at the moment but as he is quite tall 6 foot 1 inch and there is restricted leg room. Some of the very lightweight scooters seem to have more leg room, but what I really want to know is how do they perform on hills and does the battery last well, my husband is 13 stone so he is well within the weight limit, there are very few outlets here and when I have been in I usually end up walking out because they try very hard to sell me something that we dont want, so I will be very grateful to hear from anybody with experience of them.

Thanks

Hippy

Hi, my son works for a not for profit charity that sells disability equipment, they aren't interested in 'selling' you a product because they aren't getting any profit or commission in doing so. You can look them up if you like to, they're called Brighter Future

Admin - For contact details see Angeleye's thread in the 'Suppliers news forum'

Thanks for that Angeleyes, they're quite close to me (about 20 miles). Do they take volunteers?

I have an interest as I'm an engineer and would love to give some of my time (and skills) to a worthy cause like this.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

They're amazing aren't they Paul.

They do take volunteers, yes. They currently have 4 very kind retired engineers helping out right now.

Ask for Sue Griffiths on 01695 724361, I'm sure she'll appreciate the offer

Thanks, I'll give her a call next week.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

My daughter has a manual light weight wheelchair, it's so easy to lift. Batteries can how ever be quite heavy in the powered chairs so I suppose they may need to come off before it goes into the car - unless you buy a pair of lightweight ramps and propell it up into the back?
    Sea Queen

Super Moderator
    Look at the following sections for lightweight and portable scooters:

http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/mob...tiller-2110-p/

http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/mob...ooters-3690-p/

Question about mobility scooters

Hi,
    I work for the Research Institute of Consumer Affairs (Ricability) http://www.ricability.org.uk/.
    I'm currently doing some research into mobility scooters - I am hoping to speak to users as well as suppliers and support centres/professionals in the industry.

If you wouldn't mind me asking you some questions and/or sending you a short questionnaire please get in touch.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
    Lucy

james04k
    Mobility scooters are very useful item that gives freedom of drive to senior citizens and people with disabilities. If you want to make someone more confident and happy then mobility scooter is a best option to give him.

hannah2
    I can recommend Staxi Wheelchair. Lightweight wheelchairs, they have various styles so could be worth checking them out. I'm not sure whether they do electric chairs however, but good to have a look around and see different variations out there.

[admin: link to US website removed]