Thread: universal credit / housing benefit

universal credit / housing benefit

I am completely lost about universal credit and housing benefit

I just had a look at the universal credit rates couple rate is 489.06p and a premium thing for not being able to work (in income related esa support group now) is 303.66p a month but it does not say how much housing benefit or housing element rate is, says its based on where you live, how many bedrooms you need and if you have a illness or disability but it does not give amounts.

As i rent privately mine will be based on the LHA rate and this is going to change in April but i have no idea how much it will be, i know for a 1 bed the cap is 250 a week but my rent is no where near that and nor is the LHA for my area.

Are they going to give me whatever the LHA rate is? but if they did then what the hell is the housing element rates all about regarding couple? single? and disability?

Also says that the UC is a household benefit so both partners claim it, i am in the support group of ESA and i claim for my partner as a dependent, he does not work as i have agoraphobia and other mental health problems.
    It says that you and your partner may be put in different groups (IE one might have to look for work and the other wont) so will this affect my husband? will he have to work unless he claims a carers allowance?

Also my brother is getting contribution based ESA and he is also in the support group, i understand he will still get this but will have to claim housing through UC, and for his child through UC but what about his partner? will she have to claim UC?

As i said completely lost can someone please shed some light on it?

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by sara1975 View Post
    I am completely lost about universal credit and housing benefit

I just had a look at the universal credit rates couple rate is 489.06p and a premium thing for not being able to work (in income related esa support group now) is 303.66p a month but it does not say how much housing benefit or housing element rate is, says its based on where you live, how many bedrooms you need and if you have a illness or disability but it does not give amounts.

As i rent privately mine will be based on the LHA rate and this is going to change in April but i have no idea how much it will be, i know for a 1 bed the cap is 250 a week but my rent is no where near that and nor is the LHA for my area.

Are they going to give me whatever the LHA rate is? but if they did then what the hell is the housing element rates all about regarding couple? single? and disability?

Also says that the UC is a household benefit so both partners claim it, i am in the support group of ESA and i claim for my partner as a dependent, he does not work as i have agoraphobia and other mental health problems.
    It says that you and your partner may be put in different groups (IE one might have to look for work and the other wont) so will this affect my husband? will he have to work unless he claims a carers allowance?

Also my brother is getting contribution based ESA and he is also in the support group, i understand he will still get this but will have to claim housing through UC, and for his child through UC but what about his partner? will she have to claim UC?

As i said completely lost can someone please shed some light on it?
    too many questions too early so much still to be worked out
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/welfare...versal-credit/

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/toolkit/universalcredit

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/f55.htm

As far as I can see the HB rates are the same except for the "Bedroom Tax" which will reduce the amount you get by up to 25 per week.

The HB element of UC will be paid to tenants rather than landlords so is similar to LHA for private lets.

The guidance on the DWP website says:-

Although the majority of claimants renting in the social sector will be responsible for making direct payments to their landlords, vulnerable people and pensioners will continue to have their housing costs paid direct to their landlord.
    The Bedroom Tax starts April 1st and UC kicks in 1st Oct for some.

October 2013 – national launch of Universal Credit

New claimants: They will be able to make claims for Universal Credit from October 2013, while claims for existing benefits and credits will be gradually phased out. From April 2014, all new claims will be for Universal Credit.

Existing claimants: They will move onto Universal Credit in line with a phased approach that we expect to have completed by the end of 2017

This phased process will be completed in 2017 and we will continue to provide information on this, as it becomes available.

davewhit
    UC for most will be monthly

Ian who do they class in the vulnerable people group? My daughter has sever disabilities and was told by our LHA that monies were to be paid into her account for her to pay them her rent?
    Sea Queen

Vulnerable usually means those who struggle with money/budgeting due to mental health issues.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs