Thread: Blue Badge Parking App

Blue Badge Parking App

Hi

Wasn't sure where to post this so if anyone feels it is in the wrong place feel free to move it.

I was just reading this thread http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...y-into-reality
    I made an idea submission for an new app to enable us to have a one click app for sourcing blue badge parking bays by submitting a post code which brings up an instant map of nearby bays. I find it really frustrating that i have to find the correct website for each area then faff around finding the correct page within the site, if indeed, they have one at all!! It would be so much easier to just click app add post code then one click to find what you are looking for. After i submitted my idea it occerred to me that although i have googled several times to find such a thing, i am yet to find it, but wondered if anyone here knows of something similar already in existance?

I am quite excited. I just had a reply from these people. A lady said she is passing on my idea to one of their staff as he is already designing something similar for train stations and maybe he can get this off the ground too! Fingers crossed as it will be so helpful for me. When i get my motability car i have decided to start discovering so much more of my home country. I have travelled all over the world and lived in 3 countries yet travelled very little of Britain.It would be so great to just turn up in a town and find disabled parking at the click of a button.

There is a BBnav sat nav http://www.bbnav.co.uk/index.html but the database it uses is copyright I think. Se also http://www.bluebadgeparking.com/ for some free POIs to download. Some other stuff for Tom Tom etc here http://www.thepieguide.com/services/satnavpoi not sure how much they charge.
    Last edited by ians13770; 03-02-13 at 05:09.

Hi Ians. Thanks for your reply.
    I had a look at the BBNav link. It lists a lot of big retailers who are supposed to stock it, yet not a single one of them actually does!! I am wondering if there is some sort of problem with it not working properly. I can't see why every single outlet including Halfords, Argos and Curry do not even have it listed. I also feel it would be more practical to have it in an app on your phone or tablet pc. It would mean you can either preplan journeys before setting off or doing it in car. Both options are there. Another hitch with incorporating it into a Satnav is that a lot of modern new cars already have satnavs in the car.
    The other links only do POIs which is not really what i was wanting. I would just like to turn up in any city,town or village in UK and know that any available BB bays are listed regardless of whether they are near a POI or not.
    Hopefully we might get somewhere with these innovation idea people.

The BBNav is not available any more but it is still supported on the Pronav site. I have a used one you could have for £50+postage if you wanted to try it. Its got a current safety camera database as well. Let me know and I will PM you my details.

I've just checked for Blue Badge App on itunes - no such thing.

The nearest my town has is a pdf with different types of parking not just BB Bays.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/sc...ownloadID=1350

I would think it's inpractical because I find if there's a special event on in town eg Chinese New Year on Sunday 10 February the Council will close down several streets where there is accessible parking without giving notice where alternative accessible bays are located.

Yes you've guessed it - I happen to be attending another event that lands on this busy day so all the known bays local to where I need to go will be knocked ot of action.

And the Council doesn't have the political will or resources to keep the information up-to-date in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    I've just checked for Blue Badge App on itunes - no such thing.

The nearest my town has is a pdf with different types of parking not just BB Bays.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/sc...ownloadID=1350

I would think it's inpractical because I find if there's a special event on in town eg Chinese New Year on Sunday 10 February the Council will close down several streets where there is accessible parking without giving notice where alternative accessible bays are located.

Yes you've guessed it - I happen to be attending another event that lands on this busy day so all the known bays local to where I need to go will be knocked ot of action.

And the Council doesn't have the political will or resources to keep the information up-to-date in my view.
    I had a similar problem when a local festival closed most of the disabled parking bays and made all the chemists inaccessible. After waving my blue badge at a constable I was told to "go away". I complained to the Chief Constable about the road closures and what had happened and was told that had I rang the Police first they would have arranged access. I said how was I to know that? The following year the bays were open and BBs were let through!

Account removed
    My council decided to have a blood bank where did they put it, on the disabled parking bays, then they had the breast cancer lorry in town on the disabled parking bays, then at Christmas they had a French market guess where they put it. yep disabled parking bays

Its the Police you need to complain to.