Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dla home medical

dla home medical

Hi just wondered if anyone has had a home dla medical, i have one tomorrow and wondered why its a home one, i had a app in Peterborough dec and turned up for it but as had no money for car park they cancelled app. but i have been ringing them ever week for a new app since then got call to say they coming to my home, not sure why and worried what it actually intails ive had 4 other medicals for diff things and found them ok so far but worried about this as been waiting since beginning of sep last yr any advice would be grateful please

Can't help you with what it entails but please make sure you have someone with you as a witness.

hi beau yes thank you will have partner with me as im never on own as my left hip comes out any time so need someone with me at all times

gail it is usual normal practice to have dla medicals at home.

one word of caution make sure on the day you have someone with you and also try to record in writing anything going on, makes life easier should things go wrong later.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by gail36 View Post
    Hi just wondered if anyone has had a home dla medical, i have one tomorrow and wondered why its a home one, i had a app in Peterborough dec and turned up for it but as had no money for car park they cancelled app. but i have been ringing them ever week for a new app since then got call to say they coming to my home, not sure why and worried what it actually intails ive had 4 other medicals for diff things and found them ok so far but worried about this as been waiting since beginning of sep last yr any advice would be grateful please
    its more common at home for dla as others have said have someone with you and fingers crossed

dun serving
    Don't be worried gail but remember when answering questions make sure you base your answer on how you are on a bad day. If the Health Care Professional asks you to do something which will cause you too much pain or discomfort you are allowed to tell them this and refuse to do it. Should this happen make sure it is noted down that you did not comply with the request because of the pain it would cause.

The point is, try to be helpful as much as possible but not to your detriment and without causing yourself pain and discomfort.

Also do not sign anything without reading the notes taken by the HCP and after a few days write to the DWP and ask for a copy of your medical report (so you can check it for accuracy). I did this for my War Pension medical (ATOS HCP) and the report was poorly written and factually incorrect in some places and went against me.

thank you so much for the advice all of you it has helped alot i need to try relax over it just worried incase they say no even though now i carnt manage my stairs and sleep downstairs had to turn front room into bedroom

dun serving
    Gail, even if your claim is refused all is not over as you will have the opportunity to appeal. If you do decide to appeal, don't rush into it as you need to put your case as strongly as possible.

Here's hoping you don't have to appeal.

Hope it all goes well for you. One thing to bear in mind is that the person you have with you, if not your partner, should be same sex in case you are asked to remove any clothing so they can observe everything.

Although they don't like you recording anything you can always use the sound record function on a smartphone to record the examination.

You will be asked questions similar to the ones you completed on the initial application or review application, so if you have a copy of it have a read through what you said on it before the doc arrives to refresh your memory and also to point out if things have changed for the worst etc.

When the examination is over they write a report which you can ask for but only after they make a decision on your entitlement.

Good luck!

Be extra careful when saying you are unable to do anything. For example, bending down or stretching up. Make sure you emphasise that you are unable to do it, not refusing to do it. This happened to me and the Dr wrote that I refused to do certain things. I was turned down for DLA on the basis of his report. I appealed and luckily was then given DLA.
    Good luck