Thread: Sheltered Housing bathroom hasn't been replaced since it was first built in 1985

Sheltered Housing bathroom hasn't been replaced since it was first built in 1985

I live in a sheltered housing where the bathroom hasn't been updated since 1985. I am disabled and have a hip replacement operation due at some stage in the near future. The sheltered housing association are aware of this, and there are other residents who are less or more disabled than myself living in the building. They do have a scheme whereby they will pay 60% or the total cost of a completely new bathroom/wet room if i have pay 40% although the total cost can't be more than £5000. I have had eight estimates so far and it proving very difficult to find someone to do the job below their limit of £5000.
    Can anyone help me with any advice, or information please as i am getting a bit desperate and have very limited funds. Many Thanks Gaynor

Don't know where you live Gaynor, but i have just had small adaptions in my home installed free of charge and the guy who came to do it told me that if the bath became too difficult i could apply to have a walk in bath fitted but would have to be assessed as to how much i could put towards it. Cannot believe companies not being able to give you a bathroom under £5000. Are they fitting gold taps for gods sake!!?
    Have you tried contacting your local social services to see if they can help?

Thanks for your reply Dolly, I just think their trying it on, as some contractors do if your over a certain age! I would have thought that most sheltered housing associations built in 1985 would have had to updated the bathrooms by law if they are housing the elderly with disabilities, but maybe they get round this by the 60% scheme!!!!

You could be right there. As i said, give social services disability department a ring and ask if they have any schemes to help you, or, could they give you any ideas as to who would do the job within the limit you have been set.
    Last edited by Dollydaydream; 22-01-13 at 17:00.

Thanks again for all your advice Dolly which i will follow up. Best wishes Gaynor