Thread: bedroom tax

bedroom tax

i most probably will make a few people angry but need to put a point across why have people of working age got to pay this and pensioners get exempt from this. i know of a few pensioners who are living in homes far too big for their means. shouldnt the government do some thing to ease the housing crisis by offering pensioners a smaller home to free these homes for familys who need them. i am looking to move from our property to something smaller for my needs. the way the gov have done this is morally wrong and unfair. we all know pensioners have worked and paid to live in their homes but exempting them from this is not going to ease housing problem.

I'm with you all the way, istanbul. I think this should have been implemented across the board for everyone or not at all.

davewhit
    i think in the case of oaps there should have been max house size so oap in house up to band d ok.........then e or above minus d then pay 25%

I agree that the 'bedroom tax' is very unfair, and is going to cause more hardship than possibly any other benefit change in the past.
    But there are some valid arguments for not applying it to pensioners. Many older people have lived in their Council properties for much of their adult lives. That was the aim of Council housing in the first place - affordable family housing. And those people are settled in their homes.
    I agree many of them may no longer need the space they have, but they will have made the places their own. They know the neighbours, area etc.and a lot of pensioners do need extra rooms for their families and grandchildren to visit.
    They have also usually worked to fund the pensions which they get, so applying the bedroom tax would in effect erode a benefit which is not means tested.
    Yes - in some cases it would make sense for those who can to downsize to more manageable housing, and I don't have a problem with people being offered the chance to do so. But I wouldn't agree with pensioners being forced to move if they don't want to. Many simply couldn't cope with the stress of moving, and could find themselves in unfamiliar situations and unfamiliar areas. It is morally wrong - just as it is financially wrong for other people who are dependant on the State.
    And what about OAP house owners? Is it wrong for them to still live in homes which are too big for them? So it would be one rule for Council tenants and another for owner occupiers.
    No - Councils are going to have enough difficulty IMO finding one bedroomed accomodation to meet the demand from single benefit claimants who are much better equipped mentally and physically to move and adapt.

Those that want to but are unable to get a property that doesn't attract the bedroom tax will be financially penalised through no fault of their own.

davewhit
    They have also got one advantage no other group has got ! they vote in big numbers I would never have the guts to take on the OAP vote would be the kiss of death.

Last thing an MP wants when out trying to get voters to vote is OAPs standing there shouting at them, picture in local paper and fred west has higher chance of getting job as a baby sitter.

i have a major problem with this tax. at the moment theres 5 people living at property (3 teenagers myself and wife). had occ therapist out last week due to wife having major heart problems. she recomended a stair lift and shower for property we are in which is a 3 bed house. 2 of our sons are leaving home this year which means i will have to pay bedroom tax if they leave also if we get adaptations done we must stay in property for 5 years !! so we are trying to look for a better solution to our problems. we have been told theres a discresionary payment for people who have problems paying bedroom tax but its only a quick fix option not long term.