Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WFI appt - given varying information by ESA - please help

WFI appt - given varying information by ESA - please help

Hi

I have sent in my appeal concerning being put into the WRAG. I sent in my written appeal, statement from my carer and supporting statement from my doctor. My doctor wrote an indepth supporting statement and stated that any structured regime in completely unrealistic for me and that I lose control of my bowel and bladder during seizures which is extremely distressing. She also wrote a lot more but I felt that these were the main points to let ATOS see what my life is like. My carer wrote in supporting statment that during an Grand-Mal epilepsy seizure I lose complete control of my bowel and bladder the wrote what she has to do for me immediately following a seizure including changing my clothing, washing me and cleaning any mess which has gone on the floor - I am cutting a long story short here!

I asked ATOS on 3 or 4 different occasions to please send me a copy of the DM report so I could see how the decision to put me into WRAG was made in order that I could appeal it but it was never sent. They sent me a copy of the doctor's medical form instead. I did call again but still the DM report has never been sent. I based my appeal on the doctors medical form which is full of contradictions. She wrote on one page that i was incontenant during fits but then on the next page put that I am not. The report is full of this. My carer and myself basically went through it and highlighted all these discrepancies and contradictions.

I have received an appointment letter for WFI now. My carer phoned ESA who said that I was to call the number on the letter and tell them that I am appealing as I, my doctor and carer all feel strongly that I have been put into the wrong group and supporting evidence has been sent in with appeal. the ESA operator also said that the WFI appt could easily be deferred until after the appeal if it was all explained. My carer called the number on the letter to be spoken to by a really nasty woman. She wouldn't listen to anything my carer told her and spoke over her the whole way through the call. Even after my carer did get her to listen and told her of my situation, she said that I MUST attend this WFI even though I am appealing and said that ESA had given wrong information. She asked why I had been given a home visit for the assessment and was told that ATOS deemed it as, if there was an emergency at the assessment centre, I couldnt go down all the stairs to get out and that the panic would induce a seizure. This woman said that if there was an emergency during the WFI, it would cause no problems as there are lifts in the jobcentre offices - she repeated this again after being told that if there is an emergency, you can't use lifts! She stuck to her guns and said I MUST attend this WFI at 9.15 in the morning next week. My carer told her that I cannot go to any appts early morning as I have to get up very slowly and take my time as if I don't I will have a seizure. She said she was going to send an email to someone in appts who is (allegedly) going to phone my carer tomorrow. She said that a telephone appt might be permitted but she isnt sure.

Can anything be done? If they insist I go to the appt and I do go, it makes a mockery of my appeal and will most certainly cause me to have more seizures that day - i have between 6 and 8 per week as it is! If i don't go, the nasty woman today said I would be in trouble for failing to keep their appt.

My head is mush.
    Last edited by kath; 17-01-13 at 23:38. Reason: mistake made

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong but if you are able to get sick notes from your GP and send them in then no you don't have to attend WFI.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by kath View Post
    Hi

I have sent in my appeal concerning being put into the WRAG. I sent in my written appeal, statement from my carer and supporting statement from my doctor. My doctor wrote an indepth supporting statement and stated that any structured regime in completely unrealistic for me and that I lose control of my bowel and bladder during seizures which is extremely distressing. She also wrote a lot more but I felt that these were the main points to let ATOS see what my life is like. My carer wrote in supporting statment that during an Grand-Mal epilepsy seizure I lose complete control of my bowel and bladder the wrote what she has to do for me immediately following a seizure including changing my clothing, washing me and cleaning any mess which has gone on the floor - I am cutting a long story short here!

I asked ATOS on 3 or 4 different occasions to please send me a copy of the DM report so I could see how the decision to put me into WRAG was made in order that I could appeal it but it was never sent. They sent me a copy of the doctor's medical form instead. I did call again but still the DM report has never been sent. I based my appeal on the doctors medical form which is full of contradictions. She wrote on one page that i was incontenant during fits but then on the next page put that I am not. The report is full of this. My carer and myself basically went through it and highlighted all these discrepancies and contradictions.

I have received an appointment letter for WFI now. My carer phoned ESA who said that I was to call the number on the letter and tell them that I am appealing as I, my doctor and carer all feel strongly that I have been put into the wrong group and supporting evidence has been sent in with appeal. the ESA operator also said that the WFI appt could easily be deferred until after the appeal if it was all explained. My carer called the number on the letter to be spoken to by a really nasty woman. She wouldn't listen to anything my carer told her and spoke over her the whole way through the call. Even after my carer did get her to listen and told her of my situation, she said that I MUST attend this WFI even though I am appealing and said that ESA had given wrong information. She asked why I had been given a home visit for the assessment and was told that ATOS deemed it as, if there was an emergency at the assessment centre, I couldnt go down all the stairs to get out and that the panic would induce a seizure. This woman said that if there was an emergency during the WFI, it would cause no problems as there are lifts in the jobcentre offices - she repeated this again after being told that if there is an emergency, you can't use lifts! She stuck to her guns and said I MUST attend this WFI at 9.15 in the morning next week. My carer told her that I cannot go to any appts early morning as I have to get up very slowly and take my time as if I don't I will have a seizure. She said she was going to send an email to someone in appts who is (allegedly) going to phone my carer tomorrow. She said that a telephone appt might be permitted but she isnt sure.

Can anything be done? If they insist I go to the appt and I do go, it makes a mockery of my appeal and will most certainly cause me to have more seizures that day - i have between 6 and 8 per week as it is! If i don't go, the nasty woman today said I would be in trouble for failing to keep their appt.

My head is mush.
    until you get told for sure you will have to go, if you go and put your case tell them about your appeal the other meeting might be put on hold or done by telephone.

regards 9.15 appt they will just say get up slowly but start earlier

as for the woman being nasty, she is just a minimum waged person doing a job... if she did not stick to saying you must go and something gets lost in translation people could lose benefit, she will be reading from a script

Thanks for that, will see what tomorrow brings if they do call

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    until you get told for sure you will have to go, if you go and put your case tell them about your appeal the other meeting might be put on hold or done by telephone.

regards 9.15 appt they will just say get up slowly but start earlier

as for the woman being nasty, she is just a minimum waged person doing a job... if she did not stick to saying you must go and something gets lost in translation people could lose benefit, she will be reading from a script
    So I was wrong about sick notes?
    A friend took in a GP sick note for his partner into the JCP doing the WFI and they deferred any WFI untill further notice.
    I don't know the full background.
    When I get a snotty advisor I pretend to get cut off and phone again and hopefully get someone who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    When I get a snotty advisor I pretend to get cut off and phone again and hopefully get someone who cares.
    I often do that as well as when i'm talking to people, even on the phone, i get really stressed, then find it hard to concentrate on what they are saying and get confused and forget what i was about to say.

I hate getting put on the spot, thats one of the reasons why i hate talking or meeting people i dont know.

Thats what i like about the internet, i can take my time with what i need to say.

I'm glad the small supermarket near where i live uses the machine checkouts, then i rarely have to talk to anyone i don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    So I was wrong about sick notes?
    A friend took in a GP sick note for his partner into the JCP doing the WFI and they deferred any WFI untill further notice.
    I don't know the full background.

Not in all cases. has worked for some people as you say, just isn't 100% guaranteed, if you get a snotty perosn to deal with. It's a good idea to phone back and maybe find you get someone else who's a bit more capable. As Dave suggested some won't go off script, so aren't always very helpful. Same with many call centre representatives (thinking of BT overseas call centre here lol) espec if they're having a bad day.

Its all madness to me.

Their arguement is that their doctor who assessed has deemed that I am able to attend these WFI's yet our arguement is that this same doctor contradicted herself through her report form and wrote herself at the end that return to work even in the long term is highly unlikely and that my condition will get no better. My own doctor has echoed this but gone into more detail.
    Last edited by kath; 18-01-13 at 02:04. Reason: tired made mistake

I know , it's just the system. Same thing for those who totally fail and are put on asessment rate, their money drops to asessment rate even although they're appealing and may win at Tribunal.

I've read loads of different threads on these WFI's and there doesn't seem to be a 100% consistent rule, some people get them stopped after explaining on the phone , some after going in once and the advisor sees how the person is, and others with doctor's notes.

Will probably work out fine for you and they'll be delayed, it's just stressful until it's resolved .Try not to worry too much or take it personally. Like any other large system they fall down badly as soon as something doesn't fit the majority rule of logic they're built on. And people are very individual with very individual circumstances.

I'm sure you'll get it sorted .

I do hope so and thank you so much for your input. Its nice to know that there are humans out there that care