Thread: Do I have to inform the DWP if I'm going on holiday abroad?

Do I have to inform the DWP if I'm going on holiday abroad?

I'm going away for 16 days, do I need to inform them?
    I'm getting conflicting information online and figured people here would know better.
    I receive PIP and UC where I'm in LCWRA.

Thank you.

I understand why you are finding confliction answers online, it's a 'yes but no' kind of situation.

The answer is yes, it's best to tell them both before you go of the dates that you will be eaving and coming back.
    Strictly you don't have to, but it could cause questions and problems later if you don't.

PIP aren't really bothered if it's less than 4 weeks, but tell them anyway just to cover yourself.

You can keep claiming PIP for 13 weeks while not in the country.
    26 weeks if you go abroad for medical treatment, you do have to tell them first if you are going for treatment abroad.

Universal Credit is another matter.
    It is a condition of UC that you are in the UK to claim it, so you are supposed to tell them if you go abroad, (but not necessarily before you go).

You can keep getting paid Universal Credit if you’re going abroad for up to a month and if at the start of the absence you don't plan to be away for more than one month.

If you are abroad for more than a month you will get a 'nil' UC award for that months AP, and so no payment on the next due date.
    The claim will still be active, just not paying because you are abroad and don't meet the conditions for UC, so you don't need to claim again when you do come back.

That may be extended up to two months if the absence is caused by the death of your partner, child or close relative who is with you (whilst abroad) - but you have to have informed UC before you went or that extension won't apply.

If you’re going abroad for medical treatment or accompanying your partner or child for treatment, you can get UC for up to six months.
    Again you have to inform them before you go abroad.

Your UC conditionallity still applies while you are abroad, so even on holiday jobseekers are expected to search for work and so on.
    They could even call them back off holiday to a jobcentre meeting or job interiew, and if they didn't attend they'd get sanctioned.
    Apparently that has never happened to anyone yet, but it could do.

From the Parliment briefing paper:
    For payment purposes, legislation allows a claimant to go abroad for any reason for up to 1 month. If the claimant is entitled to Universal Credit immediately before they go abroad and their absence will not exceed 1 month, they can be treated as being in GB. However, they must still satisfy their work-related requirements and meet their Claimant Commitment.
    Of course being LCWRA that wouldn't really affect you as you have no work related requirements anyway.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you, Nukecad.

One more question, if that's OK?
    Can you go abroad more than once?
    I have a holiday booked for the November, but would also like to go away the following April, on the 14th.

This would be another two weeks. Will this be OK as its in another year, or will there be a problem because its two holidays in the space of 12 months?

There is no limit in UC to the number of times you can go abroad, as long as each seperate trip is for less than a month.

Technically you could go abroad for more than a month and as long as you come back to the UK for 1 full day each month that would be OK under that part the UC rules.
    Of course for a jobseeker who can be called into the jobcentre at any time that wouldn't be practical.

Anyone now thinking 'Hey I can live abroad and just come back one day a month to claim UC'?
    It wouldn't work, you have to be 'habitually resident' in the UK to claim UC.

I haven't seen any limit at all for the number of trips abroad under PIP rules either.
    PIP can be paid to people living abroad, but only the Daily Living and not Mobility - of course you need to tell the DWP about moving to live abroad.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

That's awesome news. It's what I thought, I just wanted to double check as my wife was concerned.
    Thanks mate.