Thread: Fiat 500 and scooters - feasible?

Fiat 500 and scooters - feasible?

Hi everyone,
    I'm a newbie on here, and am hoping some of you may be able to advise me on the following:

I have stage 4/5 kidney failure, and have reached the point where I can't walk very far and now need a mobility scooter. The problems are:
    a) I can't lift anything over about 12 kilos
    b) Our car (which we love!) is a Fiat 500.

I have seen a video where a company has fitted a hoist into the boot of a Fiat 500, and lift in a small scooter (a Monarch Mobie, I believe), but I wanted some advice about how practical this is to use.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a small car which has a level loading boot big enough to take say a folded Kymco K-Lite FE? I don't really want to have to dismantle a scooter at the roadside, so am looking at auto folding scooters.

Many thanks in anticipation.

JMcGHome

Auto folding scooter, the 3 wheeled version of a Drive i-whizz weighs 20 kilo and the 4 wheeled version 25 kilo. The 3 wheeled version is only suitable for very flat surfaces like a supermarket or shopping mall due to stability.
    That is speaking from experience, mine is the 3 wheeled version.

Many thanks Beau,

I tried a 3 wheeler in our local mobility shop, and it didn't feel very stable, so four wheels it has to be!

I think we are resolving ourselves to having to change the car, which is a shame, but at least that opens up the choice of scooter.

These might be worth a look (there are other similar products/manufacturers out there).

You'd need to talk to them about suitability for your particular vehicle/model and it's 'maximum static towbar load'.
    (That's different to the braked/unbraked towing capacity figures, it's the weight that you can put vertically on the towbar).

http://www.leighsafes.co.uk/attacharack.html
    https://trilift.co.uk/
    https://castlecaremobility.co.uk/space-rack/
    Last edited by nukecad; 28-07-22 at 08:43.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Many thanks nukecad,

I haven't seen these racks before, so will look into them. Many thanks for the information.