Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selective licensing area

Selective licensing area

Got a letter today, my area has been identified to be full of slum landlords, so the council is introducing licensing. There seems to be an obvious flaw.

They are charging for these licenses, and no one realised this will be passed on to the tenant, and the areas dont have a boosted LHA rate to compensate for this, so its in effect now a renting tax.

Sorry for all the private renting posts lately, just loads of new things hitting me at once regarding it, I calculated the fees to be roughly £17 a month in rent if passed on to tenant.

Landlords are also required to get a reference from tenants, so if this reference is restrictive (such as family not allowed) could be an issue for people who dont know anyone?
    Last edited by worried33; 20-07-22 at 12:43.

Yes you are right, but it's nothing to do with 'slum landlords', it's just a way for councils to get more money by imposing uneeded licences.

The licencing cost will just be passed on to tenants, private landlords don't like it anymore than their tenants do.
    The council doesn't care as long as they get the money.

You might want to have a look at the posts on this forum:
    https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/

It's not just for landlords tenants post there as well.
    Last edited by nukecad; 21-07-22 at 12:46.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Is this license the same as an HMO license in London ? If you have an HMO license do you need this too ?

I emailed a councillor since the letter sent me to me surprise surprise has no means given to contact the council about it, they shield themselves away now days. They dont even answer the switchboard phone number, it just rings and rings.

As to the letter I kid you not they literally gave two specific reasons for picking my area "high levels of deprivation" and "unacceptable occurrences of enforcement decisions against lack of repairs".
    Last edited by worried33; 21-07-22 at 16:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau View Post
    Is this license the same as an HMO license in London ? If you have an HMO license do you need this too ?
    It's different from a HMO licence.

And there are two different types of HMO licence, just to add to the landlords fun.
    One type of HMO licence is required by law (basically over 5 people in 2 different households living in/sharing one property).
    It comes with regulations on fire alarms, fire doors, inspections, etc.
    The other one for a 'small HMO' (3-5 unrelated people sharing) is not required by law but is selective at some councils.
    There are still fire safety, etc laws for a small HMO, but they are less strict.

These other selective licences that worried33 is talking about are an extension to the small HMO licences if you like, not required by law but can be required by the council if they want to.
    They apply to anybody who is letting a property out, HMO or not, so even if you let a flat to one person then you'll need to pay for one if your council brings in selective licencing.

They do nothing to improve rental conditions or tackle 'bad' landlords, despite what the blurb says, the council won't/don't do anything more than they already do (or don't do).
    Oh, except for chasing landlords who haven't registered and paid the councils licence fee.

They are simply a money making scheme that a few greedy councils thought up and got away with, so many more councils are now jumping on the money go round.

The landlord gets an extra bill for renting the property, so the tenant get a rent rise.
    The only people winning are the council - at the cost of higher rents for tenants.
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-07-22 at 11:18.

Thanks nukecad

I agree , this definitely is a money making scheme and they only people who it’ll affect are private tenants like myself .
    It’s unbelievable and will really mean we’ll struggle even more.
    My landlord already has a small HMO license I think as there are 3 of us in this flat but I think 1 person is moving out in a few months , my cousin is then considering moving in , would this mean me and my cousin would be classed as 1 household as we’re related ? If it does how do I verify this to the Council?

A cousin isn't a close enough relative to count, they'll still be a non-dependant person so not the same 'household'.

My last place became a small HMO when we moved in because there were originally 3 of us each with our own bedroom.
    Even when one left it was still classed as a small HMO for Council Tax purposes (no selective licences here yet), just a small HMO with an empty bedroom.
    It used to annoy the landlord no end that he had to pay the Council Tax. Especially as being on ESA I wouldn't have had to.
    Even though it's now empty and up for sale it's still technically a HMO, that will only change if a family buys it or it's rented to a family.

I'd think that your LL will need the new selective personal licence as well as the selective small HMO licence, it's more money for the council for one thing.
    One licence for the person to be a landlord, one licence for the property being a small HMO.

You could think of it a bit like pub licencing has been for a while now, there's a 'premises licence' for the pub itself and a 'personal licence' for the person running it.

Ok thanks nukecad

This selective license, has it been rolled out nationwide ? Or is it introduced gradually ? I’ve never heard of it before this thread so no sure if our Council in London has introduced it yet.

There are three different types of licences for privately rented accommodation
    Mandatory licence
    Additional licence
    Selective licence

Just copied and pasted the above from my Council .

Not sure 🤔 f I’m being stupid but from what I’ve read but the selective license has been in place for a while but says you only need selective if you rent a property to a single person or 2 people .

1- mandatory license for 5 or more from 2 households (HMO)
    2- additional licence 3 or more from 2 households ( HMO)
    3- selective license for a single person or 2 people ( NOT HMO)

So from what I read you don’t need an HMO and a selective.
    I suppose in this case a selective license is for them to charge the landlord even if he was renting a property to 1 ( or 2 people ) which the couldn’t have done if they only had a Mandatory and Additional in place .