Thread: Council Tax Universal credit Proof Question

Council Tax Universal credit Proof Question

Just a quick question, on proof of benefit, under ESA you would have an award letter to prove that you was receiving ESA but what would you use if claiming council tax, as all evidence is online only.

My council has always refused scans or home printed evidence and always required the original letter that they took off to scan lol. So my point is what can I use as proof a bank statement showing a UC payment or something else ?

Just curious how best to deal with it when the documents are required.

Proof of a qualifying benefit is not an issue with UC, because legacy benefits and UC are different when it comes to Council Tax Relief.

Having a Legacy IR benefit automatically 'passports' you for full Council Tax relief, so you have to show the council proof that you are entitled to a 'passporting' benefit.

But UC is not a 'passporting' benefit for Council Tax Relief, because working people can claim UC, so the council have to calculate your CTR entitlement based on your income instead.
    Which means that you don't have to prove that you are entitlred to a 'passporting' benefit. (You can't prove that anyway, because you aren't. UC is not a passporting benefit).

It's that difference between passporting to full CTR and an income calculation which is responsible for a few who migrate to UC finding that they then have to pay a few quid in Council Tax.
    That's not UC's fault, it's the particular councils rules/calculations on income for CTR.
    Most people migrating to UC find that they still don't have to pay any CT, but if your council is one of the stingier ones then you might have to pay a few quid.

It also means that the councils regularly exchange information with UC about how much UC you have been paid each month.
    Then instead of one CT letter a year with legacy benefits you'll get a CT letter each month saying that you have a low income so don't have to pay any council tax for the previous month. (Or possibly only a few quid if you have a stingy council).
    That's a waste of paper and postage costs in my opinion, but the system is what it is.
    Last edited by nukecad; 23-06-22 at 09:51.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks Nuke, that makes sense but it also is another loss for some, if they're then made to pay a certain amount that they wasn't on previous benefits. They do need to make it more equal all round regardless of the difference in living somewhere else. We'll I understand rules are different in Scotland, island, Wales, but the amount shouldn't be different if you are in the same country / region.
    Last edited by TimeLord; 23-06-22 at 12:33.

It's because council tax rules are to a big extent down to the individual council, ie. local government, so not central government or the DWP.

Council tax is all about local funding, and central government is loth to get too hands on with it for fear of being accused of meddling with local government.

If you are affected then complain to your council, or vote in some different councillors?
    Last edited by nukecad; 23-06-22 at 13:46.

Lol I'm currently emailing my MP as to the bogus unfair system and we need leveling up to mean council tax exempt for all disabled people that claim benefits.

Mmm, it's usually the southern councils that have the stingy rules.

I can guess now what your MPs office reply will be:

"Thanks for your email but council tax is a matter for your local council and you should contact them".

It's very rich because it takes years to pass anything.

Unbelievable Nuke, I have a reply, just over two hours after sending it.

"Dear

Hoping this email finds you well.

Many thanks for making us aware of this issue, I can see how the system needs looking into and issue's with relevant proof can be an issue.

I will raise the issue at our next meeting
    Which will be held in two weeks

Please let me know, if I can help you with anything else in future. I shall contact appropriate council officer's.

I will forward the relevant minutes of the meeting and response.

Kindest Regards

Cllr Chrissy"