Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bereavement Death help

Quote Originally Posted by freedomeagle View Post
    My dad passed this year we had to register the death online a wk later hadn't heard so i sent a contact form through the registery site and the next day they rang and booked an appointment the following week. When a person dies they are given a medical death certificate by the doctor who certified they had died you take this with you to the registry office. They gave us the web address and a reference for the tell us once site which i did for my mom and she eventually got letters from council tax dwp they were retired so she got part of his pension added to hers cos of hers being quite low. She got the 25% discount on council tax she wont know if get any more till all his pensions have been sorted and she knows her monthly income. If the property and any other money is under £325thou then you can do the probate form online if its more than that amount then you are better to use a solicitor. Once we get a ref from probate which can take upto a year then you can contact land registery to get his name taken off the deeds. Assume like my parents the property was in joint names and there was a will. You also have to contact the bank where there are any joint accounts and you will need to show them the death certificate. Also any dd on bills that are in both names or just his you have to get the name changed if joint bank account then the dd can still be taken out of there hope this helps. I did it all for my mom by getting info off line and then going to sites. Sorry for you loss
    Sorry to hear your loss. Okay they rang and booked appointment at the registry office to get a death certificate you mean? If so what docs you took with you to this appointment?

You find GRO numbers by doing an online search of the records, the link is given on that 'order a copy ...' webpage but can be confusing because it talks about researching family history, here it is:
    https://www.gov.uk/research-family-history

All births, adoptions, marriages, civil partnerships and deaths registered in England or Wales have a GRO index reference number.
    Find index reference numbers online

You can:

search the GRO online Index of historic births (1837 to 1916) and deaths (1837 to 1957)
    view index reference numbers for free on the FreeBMD website

Commercial companies also have the index reference numbers online, but you’ll have to pay to search them and prices will vary.
    Try using that FreeBMD site mentioned there: https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

You can still order a certificate without a GRO number but it cost more because they then have to do the search:
    If you do not have a GRO index reference number, you’ll have to pay £3 extra for each search.
    Certificates are sent 15 working days after you apply.

If you need the certificate sooner, you can use the priority service for £35. It’ll be sent the next working day if you order by 4pm.

Extra copies are the same price.
    I'm not sure about the other certificates - but as the funeral has already been held then you shouldn't need them anyway.

I thought that you were just helping her to imform people of his death, are you actually doing more maybe even probate of the will?
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-06-22 at 08:29.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    You find GRO numbers by doing an online search of the records, the link is given on that 'order a copy ...' webpage but can be confusing because it talks about researching family history, here it is:

Try using that FreeBMD site mentioned there: https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

You can still order a certificate without a GRO number but it cost more because they then have to do the search:

I'm not sure about the other certificates - but as the funeral has already been held then you shouldn't need them anyway.

I thought that you were just helping her to imform people of his death, are you actually doing more maybe even probate of the will?
    Yes I may have to do the probate of the will too. Her husband has left a will, however will or no will, the spouse automatically inherits the estate of their partner after death correct?

Being executor and getting probabte can be done yourself.
    Probate isn't always required, but getting probate often involves a lot of complicated legal, tax and financial work, so most people prefer to put it into the hands of a solicitor.

Even if probate isn't required I think that you are struggling here and do need to at least consult a solicitor about what you should be doing.

To give you an idea of what may be involved this guide from the Co-op explains what you have to do as an executor:
    https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk...ies-explained/

It includes a link to this section about what probate is and how you go about it:
    https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk...at-is-probate/

Thanks. Yes the appointment was at the registry office, when you do online form to tell them of the death and they ring you to give you an appointment slot they tell you what to bring. We just took the medical certificate the doctor gave us when he came to confirm the death he also emailed them something i think and you need the national insurance number of the deceased and i think my mom had a household bill with her just incase. Hope it goes ok

Being executor and getting probabte can be done yourself.
    Probate isn't always required, but getting probate often involves a lot of complicated legal, tax and financial work, so most people prefer to put it into the hands of a solicitor.

Even if probate isn't required I think that you are struggling here and do need to at least consult a solicitor about what you should be doing.

To give you an idea of what may be involved this guide from the Co-op explains what you have to do as an executor:
    https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk...ies-explained/

It includes a link to this section about what probate is and how you go about it:
    https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk...at-is-probate/
    Hi latest update is I received the Death Certificate today at the Registry Office however I cant see a 12-Digit Reference Number on it required for the Tell Us Once Service.

Lastly the savings in the my Uncles bank accounts that he saved from the DWP. Does DWP have the legal right to have access to those money savings/bank accounts and take it all back?

What's the best advice when it comes to deceased bank accounts without breaking any laws and operating within legal rights?

The big questions there are:

Which benefits are we talking about?
    Some are affected by savings, some are not.

How much in savings?
    The 2 most important points for savings/capital are £6,000 and £16,000.

The big questions there are:

Which benefits are we talking about?
    Some are affected by savings, some are not.

How much in savings?
    The 2 most important points for savings/capital are £6,000 and £16,000.
    Not really sure, my uncle got Pension, pension credit and higher DLA I think.

Generally which benefits are affected by savings and these benefits you can only save up to £6000/£16000 in a bank account? Any other benefit means you can save more than these amounts?

In times of High Inflation the DWP need to increase the cap on the allowed savings to like double that.

It's generally Income Related (means tested) benefits such as IR ESA, IB JSA, UC, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Relief, etc that can be affected by savings/capital.
    Generally, over £6k in savings/capital reduces the benefit payments, over £16k stops them altogether - but the limits are different in some benefits.

Note that it's not just money in the bank that counts, other invesments, property ie. a second home, etc. also counts.

DLA and State Pension are not affected by savings/capital, they are not means tested.

Pension Credit can be affected by savings but there isn't an 'upper limit'.
    The lower limit for PC is £10,000, having more than that reduces you PC payments by £1 for each part of £500 you have above £10K.
    Unless you reached State Pension Age before 6th April 2016 in which case you can qualify for 'Savings Credit' despite having high savings.

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/eligibility
    If you have £10,000 or less in savings and investments this will not affect your Pension Credit.

If you have more than £10,000, every £500 over £10,000 counts as £1 income a week. For example, if you have £11,000 in savings, this counts as £2 income a week.
    For more, including Savings Credit, see also: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information...ension-credit/
    Last edited by nukecad; 17-06-22 at 06:36.

Hi found the marriage doc on the freebmd.org.uk link you provided many thanks. Okay on the doc marriage records I downloaded from that site, where can I see the GRO number on it? The document records are about 40-50 years old looking dated!