Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Energy Payments

There's some interesting wording in todays 'Energy Bills Support Scheme' press release.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/4...ds-this-winter

It relates to if you pay by direct debit:
    Direct Debit customers will receive the Energy Bill discount automatically as a deduction to the monthly Direct Debit amount collected, or as a refund to the customer’s bank account following Direct Debit collection during each month of delivery.
    That raises an interesting question - what if your monthly direct debits are less than the £66/£67.

I interpret it as meaning that if your DD is less than the discount then your direct debits will either stop, or be refunded, for each of the six months.

It's unclear though whether it means that just the DD amount will be refunded to your bank each month or the whole £66/£67?
    I strongly suspect it will be just your DD amount with the rest going towards credit on your bill.

(It does mess up the revised DD amount I had negotiated with them last month. That was based on the whole £400 being a credit and my still paying the DD's each month for 12 months. If the DDs aren't going to be taken, or be refunded, for 6 months then things need recalculating again).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

This makes no sense to me - surely it would be better to use it to reduce the bill?

Yes it's an awkward way of doing it.

I suspect it's being spread like this more for pre-payment meters than direct debits.

There's probably some accounting/tax reason for the suppliers as well to having it spread out.

Like I say though it's buggered up my calculations.
    I'll still have to pay the same amount after the discount, but because of what they are doing with the direct debits I'll have to pay it over 6 months rather than 12.
    So in effect I'll get the discount AND a 6 month payment holiday, but that holiday then has to be made up for again.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeLord View Post
    Just had an email on this payment.

"The Government announced a £150 payment to help with the rising energy costs. In addition through the Government's local discretionary energy rebate scheme you have been awarded an additional £40 payment as you are in receipt of Council Tax Support/Reduction"

So you was correct, it confused me. It didn't last long as I paid part of my eon bill with it. In one hand and out the other.
    Your council broke the guidance?

£144 million of discretionary funding for billing authorities to support households who are in need but are not eligible for the Council Tax Rebate, known as the Discretionary Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoodle View Post
    This makes no sense to me - surely it would be better to use it to reduce the bill?
    It would but they playing the same silly games as they did with the £150 rebate, by trying to make it as visible as possible, simply crediting an energy account probably wouldnt affect the amount of DD taken so it wouldnt be seen as an immediate impact on money to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by worried33 View Post
    Your council broke the guidance?
    Not really,
    The fund is discretionary - so it can (should) be used first to support those who didn't automatically qualify.
    But it can also be used as a 'top up' for those who do.

Like most of these discretionary funds if the council don't use it then they lose it.
    Some councils will not have many residents who don't automatically qualify so will use the discretionary fund as they see best to support their particular residents.

I paid byDD for my Gas for years butthey started changing it and asking for far too much pay for gas I might use in winter, So I stopped paying by DD and now pay an agreed amount each fortnight.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Not really,
    The fund is discretionary - so it can (should) be used first to support those who didn't automatically qualify.
    But it can also be used as a 'top up' for those who do.

Like most of these discretionary funds if the council don't use it then they lose it.
    Some councils will not have many residents who don't automatically qualify so will use the discretionary fund as they see best to support their particular residents.
    That seems odd I would expect the fund to be smaller for wealthier councils if they have less to support. So we get consistency across the country instead of a postcode lottery. But I guess the government was assuming the unused bits would be sent back, and then a council would do what you said to avoid doing that.