Thread: ATOS GPs & Home Visits

ATOS GPs & Home Visits

Hi,
    I've just filled in my ESA50 form and having read the ATOS website about home visits contacted my Health centre about the medical note they asked for regarding not having to go in person to the centre - which is quite a journey for me with nearest parking quite a trek and such a trip will actually cause me to be quite ill for a day or two afterwards. In addition, the centre has been in the news as it's on the first floor and due to H&S rules if you can't use stairs in an emergency .....

So, my enquiry was met by a phone lecture from one of the centres' GPs, which was unexpected as my previous doctor (another area) was supportive and a good listener, the essence of the call was you can't be that bad, so get of your **** and go to the assessment and stop making such a palaver. He also wanted to charge £50 for a note if I insisted, following his own assessment of me at the surgery. (fair enough to an appointment, I've never met him or him me, But £50??)

Like others I've had no cause to see doctors for ages, having been diagnosed way back and was just getting on with it, like you do. The disability advisor I spoke to about this said to write on the ESA50 my reasons for needing a home visit and not worry about a GP who had that sort of attitude. Then it occurred to me the GP could likely be a vested interest and is doing the assessments himself somewhere. Can you find out if your local GPs are also working for ATOS?

This is a hurdle as they ask for medical documentation and mine is now old and of course the fact that you've a permanent & progressive condition dosn't seem to amount to a hill of beans for these people.
    What other experiences have people had about getting a home visit?
    Thanks.

Account removed
    This is sad for me when I had the forms I filled them in sent them in, the DWP asked for evidence so I sent them my prescription for drugs and told them the cost of sending evidence would be into the thousand and a letter from my GP would cost £90 to £600

I then had the letter from ATOS telling me when my appointment would be and that I had to go 14 miles, I phoned up saying that it would be very difficult for me, they asked are you in a wheelchair and I said yes.

I was then told a doctor would be in contact with me for a home visit, I'm still waiting at the moment.

sadly they do look at your condition when deciding a home visit, but when I went down to my local help group they all said they had no problem getting a home visit, you may be unlucky to have contacted the local idiot.

As for evidence I was asked for medical evidence my GP said it would be five or six pages and would cost £600, my consultant stated it would be into the thousands, I told the DWP and Atos and they said they would get the evidence from the consultant and GP.

Firstly your relationship with your GP doesn't sound good, maybe a new GP is a possibility. With their attitude it's not going to help your case, especially for a home visit.
    Can't answer your question on whether they are ATOS moonlighting, not sure it would be relevant anyway.
    Needing a home visit is a very tricky issue that has been discussed many times here and it has never had a real solution. Whilst you are quite within your right to request one and may get one, it is a complete lottery. I was given an appointment at a centre and then 3 hours later got a call asking if I'd like a home visit as they had an assessor in the area that day.
    One thing for sure, if you don't get one and then don't turn up to the centre it may start a whole heap of trouble.
    If you are absolutely sure you can't attend for health reasons but they refuse to budge then you have to provide solid proof that you must have a home visit.

Thanks for the responses so far. My old GP who knew me for 30 years was very supportive, but is now retired anyway. When we moved to another area we found they operate a system whereby all enquiries are first dealth with by receptionists who make you an appointment to speak to a doctor by phone. It's a lottery who rings you and they make a decision as to whether you should have an appointment. They say you can always see your doctor, but in reality it has transpired that you hardly ever do. So the one who called me back was not the GP with whom I'm registered - not that would have made much difference as in two years I've never seen him either - my hip replacement for instance, would you believe, was all arranged over the phone. I thought at least that would have been an opportunity to begin to make some sort of a relationship with the doctor, but not even for that.
    So having been made aware that this man will be asked to write about me - and he's never met me - I wrote a 2 page resume of what the pertinent factors regarding my illness and put them into context with dates and how medication affects me etc. I have made an appointment to see him this shortly and hope that he will have read this and will be supportive, but can't say I'll be holding my breath after my first encounter with the other GP, who I'm now referring to as Herr Hitler.
    I have always been a fighter, but even I can see that I may weaken with the constant anxiety and more than anything, this is affecting my husbands health as well, as he is so worried about me and is not sleeping himself and as a result his IBS has returned. No wonder people just walk away, but not everyone has that luxury.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by cooee View Post
    Hi,
    I've just filled in my ESA50 form and having read the ATOS website about home visits contacted my Health centre about the medical note they asked for regarding not having to go in person to the centre - which is quite a journey for me with nearest parking quite a trek and such a trip will actually cause me to be quite ill for a day or two afterwards. In addition, the centre has been in the news as it's on the first floor and due to H&S rules if you can't use stairs in an emergency .....

So, my enquiry was met by a phone lecture from one of the centres' GPs, which was unexpected as my previous doctor (another area) was supportive and a good listener, the essence of the call was you can't be that bad, so get of your **** and go to the assessment and stop making such a palaver. He also wanted to charge £50 for a note if I insisted, following his own assessment of me at the surgery. (fair enough to an appointment, I've never met him or him me, But £50??)

Like others I've had no cause to see doctors for ages, having been diagnosed way back and was just getting on with it, like you do. The disability advisor I spoke to about this said to write on the ESA50 my reasons for needing a home visit and not worry about a GP who had that sort of attitude. Then it occurred to me the GP could likely be a vested interest and is doing the assessments himself somewhere. Can you find out if your local GPs are also working for ATOS?

This is a hurdle as they ask for medical documentation and mine is now old and of course the fact that you've a permanent & progressive condition dosn't seem to amount to a hill of beans for these people.
    What other experiences have people had about getting a home visit?
    Thanks.
    Anything to do with Atos or the DWP is as big a pain for your Dr as it is for you, the contract between your DR and dwp is set out by the PCT and if you want to do anything outside his contract like copies of records letters to dwp or atos he is allowed to charge £50 is about normal

Even if you pay £50 for the letter Atos don't have to say yes and do turn people down.