Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UC question

A decision maker is looking at the info i sent.

Going to be put on health journey, does this mean a assessment of my health conditions. If so will it change my PIP in anyway.

No PIP is never affected by UC.

A UC 'Health Journey' is just their jargon for the process of deciding if you have Limited Capability for Work (LCW) or Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity (LCWRA).

It is the process of having a Work Capability Assessment.
    That's an assessment not of your health conditions as such but of if those conditions mean that you can't manage any work, it's exactly the same assessment as when claiming ESA.

They have picked up that you have PIP and so believe that you should qualify for one or the other of LCW or LCWRA in UC.
    You couldn't claim ESA while your partner was working, but you can do the equivalent in UC whether she is working or not, and so they are starting that process for you.
    I had mentioned back in post #7 that they would most likely want to do this when you claimed UC.

Getting awarded either LCW or LCWRA will mean that you won't need to jobsearch, and that you/your partner can earn more before it's taken off the UC payments.
    If you are awarded LCWRA then there is also extra money paid with your UC.

What you can expect on this 'Health Journey' -

You should keep a close eye on your UC journal, try to take a look everyday to see if there are any new To-Do's.

They will probably ask you to provide fit-notes from your GP, that shouldn't be a problem just tell your GP that you need them for a while to support a UC claim.
    They should not ask you to look for work while you are providing fit-notes.

You should get a questionaire called a UC50 that asks about your conditions etc. and more importantly how they affect you and prevent you from working.
    Fill it in and send it back.

You may then get an appointment for a telephone call to discuss what you have put on the questionaire, that call is the actual Work Capability Assessment.

After that that they will make a decision on if you have LCW or LCWRA.

All in all it's very similar to a PIP assessment, apart from the fit-notes, but this one is all about whether you can do any work or not.
    Last edited by nukecad; 13-05-22 at 14:39.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you very much for that very helpful.

UC is strange, I got my claim backdated then told the date of first payment. But it has just showed up in bank 3 weeks early. For some reason.

That will be because you asked for backdating of the claim.

They assume that when you are asking for backdating you are already short of (out of) money, and so have a method of getting some to you earlier.

The 'first payment' date that you were given is normally 5 weeks from when you actually claimed.
    You should still get a payment on that date.

However, because you asked for backdating then (usually) once your ID is verified they automatically issue a ' UC Advance' - without you having to ask for one.
    That means that if you have asked for backdating you don't have to wait 5 weeks from claiming for your first payment.
    (Because if you are asking for backdating you've probably already run out of money).

Doing it as an automatic 'UC Advance' is just a simple way for them to make sure that you have some money while they look at your request for backdating.

The advance does need to be paid back, just like any other UC advance, that can happen in one of 3 ways:
    If/when backdating is granted then the backpayment due is used to pay back the advance.
    If backdating has already been granted then it's already paid back straight away. (Just internal accounting).
    If backdating is not granted then you just pay it off over time like a normal UC advance.
    Last edited by nukecad; Yesterday at 07:00.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.